Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Master Fabricator

New base for my vertical band saw

I have managed to find a little time since we moved to work in the shop. Our rental house has a nice little detached shop that will work until I can build a new world HQ...

Something I've wanted to do for a long time is build a new base for my vertical band saw. Originally it had a cool art deco cast iron base, but that was long gone when I bought it. It has been on a shop made angle-iron base that has one leg 1/4" shorter than the others and no adjustment for belt tension.

I picked up a 1-1/2" square die for my bender to do this project and hopefully a couple more in the future. I started doing some bent square stuff for a customer, and now I think it's pretty cool! The majority of this is 0.083" wall (14 gauge) that I had sitting around. In the future, I'll probably stick to 0.120" wall for bent pieces because the walls don't distort so badly...

Here is the basic design tacked together...the bottom is about 24" x 30".

I came up with the height to raise the working height of the saw about 2" from where it was.

And after adding some plate to attach the saw and the casters. The bent piece in the top is to clear the belt guard on the saw.

This is the motor mounting bracket. It's mostly 3/4" square, with some 12 gauge sheet thrown in...before I added some slots to attach the motor to it.

Saw and motor mocked up on the frame...

I added a few panels to keep chips out of the motor, and help with the looks...

This one was formed on the slip roll to follow the bends in the legs. I added some beads to try to match the saw castings:

The ends are flat, with some louvers to let air circulate around the motor and look cool! The panels are held on with #10-32 screws tapped through the walls of the frame tubes.

And a picture of how things stand at the moment. Just awaiting some paint and reassembly.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice job.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Master Fabricator

I think you nailed it.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Master Fabricator

Excellent work I really like the panels on the base
Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Designer & Builder

More detailed and better than I would do. But............................maybe flange head screws or button heads on final assembly????? Sure, sure all you had was SHC. :)
Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
More detailed and better than I would do. But............................maybe flange head screws or button heads on final assembly????? Sure, sure all you had was SHC. :)
Actually, yes! I am down to my last couple #10-32 x 1/2" button heads. On the list for my next McMaster-Carr order, along with #10 AN washers. I'm sure I have a bag of flat washers in a box somewhere. The joys of moving...buying crap you know you have packed in a box.

Thanks all! Way too much time and thought went into this one.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Fabricator

looks the business, nicely done. How do you get on with the square bending die? We are about to take the plunge and get one of our own, any tips/advice?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
I added some beads to try to match the saw castings:
^ I like the little details like this one. Really nice work!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk Steel View Post
looks the business, nicely done. How do you get on with the square bending die? We are about to take the plunge and get one of our own, any tips/advice?
I really like have square dies. I started with 3/4", then 1" for a couple of projects for a client, then stepped up the 1-1/2" for this project. There isn't anything real tricky about them. You don't need a plane-of-bend bracket...there are only four options for rotation of the tube in 90 degree increments!

I prefer to put the weld seam on the tube either on the top or bottom of the bend (not inside or outside). The reason for that is it's close to the neutral axis of the bend and not in the area of the tube that's getting distorted during bending. You're always going to have distortion of the inner/outer walls of the bend, and it's a lot more obvious than it is with round. Going to a heavier wall thickness (if possible) limits the amount of distortion that happens. I have a JD2 bender and they limit the max wall thickness to 0.120". The main die is machined to encourage the inner wall to go inward, and I imagine you would damage the die if you exceeded their max rating.

The other thing I've noticed with my Model 4 bender is the tube does tend to slide in the dies a lot more with square tube than it does with round. I have been using a clamp to try to limit the amount of movement. I need to copy the clamp that JD2 sells with the 1-3/4" square die for the Model 32 bender, it looks like it would do a nice job of keeping the tube from moving very much.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
The other thing I've noticed with my Model 4 bender is the tube does tend to slide in the dies a lot more with square tube than it does with round. I have been using a clamp to try to limit the amount of movement. I need to copy the clamp that JD2 sells with the 1-3/4" square die for the Model 32 bender, it looks like it would do a nice job of keeping the tube from moving very much.

Do you find this with the smaller size dies also? I have a 25mm square die for my Jd2 M32 that I want to use for a project so may have to make a clamping device if so for mine
Old 08-21-2017, 06:36 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gardiner View Post
Do you find this with the smaller size dies also? I have a 25mm square die for my Jd2 M32 that I want to use for a project so may have to make a clamping device if so for mine
Yes, maybe not as much, but they all seem to do it to some extent.

Here's the JD2 version. I was wrong earlier when I said it was for the 1-3/4" die...it comes with the 2".

http://jd2.com/p-52-m32-square-die-sets.aspx
Old 08-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Master Fabricator

Very nice.......I like it!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Junior Fabricator

that is super awesome
Old 08-29-2017, 09:26 AM
Fabricator

Good work. I need to pick up some square bending dies. Square is the logical material for builds like this, and bent transitions looks far better than mitered corners IMO.