Thanks for the compliment, Dave.
Next up was the seat mounting.
I knew that I didn't want to just punch some hole through the sheet metal and slap in some bolts.
So, I started off of the newly installed tube at the back of the floor....
Nothing too crazy here. Ended up making a plate with a lip that fit over the tube, which is now covered with sheet metal, and from there made a base that fit the seats that I choose.
The bases were then simply notched at an angle to meet the base plate and welded up.
The tube was sleeved (again to prevent crushing) and welded and smoothed to provide a solid mounting point for the rear bolts.
More on the seats.....
I went with Jaz Turbo Pro seats. They are a fairly cheap molded plastic seat, but they are a bit taller, have shoulder bolsters, and pass throughs for shoulder harnesses.
All for a measly $80, not too bad.
Ok, back to the mounts.
With the rear of the bases mounted securely to the cross tube, I knew I couldn't just slap some front legs on them and be done.
I was also trying to think forward to possible future cage work.
Who knew.... an almost 40 yr old Jeep body isn't that rigid.....
So here's what I came up with.....
The step in the body btw the floor/cargo area/front of the rear fenders was one of the main structural areas of the PJ originally.
So starting there I made base plates that butted up against that with a lip to hang over the top and bolted them into place. The bolts through these plates sandwiched the body and pass through another bracket which is welded to the cross tube. (That would be the one serving as the rear seat mount and stitch welded to the floor all the the way across)
All of this, I think ties my new door bars to the rest of the new tube that's been added to the rear of the body.
From those plates I ran 1.5" DOM (.120 wall) forward to the toe boards. Where they are fully welded to base plates, which sandwich the toe board and are backed by larger backing plates.
From there it was a fairly simple task of notching another piece of DOM, same wall, to cross from side to side btw the new door bars.
Which can be seen in the second pic.
The placement of the side to side tube, so determined with some pre-made tabs from the local sand rail shop. The tabs simple met up with the sides of the seat bases and with a few new holes firmly supported the front of the base.
And a couple more pics.....
And a completed shot of the seats....
They came out fairly close together, but working off of the steering wheel as center for the drivers seat, that's where they ended up....
A few more in a second.....