Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Junior Fabricator

Well, you added the evo hood vents to the hood, that's what i was calling the scope. I have put a del sol front end on a civic (cut fenders and a few other small tweeks) but I was thinking about building a fiberglass front clip, but do not want to destroy the current parts. Thats why i was asking, I was reading something about tin foil and I think that would make for a lot of fixing of the mold.

Anyways. If you have any more info on your civic, id love to see that also.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Master Fabricator

We call them "scoops". lol. In the 3rd fibreglass tutorial I'm working on at present I mould a new part directly onto the car without it sticking at all. I used clear pallet wrap film for easy release, but although any plastic would do it's not suitable when you're adding on something that might move around or fall off. Another alternative is multiple layers of Latex (a thin paint on rubber).

So you've really got to ask yourself, "How am I gonna hold these bits firmly onto my car so they don't move around when I glass over them?" The best alternative is to get a wreck of your car, even just a bare shell, and use that as your sculpting & moulding platform before throwing it away.

A third method is to cover your car part in pallet wrap - make a plaster mould off it (add salt to speed up the drying), then cast a copy in that mould on which you sculpt. But that's a lotta work and materials!

If you've seen my Civic build vids stage 1 - 3 maybe my posting the build forum of it here under race cars today will quench your thirst.

Last edited by Redliner; 01-24-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Junior Fabricator

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Fabricator

Lovin' the vids mate. Will definitely be using them for future reference. Where do you got your supplies here in Oz?

Tone
Old 01-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm in Newcastle and get my supplies from my work - Trojan F/G Supplies at Redhead. Where abouts are you living?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Fabricator

I'm in Toowoomba, SE QLDish. Might have to look you up when I need some gear.

Tone
Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 AM
Master Fabricator

Mig man came over today and we tacked the driverís cockpit together and fully welded the underside of the floor.

The front half of the frame isnít as heavy as a few feared. Dave & I reckon itís around 30kg. Compare that to how much heavier a VW floor pan would be. It feels incredibly strong thanks to all the triangulation, gussets and required bracing Ė even though itís only tacked lightly at this stage.

Now I can sit in it and Ė more importantly Ė haul my backside out of it now itís held together by more than masking tape! Talk about being inside a steel cocoon. I was also able to accurately work out the height I want the bar that holds the steering wheel to be, meaning I can cut several bars that relate to this point.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Master Fabricator

Tonight I cut the new stay between the front hoops, out of the larger steel required than what was in the frame I cannabalised. Then I started on the two bars thatíll go down from itís ends to the front bullbar, resulting in a wedge shaped nose that I really like.

Test fitting revealed the Magna seat runners put the seat up a bit too high, so Iíve ditched having an adjustable seat and will weld in some 30mm angle that it can bolt straight onto. Playing around with the positioning of the gearstick it looks like Iíll have to relocate one of the small triangulation bars (tacked on either side of the steering wheel), to clear the gear knob. No worries. Thereís enough re-enforcement there for a Dubai sky scraper!

This last pic shows how the front mount bar that runs under the engine will bolt up to the rear of the chassis, and probably where the gear shift cables will run.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Master Fabricator

I had the rack & pinion temporarily screwed up high on a raised timber block, but when I started looking at cutting the cross bar to hold it I realised it needed to be almost on the bottom of the chassis, for two reasons. The steering arms on my RX7 series 7 front uprights are on the bottom of those hubs, plus the chassis bottom rail is rising at that point under the Rhino nose. So a bit of decent angle welded just above the skid plate should be all thatís needed to hold the steering gear in place. The positioning of the rack front to back was determined by putting itís ends a distance equal to the length of the steering arms.

The two new short uprights I added into the side of the front framing are the vertical line at which the front of the top and bottom front inner wishbones will be mounted. Having an upright at that point adds strength exactly where itís really needed, and gives me some flexibility if I need to mount either pivot point off the main top or bottom chassis rails. The diagonal going back down from the top of it completes the new front end tie in.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Having the front frame tacked together has allowed me to start cutting the pieces that will hold the steering rack and column. Room had to be left around the rack ends to ensure the tie rods wonít hit the frame as the suspension rides up and down. Dave made a great suggestion from his speedway experience Ė put steel straps right around the rack body rather than just rely on the alloy brackets on it to hold it under the high stresses of racing. I intend heeding his advice. Meantime I screwed and taped the bars I cut in place.

When I tried the steering column that came with the rack I found it too long. I couldnít shorten the rod between the rack and the column as this would have made the angles too sharp. Instead, I shortened the column itself, which came apart and lended itself to this reduction. I also had to cut off the factory mounting brackets for it and make new ones. Hereís all the pieces ready to go to my TIG welding son, but I might change the top of the shaft to a Honda one if Dave has a spare, as it is proving difficult to obtain a Boss steering wheel mounting kit for this Renault shaft.

This third pic shows how Iíve now mounted the seat without the Magna runners, and how Iíve been just able to squeeze in the factory gear changer with a bit of a nick & tuck.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Master Fabricator

I've made a start on the body work http://youtu.be/JMPkk6UHY-Y
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Fabricator

HOLY CRAP! I just realized you're that guy that makes all the cool parts in the youtube videos I like.

Good job man, love your work and enthusiasm.

I'm also a big Honda fan. Have more of them than I care to admit. Been 8.77 in the 1/4 mile in my EG hatch. And we're building one for a chump car race in Spokane and a different one for a Honda Challenge car. My son's in the middle of a J32a2 swap for his EG sedan, and he also drives a 230whp, all motor, CRX as a daily driver. Just glad to see somebody older than me playing with the "kids cars". ...lol...

Sorry about the temporary thread jack. Just excited to see a Honda enthusiast here. :)

Last edited by vectorsolid; 03-07-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:14 AM
Master Fabricator

You and I should definitely never meet up!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
You and I should definitely never meet up!
But ya gotta admit, it would be great fun!!!!

keep up the good work on the build.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Master Fabricator

In this next stage on my continuing offroad buggy build I make a custom bonnet from scratch out of carbon fibre, which could also be made out of fibreglass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCPxwIL4MXA
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Part 1 of my V6 Mid engined buggy build - getting the donor car and making the chassis

http://youtu.be/jCzZmfM_aAQ
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Fabricator

That is awsome putting it in vid form ads an extra coolness to to your build. Good work!

Oh ya we call them scoops over here too hahahaha
Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Great stuff Redliner,thanks again for all the effort,i admire your enthusiasm....
ps Scoops is slang for Pints/drink/alcohol here...happy Paddys day!!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Master Fabricator

Part 2 of my V6 Buggy build - making the Kevlar floor & the rear skid plate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YakJm...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Part 3 video of the build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI6Uo...1&feature=plcp