Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Buggy Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Junior Fabricator

Old school water pumper dune/street legal toy.

All of my life I have wanted to build a dune buggy/sort of hot rod thingy. I have started to do it. Here is some info on it. Power----396 chevy bored .060, hi lift cam, but no extended duration---366 heads (the heads on my engine were from a 454 and were open chambered. The engine man had these heads just laying around so we decided to use them)---- Radiator out of a 67 Camaro, along with the power steering pump-----Front axle out of a Wrangler Jeep----power steering out of the Jeep----power brakes out of the Jeep----Rear diff out of a 80 something 3/4 ton pickup, 4.10 gears-----That will do for starters.

I sawed the 3rd member out of the front axle, and replaced it with the same 2 1/2 " tubing that it was made out of. I extended it out 5" to match the rear diff.

I am starting on the frame now. I am using 2" X 3" .120 wall rectangular tubing. I am going to use the Jeep steering linkage, and after 3 days of trying this and that, I have finally figured out how I am going to build the front of the frame. I am going to suspend all 4 corners with air springs.

I have been reading a lot of information about 4 link suspension, which is what I am going to use on both ends. I have looked at some of the people's work on this site, and it is impressive.

You guys seem a lot more civilized here than on some of the other forums, which is why I came here. I don't have any questions today, but I will no doubt have some in the future. Money is tight, but it is fun to me to figure out how do something with what I have. I am going to build me a jig to hold the front axle in the position that I need it to be in while I start to work on the front suspension.

If anyone has any questions, or things that they think that I should be aware of please give me a shout.

Dave
Old 07-02-2015, 09:57 PM
Master Fabricator

You couldn't find a 8 lug front diff with 4.10 gears to use. Much easier than converting Jeep diff. Pics would be great! We love pics!
Old 07-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Junior Fabricator

Actually, Deaner, this thing is heavy enough as it is. I did not want to build a 4 WD buggy, just a 2 wheel drive. I did have access to a 3/4 ton front diff, but I would have had to cut the 3rd member out of it too, and it would have weighed another 100 pounds. I will see if I am smart enough to put some pictures in here, I do have some.

Dave
Old 07-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Junior Fabricator

I think that I am mentally challenged! I took some new pictures, and I can't even get the bloody things out of the camera, let alone get them to this site. I will see if I can find me a 10 year old to show me how to do it. I have work to do, I will get back here later.

Some days are diamonds, other days are stones. My ice maker just quit, and it is 98 here. The priorities have changed---------AGAIN. LOL

Later, Dave
Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Master Fabricator

Sorry, I missed the part where you completely cut out the third member. I thought you were making it wider and 4wd. Find a youngster to help you with the pics.