Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Junior Fabricator

what tubing for Reverse Trike?

Hello to all! I love the site!
Looking to build a reverse trike this winter. I have fab many things over the years and have had many people say I should patent it. Well, not for me, just a x-business owner that had to make new designs.
I really hate to ask, but what size tube and what type would any of you suggest for this project? Also, if the bugget has to go with square tube, what would you suggest? (you may think, if this guy has to ask this, then he should not be building this project, ...let me assure you, not the case, hehee)

thank you,

kyle
Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Kyle,
Definately sounds like a cool project!! I would avoid the square tube unless positioned in a Diamond configuration.

As for the tube, I would suggest Chromo maybe in the 1" or 1.25". If weight is a concern, thinner wall obviously. For a smooth solid ride, I would go for .090 wall chromo.

Just me, but then again, I have never built a bike!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Document it with pics and write ups. I would love to see this.--Grant
Old 07-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Kyle

Saw one of these reverse trikes on MSN last week. There was a video of it with the owner/designer/builder. Use a front end similar to F1 & Indy car.

As far as tube size, I would go with 1.25" od, 0.090" wall Chromoly or 0.120" DOM. Most choppers these days are built from 1.25" dia x 0.120" wall HERW or DOM.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress...
Old 07-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Junior Fabricator

Thank you both for you replys! Grant, now that you mentioned avoding the square tube unless "daimond", I will go with the round tubing. I took a second to think about it and I see why. Makes total sense! Thanks again so much for the direction guys! I WILL keep posting here when I start my project this winter.

Also, as for tools, the only thing I lack is a bender and notcher. I will post a question in the bender section later if you guys want to help.(nevermind, I used the search and found info, spelling was wrong)

THANK YOU

Kyle

Last edited by kyles974rt; 07-16-2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: found info with search
Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Site Admin

Give me a linky for a "reverse trike".
Thanks
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 07-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Master Fabricator

I cannot find the video of the one that I saw on the web last week.

But, basically a reverse trike has 2 wheels in the front with only drive wheel in the back....
Old 07-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Master Fabricator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38TFetQAe2o
Old 07-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Junior Fabricator

http://www.ltdmotorsports.ca/ good frame pics

http://go-t-rex.com/

I do not like but: http://www.xzilarator.com/

just a few of many I have, let me know if you need more

kyle
Old 07-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Those are cool, but the one that I saw last week has a much more motorcycle look and feel to it. Think of a Borget chopper style frame with a F1/Indy car front end on it. The steering was a set of regular chopper handle bars...
Old 07-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Master Fabricator

These 2 are indy style...

http://www.sportcycle.info/
http://www.sub3wheeler.com/index.php

and these have mc handle bars...

http://www.gizmag.com/go/6823/gallery/
http://www.spykster.com/index.html

Last edited by yoshi; 07-17-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Those are not what I saw last week, man I wish I would have bookmarked the site, I have search with no luck.

The one that I saw was similar to the spykster but more like a chopper that OCC or West Coast would build from the steering neck back.

Anyway...Kyle, keep us posted...
Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuenemann View Post
Those are not what I saw last week, man I wish I would have bookmarked the site, I have search with no luck.

The one that I saw was similar to the spykster but more like a chopper that OCC or West Coast would build from the steering neck back.

Anyway...Kyle, keep us posted...
First and formost, when I get going on the project this fall/winter, I WILL keep you all updated! (great people here!)

