Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Buggy Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Master Fabricator

my first 4x4 buggy

hey guys, i built my first buggy ever about a year ago for a customer, a little single seater off road racer, the builds on here somewhere, and since then ive been saying id love to build myself a buggy but never realy did anything about it, well two weeks ago i came accross a suzuki escudo swb 1600 16v for pennys and couldnt turn it down. i only had it back to the shop took it down to the site and started messing on the mounds of clay. i was realy suprised how capeable it was off road, (and with slick road tyres too). so brought her straight back in and got to work. the plan is a budget buggy. just a little all rounder i can have some FREE fun in.

Unfortunately my camera was broken and i couldnt wait to start the build, all that was missed was the boring stuff, taking off the body etc. so over the last two weeks i have been working on it in my spare time if i get any and so far i have striped the chassis bare and shortened it by 11 1/2 inches, choped the rear end by about 14 inches, and the front by about 4. i then cut out the crappy stock crosmembers and started bracing with tube. With the new chassis complete i refitted the engine,trans and axles, and got to work on the tube frame. started with a blank canvas, im designing this as i go along, main objective, make a safe, functional fun buggy.

since its a budget project im mainly using HERW mechanical tube, the main frame/hoop/legs and rear stays are 48mm x 3.2mm wall, and all other brace bars are 42mm x 2.5mm wall, a little over kill for a light buggy but hey better safe than sorry.

so yesterday i got a new camera, charged it and this morning went to work, and this is where the build thread starts.

how it looked this morning.

tube transmision tunnel.

new rubber that arrived on friday, cant wait to get these on

and new seats, pair of FIA momo's. there light and very safe.
there not bolted down in this pic, i still have to make rails for them,

so thats where i started this morning. only just got stuck in and got a call, it was stuie, he's my best mates 16yr old cousin, he's been working the odd saturday for me cleaning up, and i mentioned yesterday that i might work on the buggy today, so he called and asked if he could help. i said no worries and went to collect him. i started with the easyiest bar possible to try show him
how to measure cut and notch tubing. things went slow for the first few hours but by lunch time he had it down. he made a few mistakes, but a quick learning curve, i could literally say i need a bar for there and he'd be able to do the whole lot on his own and give me a finnished bar ready to weld in. all in all we got the front cross bar, front tri braces, main door bars, windscreen center bar, roof center bar, hoop to front leg gusset, leg to window gusset, rear diagonal, re-made the transmision tunnel as it hit the new seats, and finnish welded the rest of the frame. started off slow but all in all a good days work, had fun teaching too. so this is where were at now,

next is finnish the door bars, double x in the roof, finnish rear x, and triangulate the rear stays, finnish off tube front end, make mounting for winch, and bumper.

thanks

Ronan

Last edited by roco; 05-09-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Junior Fabricator

Hey many that thing is sweet, but i think you should know you put the steering wheel on the wrong side..........just kidding. i like the tires what are they? are you gonna street it or strictly off road it.

Last edited by buckinbronc717; 05-10-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Master Fabricator

IFS? is this an all round single seater? beam axles are much better for the rocks, but seeing as how you're in the UK theres prolly more mud than rocks...
Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Master Fabricator

the tires are kumho kl71's. it strictly off road only.

its a 2 seater buggy, its a budget all rounder, so ill be leaving it IFS for the moment, but i plan on swaping toyota axles front and rear in the future.
oh and im in IRELAND, but ill let it slide this time, lol.

thanks

Ronan
Old 05-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Master Fabricator

got the winch today, 11,000lb t-max outback, should be enough for a 2000lb buggy. ill get pics up of the progress tomorow.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:02 AM
Master Fabricator

frame is 99% finnished, all i have left is a few small straps in the bulkhead and the spare wheel carrier, im prety happy with the result.

got the winch before the weekend, so fabed up the front end to suit it. its sitting on 6 x 10mm plate, and full tube frame built around it, it may have to be removed from the back as im thinking of putting mesh over to protect the rad,
i also mounted two towing shackles on each side of the main tubes for winching off, think i have everything coverd, but you always forget something.

i have a small bit left to finnish then it gets striped back down, and sent to powder coat, while its away, i have some maintainance on the engine and transmision to do, i also want to sand down the axles and drive terain and give them a fresh lick of paint.

Last edited by roco; 05-18-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Master Fabricator

right got a good bit more done, frame is finnished, and prety much ready for paint. i mounted the passenger seat rail, new tabs for the sheel metal to bolt to, and caped all open ends.

new custom fuel tank, its not very big (about 25L) but ill have jerry cans on board for extra fuel. plus we dont go very far on any one trip so refueling is no problem.

steering column brackets. they pick up the main mounts on the column and strenghten it a good bit. that reminds me i have to make a bitch handle for passengers.

started to make a tool/utility box for the back to hold jerry cans, tools, recovery gear etc. made the main frame to get the idea, ill brace it and sheet it later, it just bolts on and off the four tabs on the back stays.

next is just the strip down and off to paint.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Master Fabricator

looks like fun :)
Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Master Fabricator

forgot to update this one too. got the frame done, then reassembled. was sitting 95% done in the corner for the past 8months or so, and last week i got the finger out and finnished it. its good fun. and a bit quicker than i expected. .

Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Master Fabricator

oh and heres a video of me messing during the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNYk4aA95hk