Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Buggy Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Old 07-27-2008, 03:21 AM
Junior Fabricator

Need help on the chassis for the buggy

I'm completely new to this fabrication field so please do ignore my silly questions if any.
We're at present building a Baja vehicle with a 250cc 9hp LOMBARDINI gasoline engine.I have doubts on the chassis and the rollcage of the vehicle.
Is it better if the chassis is inclusive of the rollcage or is building the rollcage separately and bolting it to the chassis more effective ?? the width of the vehicle cannot exceed 64 inches and the rollcage can only be steel.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Master Fabricator

Sounds like a good candidate for Bend Tech Pro
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment
Old 07-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Master Fabricator

On something that is this small I'd absolutely recommend that the chassis and the cage be one piece; if for no other reason then weight. The bolted joints represent a "potential" weak spot, they also will out weight the same linear length of tube by as much as 100x the length of tube the joint would replace.

I'll second the BT recommendation!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Master Fabricator

I'll third the bend tec comment. It's the coolest thing I have seen in along time.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Junior Fabricator

Thanks a lot guys.......now moving on to the suspension system...what suspension type do you recommend for this config? The vehicle is rear wheel drive.As of now we've decided on A beam in the front...
Old 07-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by souledge View Post
A beam in the front...

"Beam" as in 'VW'?
"A" as in 'A-Arm'?

Not that i have an answer, I'm just not clear...
Old 07-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
On something that is this small I'd absolutely recommend that the chassis and the cage be one piece; if for no other reason then weight. The bolted joints represent a "potential" weak spot, they also will out weight the same linear length of tube by as much as 100x the length of tube the joint would replace.

I'll second the BT recommendation!
x2 integrated into the chassis would be much stronger and lighter than bolting it on the the chassis.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
"Beam" as in 'VW'?
"A" as in 'A-Arm'?

Not that i have an answer, I'm just not clear...

Yup "A-Beam" as in 'A' shaped control arms
Old 08-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Junior Fabricator

Bolt and weld to chassis. That way it's strong enough if it rolls, and you only have to grind the welds off and replace it if it get's damaged.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy_9005 View Post
Bolt and weld to chassis. That way it's strong enough if it rolls, and you only have to grind the welds off and replace it if it get's damaged.
No.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Master Fabricator

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by souledge View Post
Yup "A-Beam" as in 'A' shaped control arms
Thats why it's called an "A" arm, a beam suspension involves torsion bars or leaves
Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Junior Fabricator

Ok im very very new to this site, havent even posted yet. but ive been reading articles every single day on this site and im not trying to bash anyone or anything but it really seems like everytime someone has a problem that is a newbie the owners of tool supply companys and people who seem to work for bend-tech seem to chime in and just say o go buy our $500 software and thats about it, i mean im sure the software is AMAZING but everyone here knows that this software wasnt always available and there is other ways of doing it which might be alot more helpful in the long run then software, LEARN FROM DOING! just face the fact your gonna waste tons of tube and start bending. Again im not trying to be rude and sorry if i am.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Master Fabricator

It's not that everyone in here works for them, its that the program is that good. I personally can't wait till I can buy it. I've seen others use it and have been amazed at how much simpler it can makes things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksolidfabrication View Post
LEARN FROM DOING! just face the fact your gonna waste tons of tube and start bending. Again im not trying to be rude and sorry if i am.
That's one of the things about BT that makes it worth buying. Why would you waste tube when it's not necessary? I just finished pricing up the steel for some upcoming projects and the tube I need runs about $130 for each 20' length. If I "learn" on two pieces of tube I just spent $260 making scrap. I could have spent $275 on BT Pro and not wasted that material. With the amount of tube some of my builds will be using BT will pay for itself within the first project or two.

And like I said, this is coming from someone who doesn't even own BT yet, let alone work for them. You better believe I'll be praising it even more once I get my hands on it.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksolidfabrication View Post
Ok im very very new to this site, havent even posted yet. but ive been reading articles every single day on this site and im not trying to bash anyone or anything but it really seems like everytime someone has a problem that is a newbie the owners of tool supply companys and people who seem to work for bend-tech seem to chime in and just say o go buy our $500 software and thats about it, i mean im sure the software is AMAZING but everyone here knows that this software wasnt always available and there is other ways of doing it which might be alot more helpful in the long run then software, LEARN FROM DOING! just face the fact your gonna waste tons of tube and start bending. Again im not trying to be rude and sorry if i am.
The only one here that 'works for' Bend Tech is Cris (Fabcam), but it is more like he is the owner of Bend Tech. He also owns,operates, and pays the bills to have the OFN here on the internet for all of us to enjoy. So yes all of us that enjoy the awesomness of Bend Tech, and the ones that know what it does, do our best to steer the 'noobs' in the right direction at the same time helping support Bend Tech, which in turn helps us all. And it doesn't necessarily cost $500 to get Bend Tech, I believe you can get the basic version for under $100 and upgrade as you need, only paying the difference to the next level.

I'm not saying you can't bend tube without Bend Tech (I did it for years), but if you intend to do any decent amount of tube bending, why not make use of it. I view it as "stepping into the 21st century"
Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Master Fabricator

I have to chime in on this one. With the 321 buggy kit coming in at ~$3000 and tube at ~$100/stick a person could buy bend tech at $275, 10 sticks of tube ~$1000 and a bender ~$500 and single die $300 and be roughly $1000 ahead wich should pay for your time to design and build. Now you are a little older have a buggy chassis a grand in your pocket unless you spent it on beer during the build and some kick ass tools. Don't forget that now you can build a buggy for some buddies and put a little more coin in your pocket.