Go Back OFN Forums > Vendor Q&A > Bend-Tech

Old 08-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Master Fabricator

Tube and Die Organization

My laptop recently experience catastrophic failure. I have all of my designs saved on an external hard drive, however, I never backed up my software so I lost all of my tube/die info. Huge loss.

On the plus side, I now have the opportunity to add my tube and dies in a more organized fashion. Previously, I tried to make my databases as descriptive as possible. That posed an issue though, as my descriptions were so long that I struggled to see all of them at times (limited window size).

Both my tube and die descriptions need to have a lot of info for both pricing and springback. OD, wall thickness, material type, CLR, etc. There's a lot to include in a name.

What do you guys use for your naming conventions? I know this is something that I should probably develop myself, but it doesn't hurt to ask and see what others in the industry are doing.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:01 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
My laptop recently experience catastrophic failure. I have all of my designs saved on an external hard drive, however, I never backed up my software so I lost all of my tube/die info. Huge loss.

On the plus side, I now have the opportunity to add my tube and dies in a more organized fashion. Previously, I tried to make my databases as descriptive as possible. That posed an issue though, as my descriptions were so long that I struggled to see all of them at times (limited window size).

Both my tube and die descriptions need to have a lot of info for both pricing and springback. OD, wall thickness, material type, CLR, etc. There's a lot to include in a name.

What do you guys use for your naming conventions? I know this is something that I should probably develop myself, but it doesn't hurt to ask and see what others in the industry are doing.
Material Type, OD and wall for material.
Material Type, OD, wall, and CLR for dies.

I am interested in the idea of pricing, part number for my supplier and so on. We could add these as other line items in the material and die libraries. We are starting to spec out release 8 that will be coming out next summer. What items would you and anyone else jumping in would like to see available in your libraries?
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 08-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to try and minimize my naming convention such that the most info will fit in the least space. Before, I was using HREW 1.00"X.065" which allows for consistent naming (1.00, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75 etc), however it takes up a lot of characters. I think I'll consider something along the lines of H1X16 (HREW, 1"OD, 16ga). I'll have to push my perfectionism aside to allow an extra character or two for the different sized tube (H1.75x11 for example).

On that note - any comments regarding using gauge size vs decimal size for tube? I keep going back and forth with which one I prefer. My supplier sells by gauge, but I like exact numbers as well.

Regarding improvements for version 8, I would like to see the addition of angle iron to the libraries. I don't use it too often, but having the opportunity to model it and have BT include it in the price for the final assembly would be awesome. I have to do it separately right now.

Another idea for the pricing feature is selectable units. I model in inches, but would prefer to price material per foot. I have to divide by 12 and enter my price per inch right now. Not a huge issue, but it would be convenient if the software would do it for me.

For the record, I think you guys are doing a great job and I'm proud to be a part of the BendTech community. I'm excited to see what you come up with for version 8.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Site Admin

The other thing I would consider a SQ or REC for square and round in front of the name. I don't bother with a R for round. I assume round if not labeled with sq or rec.
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 08-31-2016, 04:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Yep, I was thinking of just adding a dimension if it's square or rectangle.

H1x1x14
H2x3x11
Old 09-01-2016, 01:25 AM
Master Fabricator

I went ahead and built my libraries based off of my proposed convention. I like it. I now have 40 dies and 28 tubes ready for design. The die calibration is based off of the bender model/die, but at least it's a starting point.

I still need to add weight/pricing info for everything as well. That will have to wait until I find some more time.

I created a backup file after creating all of those dies/materials. I'll be backing everything up on a regular basis now. Lesson learned.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Master Fabricator

I like the structure you proposed. I will follow suit when adding any dies, I struggled with the same issues.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:41 AM
Master Fabricator

I think you'll like it. I've been modeling some stuff the last few days and it has really cleaned up my tube and die descriptions. Just as descriptive as they once were, but they're way more concise.