Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Metal Sanders

So After my Millermatic 211 Purchase, the next thing I bought was a 1HP 10" grinder. I'm thinking I would like to get a belt/disk sander combo as well, or at least make one or the other.
I have a pretty good source for surplus electric motors locally for pretty cheap, and its got me thinking about making some tools. Has anyone made something like that before?

I also picked up a 1/2 HP 1750 RPM motor last week for $20 and i'm trying to figure out what to make with one that small.
I was thinking about using that one for a disk sander, but not sure if it has enough power.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Fabricator

Check out this idea, you could probably make something like this up in a day or two.... http://www.mickleyknives.com/html/no_weld_grinder.html
Old 04-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Junior Fabricator

Iíve been thinking of a bench mount drum sander for cleaning up the inside radius of gussets, tubing, etc. Basically a small flat table with a drum sticking up through the center.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Master Fabricator

that would be cool too, and not too hard to make
Old 04-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Junior Fabricator

I think it would be a good compliment to a disc sander, which I seem to need every time I use my POS cold saw.
What do you think about the Auto-Set feature on your 211? I was skeptical at first with my 180, but now itís all I seem to use.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Master Fabricator

I love the autoset, but sometimes I'll bypass it and crank the wire feed up a notch. I don't need to really, but I just like the feel of it better with a bit more wire speed than it gives me.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Master Fabricator

Building your own belt sander has been discussed on here a few times. Just do a search for 'belt sander'

Here are a couple that I found....

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ht=Belt+sander

I have the dxf file that Zancat sent me for the one shown in this thread. If you would like me to send you a copy let me know.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ht=Belt+sander
Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Master Fabricator

I have a kalamazoo 2"x48" belt sander in my shop. It's probably the most used tool in my shop. It uses a 1/2 hp 3450rpm motor. I would be happy if it were just a bit slower. At 1750rpm it would just as usefull.

Here is the one I have. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

They also sell a version so you can power it yourself. http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=4992

Then there is the build your own version shown in Captianfab's links.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Master Fabricator

I know people aren't always fond of the Harbor Freight stuff, but they are selling their combo belt and disc sander for $75 right now. I've been thinking about it, and just get metal sanding belts and a disc for it. They use a 4" x 36" belt and 6" disc.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93981

JH
Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Master Fabricator

I used to have the harbor freight 6"x48" belt / 9" disc version of that combination sander. The disc was unusable, it had (no lie) 1/8" of runout. The belt portion was decent, but way underpowered.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Master Fabricator

6x48 is the only size to make. make it big if your going to make it. we have an old delta belt sander thats over 20yrs old. still works awesome.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Master Fabricator

thanks for the links and info guys... I kind of had a handle on the belt sander part, but the disk part was what has me stumped without using some sort of dual shaft motor. I know that when I worked at CBI offroad, I used the disk part more than the belt part.

I guess I could do it with a jackshaft or something. I want to get my hands on a couple styles and see just how they are put together to help get the creative juices going better.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Master Fabricator

run your motor to a jack shaft thats got the lower belt roller on it and sticks out enough to run a disc on the end.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Master Fabricator

yeah thats what its looking like I'm going to end up doing..
Now, whats a good speed to spin the belt and disk?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Master Fabricator

A belt grinder for metalwork is usually about 5000 fpm on the belt. You calculate this the same way you would the blade speed for a band saw.

I hear a dedicated metal belt grinder can remove material (and skin) at an amazing rate. That's one of my next projects.

You might want to check into Coote belt grinders. He offers a 2"x48" and a 2"x72" model, with an optional 9" disc. He just provides the grinder, you are responsible for the motor and the stand. I have a 3450 RPM 3/4 HP motor I got at an auction that I'm saving for a grinder.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeassjackson View Post
6x48 is the only size to make. make it big if your going to make it. we have an old delta belt sander thats over 20yrs old. still works awesome.
Thats what i use,the company i worked for at the time was going to throw it in the dumpster because the drum was cracked.I called delta and got a new one and have been using it for more than ten years.The nice thing about the 6" belt is you can grind stuff flat.

I would search CL until a old delta poped up.i just saw a beauty here in Jersey for $300,6 by 48 with disc!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Fabricator

If you are interested in a belt sander than will not bog down when you apply a load to it be sure to check out this one.
http://www.jmrmfg.com/store/JMR-Belt-Sander-Grinder/

Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Master Fabricator

We have a 6" Scotchman 5 hp grit notcher/ sander, and love it!!
Sadly they don't sell it anymore, I know Baileigh a few like it, maybe Shane will chime in
Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Master Fabricator

I love the bling of JMR's, and we all know that Baileigh is nothing but top notch as well.
Me, I finally got working again, but i'm still playing catch-up on finances and will be doing that for a while to come yet. So, the more stuff I can make myself and save some money, the happier I am.
Plus, the satisfaction of making something myself is half of the fun of it.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Master Fabricator

try bidspotter.com too

I've snatched up a few deals on there, alot of large manufacturing plants closing

I agree, the JMR is super bling... just needs some candy powder coat over that shiney aluminum (shamless plug)