Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Junior Fabricator

The fab school vs barker motorsports

Looking into going to fab school soon. I found these two school just wondering if anyone has been or knows someone who has been. Wondering which would be a better school and maybe if there is other options for other fab school????
Old 02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
OFN Business Vendor

Is that Barker or Baker? Baker Motorsports has a school too, in Huntington Beach CA about 60 miles from the fab school. Actually, I think baker recently moved to Costa Mesa.

Sorry, can't refer you to either cause I know both owners!!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Junior Fabricator

Ya ment Baker sorry. Both school pretty comparable???? I like how baker gives you the chance to work on your own project. I'd just like some opinions since I live in Utah and can't just really drive by and check them out for myself.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:23 AM
OFN Business Vendor

I hear ya. Fab school will be more challenging; has a classroom, drafting tables, books on weld/fab etc. Baker seems more laid back.

Not sure on costs for either, fab is probly more. Both guys know their stuff about fab cause they both race competitively and build competition rigs.

I think it depends on what your trying to get out of it.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Junior Fabricator

I wanna get the most possible knowledge out of the class. Want what's gonna look better on a resume when I'm done. So far I've hurd some dirt on baker but still trying to find some on the fab school.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 AM
OFN Business Vendor

If your going for a resume I would do Fab, just more reputable I think. They do a lot more marketing, trade shows and have a better set up for guys like you. I think Baker is more for the DIY guys ya know?

If you go to fab, tell April that Tom from Roark sent you. That way I can hassle them about how much business I send them
Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Master Fabricator

If this is the same "The Fab School" (He called it that same name) another person talks about on another forum I know of they teach and preach the great wonders of Tak tak welding.

I would be leary of that. Many other things he told us they taught to be great were effing jokes when it comes to welding.

Not saying its "THE" same school but he called it the same name.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM
OFN Business Vendor

Pretty sure its the same school. I am not an expert fab guy, just know them from trade shows, races, etc. I have heard the same thing but some guys on here are more experienced than others, much more.

Could be a good place to start out for a beginner to get some fundamentals. I have only been in both shops, never taken the classes.

An old man once told me that fabrication opinions are like elbows - everyone has two....well most people!

Anyone know how many other schools like this are out there?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Junior Fabricator

Rains331, you should come down and check out The Fab School. Our doors are always open to anyone interested in taking a tour or sitting in on a class. If you're serious about getting in to fabrication, then I guarantee you will be happy with what you see here.

We offer three levels of fabrication courses; Introduction, Intermediate and Advanced. We pride ourselves on being an accredited institution with an approved curriculum, offering small class sizes where each students individual goals can be met. Our take a hands on approach to instruction, with about 80% shop time to 20% traditional classroom instruction.

Give me a call if you're interested in coming in. Shannon (951) 782-0567

Quote:
If this is the same "The Fab School" (He called it that same name) another person talks about on another forum I know of they teach and preach the great wonders of Tak tak welding.

I would be leary of that. Many other things he told us they taught to be great were effing jokes when it comes to welding.

Not saying its "THE" same school but he called it the same name
The "Tak Tak" welding you are referring to is actually called pulse welding. Pulse welding is used in various aspects of fabrication, done mostly on tubing. Everyone in the automotive fabrication industry should know this. So yes, we do teach our students pulse welding ALONG with continuous welding, as they will inevitably use both at some point in their time here and future careers.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Another option may be WyoTech. It should be a bit close if your in Utah. I believe they have a "fabrication" emphasis, that you could look into. I believe that they also teach some of the business end of the whole industry. Not a bad thing to know. I would bet that most shops go out of business, not because their work is sub-par, but because they can't run the business end of things.

Later,
Kev
Old 02-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFabSchool View Post
The "Tak Tak" welding you are referring to is actually called pulse welding. Pulse welding is used in various aspects of fabrication, done mostly on tubing. Everyone in the automotive fabrication industry should know this. So yes, we do teach our students pulse welding ALONG with continuous welding, as they will inevitably use both at some point in their time here and future careers.
No its not. Pulse welders pulse weld and its so fast most cannot sense the effects. Pulse is NOT hit the trigger again and again in a repeated row. Thats tak tak and its pretty much a joke.

Taks are to hold the metal till you really weld it.

Unless you teach a different methoed that on and off the trigger allowing it to cool to various degrees as the person who went to your school told us they learned.

Spot welding robots do not tak tak either. The way and duration they weld is not Tak tak.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Fabricator

So, when I weld 18ga sheet metal using a tack tack method, I'm doing it incorrectly? It's the only way I can see doing it without warping the metal.
Now if you're talking thicker material, then yeah, tacking isn't any good. No penetration.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Master Fabricator

No not on thin sheet. But according to the person who went there its the way to do all sorts of welding.

I DO suppose the student was a crackpot. So I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Junior Fabricator

Um I dunno about those fab schools. They get really expensive. And even tho they say they offer job placement or help on creating a good resume, they don't. I took the cnc operator course over at the fab school. They didn't even bother with helping me get a job and I always had to call them about it. I just recently got a job over at la sleeve but no thanks to the fab school. I got in cuz I know most of the people there. I'd say take welding and auto classes. That way since off road fab is super slow right now you will have moreoptions later in life. Or if you have the money, buy a welder and bender and what not. That's what I want to do but I can't afford anything. Good luck bro
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Master Fabricator

im not sure how it works with the job placement but i saw on facebook the owner of bluetorch fab hit up troy johnson from the fab school if any recent graduates needed a job and with in a minute a kid said yeah and had a interview lined up as far as the offroad industry being slow koh was bigger than last year and someone had to build all thoes rigs

Last edited by smosher 604; 02-21-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
And even tho they say they offer job placement or help on creating a good resume, they don't. I took the cnc operator course over at the fab school. They didn't even bother with helping me get a job and I always had to call them about it.
We did help you with your resume as we keep a copy of it in your student file. And as for the job placement assistance for the CNC Course, it is contingent upon on the student passing the final exam. We also keeps copies of your final exam for our records, I will leave it at that.

Quote:
im not sure how it works with the job placement but i saw on facebook the owner of bluetorch fab hit up troy johnson from the fab school if any recent graduates needed a job and with in a minute a kid said yeah and had a interview lined up as far as the offroad industry being slow koh was bigger than last year and someone had to build all thoes rigs
We have a great working relationship with James at Bluetorch. We have had 3 of our students hired on by them, the most recent as a result of the Facebook post you saw, Smosher 604. There are a few others who have interviews lined up and we know they will be a great addition to an already renowned fab shop.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFabSchool View Post
I will leave it at that.
OUCH
Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM
OFN Business Vendor

Man people are getting hard core huh Entropy!!

Shit is pretty legit over their and the Blue Torch guys are pretty cool too, i ran into them at KOH.

Troy hasn't been winning races for decades by welding together crap, it works.

And just cause you go to school (ANY School) doesn't mean you get a job. You gotta get off your ass and work it either way.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Master Fabricator

kids these days think mom and dad should pay big bucks for a school for them to mess around and party then get home sit on the couch and wait for the phone to ring with a job offer what happened to filling out a application and turning in a resume
Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Master Fabricator

kids these days think mom and dad should pay big bucks for a school for them to mess around and party then get home sit on the couch and wait for the phone to ring with a job offer what happened to filling out a application and turning in a resume