Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Buggy Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Master Fabricator

My next buggy ...

Some of you may know me, I don't know. I've been building and wheeling buggies and Jeep since about 1998. I'm not going to say that I'm any sort of master-fabricator or anything but I do do a lot of home-fab and this is my third all-tube chassis and about 5th rig overall. My last buggy, which I called Thanatos, I built from scratch using all 1.5" HREW, propaned 350, TH350, NP205, 404 unimog axles, then went to rockwells with 42" IROKs. This was one of the best rigs I'd ever owned and was the recipient of all my years of mistakes and learning in terms of fabrication. I built it to take relentless abuse for a min. of 2 years and be a reliable thrasher. It was. I wheeled it closer to 3 years and was one of those regulars at the southeastern parks. I was almost always the first one to show, hit every obstacle, and last one to leave, very rarely busted, never busted so bad that it ended the weekend. I attributed it to the engineering and selection of reliable parts. Unfortunately, this buggy's lifespan came to an abrupt end in Harlan, KY when I double-endoe'd it breaking 5 vertebrae in my girlfriend's back and tweaking the chassis very badly. In addition, when the ambulance came to get her they had to cut portions of the cage out to get her out safely. The thread can be found here.

In its hayday, this is what Thanatos looked like and some build pics can be found here.

The abrupt end of that buggy and the subsequent issues with my girlfriend's back kind of rearranged the priorities in my life a bit. I vowed to start spending more time with her and less in the shop. I vowed to start enjoying things in life other than wheeling. nevertheless, wheeling is a part of her and my blood and building and wheeling buggies will always be my greatest form of relaxation in life. Hence, the beginning of my new build. I haven't come up with a name for it yet. I will just build it and see what people start calling it.

Anyway, as good as the Thanatos chassis was there were some thing I wanted to improve on. The subframe and frame in general was sturdy, but not built to handle the kind of abuse that I eventually was able to unleash on it with the rockwells. So I knew I wanted a chassis that used bigger tube and had a more robust foundation for a subframe. Yet I couldn't give up the sharp looks of a good southern-style chassis. I wanted the chassis to be something that I just liked looking at and was maybe slightly larger than Thanatos. I considered building my own from scratch again but I just don't have that kind of time anymore. After much searching I ended up deciding to go with an Essentially Offroad 321 chassis. It is designed to ride very low using rockwells, a V8, and be plenty sturdy for the kind of abuse that I put out. In addition, it is a builder's chassis, meaning that I could put it together myself and tailor it to fit my specific needs, which I knew was a must for my style of fabrication.

I liked my old 350 but was kind of growing tired of trying to find propane at the last minute. (No one sells it where I live so I always had to find it on the road on trips.) I wanted way more power with a platform that could handle even more power but didn't weight a lot. After a lot hem-hawing between a big block and an LS engine I decided I just could handle weighing over 5000 lbs. so I went with a fresh LS@ out of a 2005 SSR with 23,000 miles on it. I knew I would need a tougher tranny than my old 350 so I got a TH400 which I am looking forward to teaching myself how to build. My NP205 was strong enough but I ended up getting a good deal on a set of new 47" LTBS and to spin that kind of rubber I knew I'd need some more gear. So I threw a set of Lo-Max 3:1 gears in my NP205.

I've been running Stazworks double beadlocks for years and they seem to be pretty indestructible, so why change those, right? I just sand-blasted them and put a new coat of paint on them and mounted up the 47's. The thing is that 47's are HEAVY and they are a bitch to move around in the shop so I mounted them on my brother's buggy, which runs, temporarily while I am building my rockwells:

[img]http://www.patooyee.com/miscpics/ty47b.jpg/img]

Knowing 47's can be hard on shafts, I ordered me up a set of 2" 47-spline shafts from Randy Ouverson for my rear. I had a set of chromo 16-spline Ouverson shafts in my rear rockwell before which will be going in my front end now. The rear will have an Ouverson spool and the front has an Ouverson Ultra Locker. I run Ouverson 8-lug hubs with pinion brakes of my own design. I used to run the standard Toyota/Mazda pinion brakes but was unhappy with their performance, so I drew some brackets up in Solidworks and had a buddy laser-cut them to run a Toyota caliper with a Wilwood rotor:

