Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 11-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I hate doing anything transmission related because I am hoping to eventually ditch this TH400 for a proper grab-handle with a third pedal.
This makes me smile!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Very nice! I've been following along on IG, so cool to see this all come together. Very happy for you!
Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I'll just leave this here:::::: http://driveusca.com/
YES! I would love to get into that. Still have a number of safety and suspension upgrades to do, but I am looking forward to some autocross in the near future.

I got the OBD2 reader working last night after swapping the CAN bus + and - wires. It has expected fault codes for EVAP and other deleted items. Manifold pressure reads 12.8psi. Coolant temp 24C. Those seem in range. IAT is reading 49C, which is way off, probably due to changing to the card style MAF sensor which requires adjusting the associated tables.

Time to call the tuner!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Master Fabricator

Sweet!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Designer & Builder

Beautiful work. I looked back and tried to find what radiator hoses you used? Do you remember what they were originally for?
I'd step up to a 6L80e to replace the TH400.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
Beautiful work. I looked back and tried to find what radiator hoses you used? Do you remember what they were originally for?
I'd step up to a 6L80e to replace the TH400.
Thank you! The upper is a Dayco 72044 for an '02 Chrysler Voyager with the water-pump side trimmed back a couple inches. It has the right IDs for both ends (1-5/16 for the L99 water pump, expanded to 1-1/2 for the Nova radiator). The lower is a Dayco 71990 for a 2005 Silverado V8 with both ends cut back a few inches.

I have thought about a 6L80e with paddle shifters, but I think I would find a TR6060 to be more fun to drive. Plus it would be an effective anti-theft device given how few people know how to operate a clutch these days.

Last edited by TheBandit; 11-03-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:24 AM

Spent a fair bit of time on the phone today with a local tuner in Agoura Hills - Alex at New Era Performance. I discussed all the changes that have been made, one by one, as you might imagine an over thinking engineer like myself would. He explained how he would manage the changes and was confident he can program the ECM on the bench with a good enough baseline calibration to start, idle, and drive safely to his shop for final dyno tuning. So tomorrow I will drop it off and hopefully I'll be posting a startup video next week.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Spent a fair bit of time on the phone today with a local tuner in Agoura Hills - Alex at New Era Performance. I discussed all the changes that have been made, one by one, as you might imagine an over thinking engineer like myself would. He explained how he would manage the changes and was confident he can program the ECM on the bench with a good enough baseline calibration to start, idle, and drive safely to his shop for final dyno tuning. So tomorrow I will drop it off and hopefully I'll be posting a startup video next week.
Very cool. I'm sure he's happy to know everything you've done going in instead of guessing or having to find out later.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Master Fabricator

Awesome work man.

Im glad the hose clips worked out. I just ordered more and forgot about the sizing being smaller than expected. I wish they would reference the number on them on the website some how. Like, i need the #12 ones.... which p/n is that.

Good news on the tuner. That is honestly the answer Id expect from anyone good. At some point they've pretty much seen anything and can piece together a baseline tune without much issue.

Fun times ahead

Dan
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
Im glad the hose clips worked out. I just ordered more and forgot about the sizing being smaller than expected. I wish they would reference the number on them on the website some how. Like, i need the #12 ones.... which p/n is that.
I really can't thank you enough. Those were exactly what I needed! After a little digging I think I found the manufacturer and drawings/specs. They are Polyconn T-Clips. Here is the catalog with tabulated sizes and dimensions: http://www.polyconn.com/documents/Ca...ersion2016.pdf
Old 11-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Excellent! Thanks for the link!

Dan
Old 11-08-2016, 10:56 AM

The ECM came back from the tuner yesterday, so after playing domesticated family man for most of the evening and filling out my sample ballot for voting tomorrow, I got a late start on the Nova. First step was checking tightness on all the fuel connections - check. Next, I primed the fuel system by jumpering input to the the fuel pump relay. Using a loaner fuel pressure gage from the local autoparts store, I found fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel rail came up to about 56psi. I bled the air out of the system and checked for leaks. Everything looked good.