..but, is this the rt you are talking about?
roadstercycle.com

you guys will like this one!
martinomotorcompany.com

here is the style that I'm leaning tord. I plan on keeping the frame some what seen. So, a diffently tube frame.(thanks to above suggestions) I plan to use this for an everyday driver, so I will be making or have someone make a "soft top" for the windows/doors and maybe the top.
anyway, here it is: "Raptor"
morankitcar.com (copy and paste)

and two of the best links I have found for reverse trikes (rt)

http://reversetrike.com/home.html

3wheelers.com (copy and paste)

Last edited by kyles974rt; 07-17-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Master Fabricator

That Raptor looks like a death trap to me, I would definatly make some serious modifications to the design if you go that route. If that thing flips over, you are in for some trouble. The roof /windshield/b-pillar bar has no rear bracing and no B pillars. If you flip that over, the rear bars will push the tail down with little effort, especially since it's aluminium, which is a material I wouldn't be caught dead using in a roll cage. The roof will crush down, and you may die a very un appealing death. Just a little advice from someone who makes a living building things that get jumped over 120 foot with 10+ foot of air....

Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Master Fabricator

If you can, work in a X brace behind the seats, and make sure the roof line is supported all the way down through the chassis to the floor. People say I overbuild my rails and they could be a lot lighter, well, i've seen my share of "sufficient" and good design frames not only fail, but even kill some people, so far as i'm concerned you can't overkill a design. My rail weighs 1250 pounds dry, which I get some crtisim for, but the hayabusa motor I use has more than enough power to gear it lower, keep a lot of top speed, and push the weight around just as easy as rails weighing 3 to 400 pounds less than me. So I wouldn't concentrate on trying to make it as light as possible, use a good powerplant and you will be fine, especially since pretty much any motor you pick will break the rear tire loose without any problem, it's not like your gonna be lacking in the power dept.

You have to remember that it's not just your life your playing with, building things like these are putting other peoples lives at risk and you need to make sure you always keep that the most important thing in your design, you may or may not get sued if someone gets hurt or killed, but you do have to live with yourself if someone gets hurt or killed in something that you built...

I use 212 foot of tubing in my chassis, and at just over a pound a foot, the frame weighs about 250pounds fully welded, that really isn't that much, so brace where ever you need to, don't let every pound be a factor in the construction..

And to you other question, I use mild steel ( I don't like chromo for quite a few reasons, and I actually feel mild steel is safer, but that's another debate), 1.25", .110 and .120 wall tubing. Use 120 wall for your main upper cage and your suspension, 95 wall for your cross bracing, x-brace, b-pillars, etc. and you should be fine....

Last edited by yoshi; 07-18-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Kyle

Not those are not the one that I saw last week. Their cool but just not what I saw. I am still looking for it...

Yoshi

I agree with your take on design. You got to keep safe and not get hurt to have fun.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
That Raptor looks like a death trap to me, I would definatly make some serious modifications to the design if you go that route. If that thing flips over, you are in for some trouble. The roof /windshield/b-pillar bar has no rear bracing and no B pillars. If you flip that over, the rear bars will push the tail down with little effort, especially since it's aluminium, which is a material I wouldn't be caught dead using in a roll cage. The roof will crush down, and you may die a very un appealing death. Just a little advice from someone who makes a living building things that get jumped over 120 foot with 10+ foot of air....
So I wouldn't concentrate on trying to make it as light as possible, use a good powerplant and you will be fine, especially since pretty much any motor you pick will break the rear tire loose without any problem, it's not like your gonna be lacking in the power dept.

You have to remember that it's not just your life your playing with, building things like these are putting other peoples lives at risk and you need to make sure you always keep that the most important thing in your design, you may or may not get sued if someone gets hurt or killed, but you do have to live with yourself if someone gets hurt or killed in something that you built...

I agree. I should have stated that I would or will modify the cage. I used to have a lawn chemical service business and would tell my employees that there is no debates over safty! (one thing I'm strong on) I really like how you pointed out that it's not only for my safty but others too. Great point!(like I said guys, great people here!) As for wieght vs speed, my focus is: safty & handling. I have been doing alot of research for this project.(this will be my biggest. Always thought about a Cobra kit, but motorcycles are my "roots" or in my blood) I'm thinking of a wieght distrubration of around 60% in the back, 40% in the front. Maybe even 55/45, for this will be two seats, and I'm 260lbs.(any thoughts please mention) I really appriciate your tips for the "x" brace, etc.,

you said "120ft with 10+ ft of air..."
My stomach drops thing about that. WOW! The most I have ever experianced was 80ft, on a dirt bike, and that was scary.(fun scare,hehee)(retired from that danger, need a cage at this age,hehee)

Thanks again,
It's always nice to communicate with people that are "leaders in thier industry."