That's about where I stand as of now. The build has been on hold for a while as I moved shops, built a CNC plasma table, and am installing a 2-post lift in my new shop. But it should be getting going again here soon. My plans include a sub-frame built out of plate with dimples that I will build dies for by hand in my lathe, my custom-designed air-shifted transfer case, and some other neat ideas that may or may not be new. I've got FOA coilovers for the front and SAW air shocks for the rear which I may trade up for some more FOA coilovers later on. Check back here for updates, but dont get mad at how slow I go. I pledged to myself that I would take my time with this build and do it right and include stuff that I haven't had time for in the past. I want to enjoy my time in the shop and not feel rushed. Thanks for looking!

J. J.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Master Fabricator

awesome story, glad all's well and continuing your passion....

I hope for one day to accomplish at least half as you have done.....

'rz Bro, looking forward in watching your progress...
Dog
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Fawsome! Thus far but it sucks how you got there!

Dealing with a chronic back/neck injury I can relate both to the pain and to how it will slap you up the side of the head ans demand that you change your ways. While we drive differently I too have dropped the coin to buy my first "real" seat but it tooke me a bunch longer to prove to meself I am not bomb proof as by 1998 I'd been wheeling for 20 years.... slow learner!
Mine is a Beard, custom built and I am saving for it's mate, for my mate, I have time as I won't start the build for a year...

I'll be watching closely and stealing what I need...

Take Care!
E
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Been down the broke back and new seats road my self. But I can't seem to git rid of the buggy quite yet. Yours is looking good, looking forward to the rest of the story.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks, for some reason its easier to read over here on the OFN. It must be the color or something.
Hopefully I run into you on the trails soon.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Master Fabricator

I spent the day at the shop plaing around yesterday. I stood my new (to me) 7000# 2-post lift up and assembled it. (Still have to run the chains, hydraulics, electric, and drill holes in the floor for it.) Sorry, crappy cell phone pic:

We also played around a bit with the plasma table and got it quasi-running. It moves on its own now and follows an accurate g-code path. Ran out of time to actually hook the torch up and cut anything though. Having a very hard time getting the dual-drive not to bind. I've machined the driveshaft several times, trying all different methods but ultimately if everything doesn't line up perfectly it binds the motor. Maybe someone has some advice for me there? I'm about to get fed up and just trash the dual-drive.

Here's some stuff I've been drawing up in Solidworks preparing for the table to cut.

Rockwell "bomb pan." Do you think it will get hung up more than a mo-hawk or slide over rocks easier than a mo-hawk?

Rockwell boot skid plate:

J. J.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Master Fabricator

I'd like more info on your Plaz table...
PM if you want to keep this thread pure...
Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
Thanatos, I built from scratch using all 1.5" HREW... This was one of the best rigs I'd ever owned and was the recipient of all my years of mistakes and learning in terms of fabrication. I built it to take relentless abuse for a min. of 2 years and be a reliable thrasher. It was.
Did the HREW really hold up that well?? or were you replacing tubes left and right?

i'm really worried about my chassis being all HREW, and i kick myself in the ass everytime i see it because i went the cheap tube route.

if you've successfully beat the snot out of yours my mind will be somewhat at ease.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Really not much to it. I found old used but working Torchmate 1 electronics on eBay and wont the auction. I paid Torchmate for what I didn't get in the auction along with all the little brackets and stuff that I would need to build the table. They sent plans for the table and me and a buddy built the tbale ourselves. Its definately been a long process getting it up and running and we've had to deal with a lot of little stuff that we otherwise wouldn't have had to if we had bought new, but new wasn't in our budget and used was. I've since looked on eBay and haven't seen any other used stuff for sale so I think I just lucked out there ... any other info you want just ask ...

