Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 03-21-2016, 07:37 AM
Junior Fabricator

unimog axles, engine/tranny/tc help

Ok, so I've got a bunch of parts laying around, a small shop, bender, notcher, etc. I have already built several tube buggys. But it seems that the portal unimog axlebrings a new deminsion to building a buggy. I have most of the parts I need, tube, unimog axles 416's, 14"/16" air shocks, 42"sx3, wheels, staun internal beadlocks. I have a SBC flat tops and a th350 but I would need a drivers drop TC. I want to build a light weight buggy. well...as light as I can using mog axles. So light when it comes to sprung weight. I know if I go v8 I will need tooffset the engine to the passenger side in orde to keep the ride height low. But is there another engine combo that may be better straight 6 or maybe a rotary? the axles are 6.5 to 1 gearing so I thought the rotary might be an option to keep it light maybe a 2 rotor with a turbo. but then I keep telling myself that I can't go wrong with SBC. Also, for time and money I thought about doing a one link since that is what mercedes engineered to be the best for unimog axles. I'm not against a 3 link or 4 link but I know the key to a good one link is long links that are high/parralell to the ground. With the portal's I could easily achieve a high long set of link bars. I want to keep this on the cheap side. I dont care to spend money where it will count the most. It will be a 2 seat trail rig. I appreciate any opinions.

Last edited by dixie wrecked; 03-21-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie wrecked View Post
SNIP<
So light when it comes to unsprung weight.
SNIP<
The way I read it: you have 'UnSprung' crossed with Sprung.
Your portholes and 1-link are anything but light, and are nearly all UnSprung weight. With the choice of 42 SX tires UnSprung considerations are moot.

I would stay with the Small Block at least displacement wise, & swap to as much aluminum (heads, etc) as possible.

E
Old 03-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Designer & Builder

From talking with a guy just down the street from me I don't think UniMog portals are really up to the task of SBC power and torque. He runs basically stock motors with 36" IROK's and does fine as far as reliability. He has two UniMogs so I am only relaying info he has told be about axle strength.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
The way I read it: you have 'UnSprung' crossed with Sprung.
Your portholes and 1-link are anything but light, and are nearly all UnSprung weight. With the choice of 42 SX tires UnSprung considerations are moot.

I would stay with the Small Block at least displacement wise, & swap to as much aluminum (heads, etc) as possible.

E
You are right, I messed that up when typing. thanks for correcting me.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
From talking with a guy just down the street from me I don't think UniMog portals are really up to the task of SBC power and torque. He runs basically stock motors with 36" IROK's and does fine as far as reliability. He has two UniMogs so I am only relaying info he has told be about axle strength.
Well, I will have to disagree with your friend down the street. Unimogs are all beef. rated around 4 tons. much stroinger that a 2.5 ton rockwell and the portals reduce the stress on the drivetrain. I am not worried about the axles handling the power. From other unimog based buggies I have seen, most have big V8 power.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 PM
Designer & Builder

I dont know much more than being in his shop one time. But the axles he has did not look huge and beefy so I believed his comments. Maybe his opinion on strength differs from others.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Junior Fabricator

There is a good chance he may have unimog 404 axles which are considerably weaker than the 416's.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:51 AM
Master Fabricator

Unimog axles are great but heavy lumps,rarely used for any speed type activity over here,winch and crawling,what brakes do you have on the 416's?
Old 03-26-2016, 02:47 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Vortec View Post
Unimog axles are great but heavy lumps,rarely used for any speed type activity over here,winch and crawling,what brakes do you have on the 416's?

Drums currently but I plan on converting them to disc