Next, I hooked up my Wifi OBD scanner and fired up the Torque App on my phone. This combination is pretty cool - you can customize a "dash" on your phone/tablet, monitor any sensor you want in near real time, and check codes. I did have to load GM-specific PIDs in the Torque app so I could monitor oil pressure, but that was easy enough.

Everything checked out, sensors were giving expected values, and there were no codes. So at just about 10pm I invited my wife to the garage to spot leaks and I was off and cranking. Oil pressure came up right away, RPM registered around 100-150 during cranking, and it began to sputter/fire intermittently. For a moment (2-3seconds) it found a very brief idle and RPM spiked to around 700rpm, but alas it would not hold and returned to cranking and sputtering again.

For that brief 2-3 seconds when it seemed to be running, my wife and I got an audible sample of what this thing is going to sound like. With 3 inch Dynomax VT muffers, it was every bit as loud (at least in the confined space of my garage) as the old SBC with 2 chamber Flowmasters. The kid in me was thrilled, but my wife and I were both concerned about making so much noise after 10pm. My kids, the neighbor's kids, and a number of retirees in the neighborhood were surely sleeping. So after a few unsuccessful cranking attempts, we called it a night.

Before closing shop, I checked for codes. I got one and only one: P0315 Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned. From what I understand, that should not keep it from running, but will prevent it from detecting misfire. I assume the lack of other codes is a good sign.

I will give it another try when I have time today. If it does not want to run, I'll go back to the basics: check for spark and check for fuel. That little bit of rumble I got last night makes me think it could be as simple as air remaining in the fuel system, but we'll see.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Master Fabricator

Very cool! I hope it's something simple...sounds like it about has to be.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:46 PM

Success!

https://youtu.be/Ia3gY-Zf7D4

Turns out the pink and black wires needed to be switched on the MAF connector due to changing from the LY6 screen style MAF to an LS7 card style MAF. The computer was not getting a MAF signal as a result. I probably read about this at some point and forgot to make the change. Huge thanks to the tuner, Alex at New Era Performance in Agoura Hills. He normally does not do house calls, but he offered to come sort this out with me and we found the problem in mere minutes. I swapped the wires and it fired right up.

Still plenty of work left to make it a driver, but this is a welcome milestone!
Old 11-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Designer & Builder

Nice. Can't wait to hear mine rumble. Springtime maybe.

Last edited by R.DesJardin; 11-09-2016 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:32 AM
Master Fabricator

ive been anxiously waiting to hear it run!! Awesome job Clint
Old 11-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Master Fabricator

YAY!

E

Old 11-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Awesome! I love the Torque App. I use it on a Android head unit for my diesel tow pig, makes a awesome setup to have when towing.

I have heard the developer is really into making a great product and updates it frequently to satisfy customers. Well worth the $5 IMO.

Any Dyno plans? or just tuning for drive-ability?
Old 11-09-2016, 12:55 PM

Thanks guys!

Here's another video with more of a walk around.
https://youtu.be/RsZVtN1HJrw

What finally got me to this point, after years of dragging my feet, was distilling this project to a simple list of things to check off, ignoring anything that was not absolutely needed to get the engine started. Now I need to make the same sort of list with a goal of getting the car on it's own four feet. It's so hard not to get distracted - I am already consumed with ideas for the interior, cage, suspension, brakes, etc. But those things can all come as smaller projects down the road. For now I just need to make it roll :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
Any Dyno plans? or just tuning for drive-ability?
Yes, the car will go on the dyno for tuning. I've emphasized that WOT performance is secondary to drive-ability. I want it to start, idle, and come back to idle reliably and have a quick, crisp throttle response. Goals!
Old 11-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Can't wait to see how it goes. Goals is where it is at.

Dry erase board worked wonders for me, actually seemed very stupid of me to not have one earlier. Even simple schematics were nice to be able to sketch out quickly then snap a pic with my phone to save for later.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:24 PM

I LOVE my big whiteboard. It's the most productive 3ft x 4ft wall space in the shop. I take photos of it regularly too. It's one of those things you just have to put up to realize how useful it is.