Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 03-15-2016, 08:05 AM
Master Fabricator

4 link joints

Sorry if this question has been asked becore. I'm looking to 4 link the back axle on my truck and was wondering what joints people recommend. I've seen the Currie johnny joints and trail gear ones. Do I need them.for both the top links and bottom links or can I use a different size joint on the top axel.
Regards
Adam
Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gardiner View Post
Sorry if this question has been asked becore. I'm looking to 4 link the back axle on my truck and was wondering what joints people recommend. I've seen the Currie johnny joints and trail gear ones. Do I need them.for both the top links and bottom links or can I use a different size joint on the top axel.
Regards
Adam
IME a lot depends on the application.
Generally speaking I used 1 1/4" SRE's for the lower links because the lower links need the strength to take the hits inherent in such an exposed position the upper links will also depend on application but Off Road I tend to go overkill.
As to type again is this a rig that you will tolerate noise from or will that drive you nuts (for me a short drive).
From what I have seen the rebuild-able type joints are quiet but tend to need maintenance sooner then the classic SRE.
I think the main thing is that you get what you pay for.

E

Old 03-16-2016, 02:46 AM
Master Fabricator

It's for a winch challenge truck so will be used in deep mud as oposed to going fast like ultra4. The main brands available here in the UK are trail gear or Currie joints. Is it worth the extra cost of the Currie joint for my application or not
Old 03-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Master Fabricator

I bought flex joints from lowrange offroad,I liked to idea of being able to tighten as I wish and they were cheap,not used them yet though so can't say how muck etc affects,I have some J Joints and aside from different design I can see no visible difference in quality
Old 03-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
It's for a winch challenge truck so will be used in deep mud as oposed to going fast like ultra4. The main brands available here in the UK are trail gear or Currie joints. Is it worth the extra cost of the Currie joint for my application or not
On a competition rig I would just go with a SRE for cost to strength and Less maintenance... <just my opinion.

Availability for a SRE or Rose joints in the UK should be fairly easy to source...

E

Old 03-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Google didn't help...what is an SRE joint?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysFlOoReD View Post
Google didn't help...what is an SRE joint?
Spherical Rod End.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Fabricator

I know there's been issues with the company, but I bought the Ballistic Joints when they first came out and I've been running them ever since. I used them for my radius arms on my daily driven rig. Installed them in '09 and I've only replaced the wear components 1 time. I can't say it was even necessary when I did it - just thought I'd do it for the sake of preventative maintenance. I'm currently prepping for EJS out in Utah (driving from Illinois) and all I plan to do is shoot some grease in them.

They've seen mud, rock hits, and continuous micro-movements on the street. Passed with flying colors. They're quiet and are fully serviceable. I'm a big proponent of a similar style of joint.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Master Fabricator

The ballistics may be good, I just choose to not to do business with them due to past issues. That may be dumb to which I will point out many think I are

The SRE's on the RadArms on our Ranger have been there for well over 120,000 miles of street, trail, sand, Thousands of miles of hubs in Snow, and the obligatory high speed desert running. If I recall they are FK and have had zero maintenance because they are maintenance free. I suspect that we've been extremely lucky!

E

Old 03-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Fabricator

I should also point out that I'm running a QA-1 SRE on my drag link without issue. I read of guys saying they'll wear out and loosen up over time, but I've yet to see it. I have, however, replaced it once for PM. Mine has the injection molded race as well. Tight and quiet. I prefer greaseable joints, but this one has done well without service.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Good SRE's seem very expensive in Europe,actually everything is very expensive!!
Old 03-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Vortec View Post
I bought flex joints from lowrange offroad,I liked to idea of being able to tighten as I wish and they were cheap,not used them yet though so can't say how muck etc affects,I have some J Joints and aside from different design I can see no visible difference in quality
I will look at them but I think the postage costs will be to much from low range offroad
Old 03-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Master Fabricator

Could the cost be reduced by private shipping some parts, I understand it has worked to points in Canadastan, the largest Island on this rock, and a couple other points around this rock... something y'all might look in to.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Master Fabricator

Yeah it's certainly a way of cutting the cost a little E,by time we pay shipping,customs fee and then vat on all incl shipping most parts double in price!!!recently bought some fly windows for my FSJ from private seller in Colorado,almost had to get him to swear an affidavit to get them through...most parts are still cheaper with all feed paid though
Old 03-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I will look at them but I think the postage costs will be to much from low range offroad
Well I don't think their postage was so bad,you can calculate without purchase,I think they are good value