Kyle
Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles974rt View Post
I agree. I should have stated that I would or will modify the cage. I used to have a lawn chemical service business and would tell my employees that there is no debates over safty! (one thing I'm strong on) I really like how you pointed out that it's not only for my safty but others too. Great point!(like I said guys, great people here!) As for wieght vs speed, my focus is: safty & handling. I have been doing alot of research for this project.(this will be my biggest. Always thought about a Cobra kit, but motorcycles are my "roots" or in my blood) I'm thinking of a wieght distrubration of around 60% in the back, 40% in the front. Maybe even 55/45, for this will be two seats, and I'm 260lbs.(any thoughts please mention) I really appriciate your tips for the "x" brace, etc.,

you said "120ft with 10+ ft of air..."
My stomach drops thing about that. WOW! The most I have ever experianced was 80ft, on a dirt bike, and that was scary.(fun scare,hehee)(retired from that danger, need a cage at this age,hehee)

Thanks again,
It's always nice to communicate with people that are "leaders in thier industry."

Kyle
No problem, safety is the number one thing, I could not live with myself if someone died in my rail, even if it was their fault, I would still feel that I should have done more to protect them. Thats why my rail is so overkilled, for lake of a better phrase, it is there to protect the stupid people that may try to jump their house, lol...

I've had one thing break, I jumped 120 foot for about 5 hours, and at the time I was using cast iron VW hubs for the rear. The cast hub exploded on impact and the left rear wheel passed me as I slid to a stop. I have switched over to 6061 billet aluminum and outboard hubs so it never happens again....

First picture is from left to right, where my rear wheel started, to where I left a rut when the rear wheel came off. It is marked in red, and the 2 green lines are my buddy's quad lengthwise marking where I landed, the red line on the right is where my buddy was standing to mark the launch point. The rut is about 80 foot long, the cast hub fractured all over the place, the right one had cracks in it too, luckly it didn't break...

The rut is not included in the 120 foot jump, The rear wheels made no contact with the ground for 120 foot, and that wasn't even my biggest one.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broke5.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2379   Click image for larger version

Name:	broke4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2380   Click image for larger version

Name:	broke1a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2382  

Click image for larger version

Name:	broke3.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2383  

Last edited by yoshi; 07-19-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
it is there to protect the stupid people that may try to jump their house, lol...

The cast hub exploded on impact
Without the stupid people, Travis Prastrana wouldn't be doing those insane double suicide, superman, no hander, drinking his Monster/Red Bull drink, flips!! (hehee)

The cast iron.... > I'm suprise they made it that long. You gotta have one heck of a suspension. ...and man, seeing pics of your work & of your play pics makes me want to buy one! There is only one thing, they have one to many wheels! (hehee)
kyle
Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Here is the one that I have been talking about!!

Kyle:

A new member sent me a PM with this link. This is the RT that I saw on MSNBC. There is a good photo gallery on the page that the link goes to.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/articl...Of_Motorcycles

This is what I meant by Motorcycle with a F1/Indy car front suspension....
Old 08-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Fabricator

Hi!

It's nice isn't it!
I stumbled across this thread whilst searching for info on reverse Trikes.
I felt like the kid at the back of the class (long time since I was in school though) who know's the answer to a difficult question and is jumping up and down with his hand in the air
I just had to join in, and put you out of your misery.

Looks like a good site for fabrication info/tips, not just off-road related either.
I'm planning on doing some Trike building soon so I expect I'll be pestering you all for various bits of info
Are there many UK members on here?

Doc out...