Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 02-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Junior Fabricator

Your fabrication work on this absolutely has me floored. Everything you're doing is incredibly clean, exceedingly well thought out, and definitely outside of the box. I'm a Cummins fan, a crawler, and a hackricator so I'm appreciating all aspects of this build. Hats off to you and keep at it. I'm love to see all your ideas come together as a finished product.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 AM
Junior Fabricator

Just read the entire thread, and I'm subscribing. I'm a huge fan of the Power Wagon/Carryalls from the 40's. Great fab work and can't wait to see it progress.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
I've also been burned out lately by the internet "Trolls". There are people out there who go out of their way to trash talk this project simply because they still believe I am ruining a piece of history.
Ugh. Who raised these people? I see it way too much on a lot of other forums which is one of the reasons I hang out here.

It's looking good! I like the radiator stuffed in the cowl. I see you use the same supplier for radiator cores that I do...I'm just going to start building a couple radiators for my own project tonight.

Keep after it, and don't let the haters get you down.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Master Fabricator

sounds like you have plenty of people backing you here
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Many thanks for the compliments. You guys sorta came out of the wood work these past few days; it actually motivated me to go out and ruin some more sheet metal last night... Not ruined yet, I have one last flange to try and roll into it and that will be the moment of truth. Its just the vertical seat back panel for my driver's seat frame, but its an aesthetic piece so I want it to look right.

Here is a pile of pictures of random things since my last photographic update.

And again, thanks for the support. I think getting away from the "purists" will help my stress level and be able to keep on track with MY vision of the vehicle and MY purpose for it. Thanks folks.

Stacking cores. Still need to get my Transmisison and PS coolers in behind the AC condenser core. I am officially out of room and am trying to design some simple yet stout support brackets that cause minimal interference with air flow and yet are not fatigue prone details; last thing I want is for the intercooler to fatigue crack at whatever support and then fall into the radiator and chew a hole.. or whatever.

So I am also building my own seat frames to replicate the originals...ish. Some adjustment, better materials, and the wife wants heaters put in the front two (which is not a big deal nor that expensive according to my upholstry guy).

So, adjustable drivers 60/40 seat frames... So far just the Driver's is underway. Nothing fancy material wise, actually 3/4" sched 40 pipe. For the seats its dimensionally identical and texturally similar as well. And cheap enough if this whole idea turns out to be scrap it won't be a huge financial loss in material. I'll have the frames blasted and coated when the truck gets painted; or use them as test templates for the chassis color since they are small parts that would be cheap to have recoated to match the final decision in the end.

The dog makes it a point to stand in front of whatever I point a camera at. Its funny sometimes but usually ends up with "MOVE DAMNIT!"

Ohh and the wife's new whip... luckily she had been stacking HER extra money from her side jobs to put a down payment on it. Its several years used too so don't get any ideas; she works 4 jobs and we don't have any kids and don't travel or hit the bars or smoke or anything; we just like our vehicles. These things aren't as expensive as people think once you finally go in and start to talk real world numbers and compare it to any brand modern SUV these days. Heck, I don't know if I could justify a new car payment with as much as EVERY vehicle depreciates off the lot these days. I have to admit that I do like driving it. 510 HP Supercharged Jag 5.0 V8 with AWD... Quite fun to mess with the Civic's and such at lights when they try to hold you out of a merge lane.

The dum dum salesman parked it in the handicap space for the picture .

Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Master Fabricator

Your attention to detail is outstanding. Beautiful work!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Master Fabricator

And here is one from just today on a Power Wagon forum. One of the few last places I thought I was safe... ugh...

Old 02-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Good Lord. I'm sort of ignorant on these trucks, but I would have to think there were thousands of them originally built. It's not like you're hacking up some unobtanium Ferrari or Maserati or something. People need to find something better to do with their time.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Lovely work and it's great to see a truck like this being turned into a usable and relatively economical machine,super..oh good luck with the new car,lots of em over here(not such a good rep im aftaid though )
Old 02-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Fwiw

Some males of the species when they discover they have real small tools and bits predictably compensate... Chad is one of those.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Master Fabricator

We should all join up on their website and have fun...
Old 02-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.S.F.W View Post
We should all join up on their website and have fun...
. . . and fun it could be but board wars are generally frowned upon...

That and this is the first Dodge I've seen in a long time worth anything, I'd wheel it!
Old 02-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Fabricator

Ignorance abounds on the internet and you have obviously heard from your fair share of them. Keep up the amazing build. I love the updated take on old iron.

Sounds like there wouldn't be a hot rod industry if Chad had his way. Does this mean I have to restore my 72 Blazer? I should probably send my build plan to Chad for approval before I do any more work.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
. . . and fun it could be but board wars are generally frowned upon...

That and this is the first Dodge I've seen in a long time worth anything, I'd wheel it!
I do lots of things that are frowned upon. Such as... I wheel a dodge.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Master Fabricator

FTW - **** the world and what they think.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Master Fabricator

I'm reading this thread while the TV is playing in the background. I just looked up to see Ian (xtreme off-road) take a sawzall to the bed of an M715 military truck. He ain't restore'n it! It's a cool build, but not as cool as yours. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:04 PM
Junior Fabricator

Coolest build thread I've seen in a long time. Nice work.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:30 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
And here is one from just today on a Power Wagon forum. One of the few last places I thought I was safe... ugh..
I get the same crap, but I rather enjoy pissing off armchair experts whose automotive experience is 90% from behind a keyboard. I got a few uninformed comments about my G-wagen when I made 3D printed taillights and bodged together a heater box that I clearly stated was only needed for one winter. Also had one optimistic idiot "threaten" to buy my Charger when I put an electric fan in there. It was never for sale.

Building a classic that will be used and seen out in the world is the best possible thing that can happen to it. Building a museum quality piece that will sit in someones private collection and never see the light of day is useless. Funny how people find it so easy to tell strangers what they should do with their stuff/money/time.

Thumbs up for keeping another awesome vehicle out in the world where it can be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne View Post
Sounds like there wouldn't be a hot rod industry if Chad had his way.
Going back a few decades to a time before this intraknet thangy the pure hate from the restorer types when you chopped, channeled, sectioned, raked, or use a chevy in a ford (yuck! LOL)... This smallmindedness is much older then today and the Street Rodder thrived, same thing when the Rat Rod happened.
Today it is just that LittleMinds have an easier time in expressing their undeveloped intellect. The sad part is that most of these types have reached their full mental potential
Old 02-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I don't really see why Chad warrants a response at all from us or from you. Don't let that silly comment get under your skin. He obviously comes from a different position and has the Internet between him and you as an excuse for trolling. My advice is to take the high road, don't reply at all - there is no need to.

I like your wife's new ride. A friend of ours had one and it was really cush inside - made me feel like a sultan riding in the back.

The new seat frames look good. Maybe you can get some tips/advice from MetalTwister (he has a seat business, Begal' Racing).