J. J.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by $CEEP View Post
Did the HREW really hold up that well?? or were you replacing tubes left and right?

i'm really worried about my chassis being all HREW, and i kick myself in the ass everytime i see it because i went the cheap tube route.

if you've successfully beat the snot out of yours my mind will be somewhat at ease.
I never replaced a tube on Thanatos and I took some of the worst rolls of all time in that thing. There were at least 3 times that I recall that the people who saw me roll said, "That was the worst roll I've ever seen dude!" One time I rolled off a wall onto my roof on another large bolder. The surface area of the boulder was only about big enough for my roof though so I knew nothing good was going to come from it. Anyway, the boulder was about 10 feet tall and while I was upside down on it I slid off and took the entire 10-foot tall dead-fall directly on the roof. I slid from an upside down position and fell straight down ending up upside-down again.There were a few dents in the top bars but none bad enough to warrant replacing any of them. I wheeled for years liek that rolling several times afterwards and never had issues.

I've used DOM and HREW on chassies before. I've never noticed a big difference in terms of durability. I think it is 99% engineering. Thanatos' cage was engineered to be an impenetrable fortress. NOTHING ever scathed it. Even in the wreck that decomissioned it the cage was undamaged until the fire department cut my girlfriend out of it. I think most important is design. My 321 chassis is HREW too and I have no worries.

J. J.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:36 PM

sick. thanks.

care to pick apart my chassis and tell me its gonna die or it'll be fine?

LOL
Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Master Fabricator

Oops, I forgot, did replace a tube once on Thanatos. You cans ee it in that pic above. It was the driver side shock hoop and it was before it was properly braced. I rolled hard to the side and nailed the shock real hard. Anything would have bent there. It was a design error and wasn't braced properly. It destroyed the shock, too.

J. J.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by $CEEP View Post
sick. thanks.

care to pick apart my chassis and tell me its gonna die or it'll be fine?

LOL
Haha, I'm no expert man. Plus, if you try hard enuogh ANYTHING can be destroyed. :) Link me to it though and I'll let you know what I think.

J. J.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM

ll page build thread here. alot has changed throughout it though.. probably best to start at then end and work backwards

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17

or if you just want to look thru all the pics that are linked there, without sorting thru the BS.

http://dana60.com/sceep/buggy/ and here http://sceep.boogerwelds.com/index.p...sob%2Fbuggy%2F

thanks!!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Maybe i'm being stupid here with tubing but would you not be using REW (CREW) rather than HREW, or do you guys down there call it the same..or is it accualy HREW your using..... LOL if you get my drift..

'rz
Dog
Old 04-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Master Fabricator

I know the difference in CREW and HREW you speak of but no supplier down here knows it. Subsequently, CREW is EXTREMELY difficult to obtain, even moreso than DOM, and is often even more expensive than DOM. Thus, it is HREW that I am using.

J. J.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Master Fabricator

Ah Kewl JJ, ( I knew you Knew, your experience is way beyond mine) figured had to be some reason.. and good to know it works well all the same...

Somethin' else I learned today.. I will be able to sleep tonight yet....

'rz Bro, thanx
Dog

Last edited by FrogDog; 04-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Master Fabricator

I don't know that I have any more experience than you. I still feel like I am a novice and learning. That is why I post this stuff ... to get ya'll who know what you're doing to show me where I'm going wrong. :) So now you're telling me this is all just the blind leading the blind? Great ... I'm dead! :)

J. J.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
I spent the day at the shop plaing around yesterday. I stood my new (to me) 7000# 2-post lift up and assembled it. (Still have to run the chains, hydraulics, electric, and drill holes in the floor for it.) Sorry, crappy cell phone pic:

We also played around a bit with the plasma table and got it quasi-running. It moves on its own now and follows an accurate g-code path. Ran out of time to actually hook the torch up and cut anything though. Having a very hard time getting the dual-drive not to bind. I've machined the driveshaft several times, trying all different methods but ultimately if everything doesn't line up perfectly it binds the motor. Maybe someone has some advice for me there? I'm about to get fed up and just trash the dual-drive.

Here's some stuff I've been drawing up in Solidworks preparing for the table to cut.

Rockwell "bomb pan." Do you think it will get hung up more than a mo-hawk or slide over rocks easier than a mo-hawk?

Rockwell boot skid plate:

J. J.

<thread hijack> how high of a ceiling do you have to have to use a two poster?</thread hijack>
Old 04-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Master Fabricator

sign me up for this one!