Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Buggy Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Old 08-15-2016, 10:35 PM
Fabricator

Considering a build

I recently came across the Badland buggies and decided I had to purchase a set of plans from them. I figured the knowledge gain from modeling a complete buggy that's known to work would be worth the price of the plans.

I opt'd for the Megalodon plans, because it appeared to be the highest performance. After a couple nights with BendTech, I had a fairly complete model.

The more time I spend playing with this model, the more I want to actually build one. I've contacted some of my friends in the mini-sprint world and have some leads on late model liter bike engines already.

What's holding me back to a certain extent, is that there's not more of a build community. I joined minibuggy.net and I see there's a dedicated forum here (of course), but there's not much activity.

Is that simply due to the overall downfall in forum participation lately, or is it because the performance really isn't there? Even a conservative calculation shows that a well equipped Badland buggy would SMOKE a RZR 1000 (assuming 100% traction) - and those things are everywhere.

I'm going on a bit of a tangent - I'll try to reel it back in.

Assuming these things are as awesome as I think they'll be, what are your thoughts regarding the chassis? Is the Megalodon truly the ultimate chassis? Are there plans for others that are better?

A two seater would be fun, albeit lower performance. Does the ST4 utilize the same modular suspension as the Megalodon? Would it be a better idea to build the ST4 or modify the Megalodon to accommodate 2 people?

I know there's a lot of questions here, and I'll probably have to come to the final conclusions myself, but I thought I'd toss a fresh thread in here to spark some discussion.

Let me know your thoughts. Badland vs Others. Megalodon vs ST4 vs Megalodon+1.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:13 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm building an AR51 buggy in my spare time. It seems to be very similar to the badland's buggy. The megalodon looks to be slightly bigger. In the woods around here that could be a bad thing. I really like the looks of the ST4. There's not much activity on any of the mini buggy forums that I've seen. Builds are time consuming and just don't seem to happen very fast for most of us.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11535
Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Master Fabricator

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...IpSVWn6QCaE_Sw

Check out the stiletto.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Fabricator

The Rorty's seems pretty popular. I just came across Tut Tech's builds - very attractive machines. Unfortunately, Tut doesn't offer any plans.

I may have jumped the gun with the Badland plans, but I like where it's taking me. These little buggies are pretty cool. There's much to learn.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Master Fabricator

"jumped the gun with the Badland plans"

I'll agree with this.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Fabricator

Haha, hopefully the purchase doesn't completely go to waste. If nothing else, it kept me occupied for a few days and pushed me to open the door to the world of mini buggies.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I would love to build something like this, but it would have to be a two seater for me. I want to share the experience with the wife, kids, or a buddy etc without having to build a separate machine for everybody. With two seats, you can swap places whenever you want and feel comfortable letting buddies try your ride without leaving them by themselves. If you are riding with other people on dirt bikes, quads, SxSs, etc then having another seat may not be a big deal, but I like being able to invite anybody to come have fun with me, even if they don't own a machine of their own.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Fabricator

That's a valid point for sure, and it's weighing pretty heavy on my mind. When I envision a mini buggy, minimizing weight and maximizing performance are the main goal. I'm worried about building a two seater and having it be relatively sluggish.

In the same breath, I'll likely have to travel a good distance to ride, so I'll be bringing other people along for the trips. If I had a local park that I could skip over to for a quick day of riding, I may be more apt to build a single seater.

I'll definitely vet the thought of a 2 seat rig. We'll see where the chassis designs end up, then I'll be able to decide which direction I want to go.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm kinda of the same train of though on the mini buggy. It should be light and nimble. Two seat mini buggies usually aren't so mini as carrying two full sized adults take some room. Whatever you decide on will still be an absolute blast.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Fabricator

Well I splurged on a set of R16 plans from Rorty. Currently in the process of modeling it up. After much thought, I think a two seater is the way to go. I may build a Megalodon down the road just for kicks, but I'd like to share the experience with a passenger on this first one. I have a Duratec 2.0 sitting in my shop that I'm considering using as the power plant. The additional torque of the car engine should pull around two people pretty good. I'll post up once I have a fairly solid, solid model.

Last edited by Bray D; 09-11-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Fabricator

The model is progressing pretty well. I've been bouncing back and forth between BendTech and Fusion360. I wanted parallel models so I could use Fusion to add other components that would be difficult to model in BT. Hoping to model this thing as close to complete as I can before cutting any material.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice model!

I would take Rortys designs any day over the badland stuff.

Keep an eye on the back end, they always looked just a little short. The guy on mbn that added an RPM gearbox had to add an extension out the back.

I'm just trying to get started using Fusion, pretty cool, I haven't tried tubing yet.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:17 PM
Fabricator

Thanks man. I like the design more than the Badlands one for sure. As it sets right now, it's pretty accurate to their prints. I took some design liberties as I constructed it, but nothing too novel.

I look for the final design to be quite a bit different than the 'out of the box' plans. We'll see how it progresses as I start throwing other parts on it.

Fusion is awesome. It's a free CAD/CAM package that's proving to be on par with SolidWorks. I'm a design guy for a machine shop, so I operate in SolidWorks all day every day. I rarely work with tubing and weldments though.

That being said, creating structural members in either program is easy peasy. Simply sketch a path, then select Create > Pipe (in Fusion) and enter the geometry for your cross section (1" OD, .120" wall, etc). Click the sketch as your path and you're done.