Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Master Fabricator

Used cages, cons?

Hey guys, i have a question that i would like some advce on before i move ahead with this project of mine. So i bought a full pro am drift car that had never been smashed up and the cage was recently inspected and cleared for racing. It is a very well done chassis but the car was an impulse buy and ended up regretting it. Im using all components besides bare chassis for another project but we will talk about that some other time.
I have been working on a talon and just turned it full race (hill climb/track/autocross) and it needs a cage. I have been having no luck selling the bare chassis of the drift car so i did what i do best, brain storm. Performed ridiculous amounts of measuring and it looks like it will fit damn near perfectly in the talon. The only mods i would have to do is shorten the front tubes that weld to the front floor a bit shorter and add a longer rear strut cross tube. Obviously i will need to remove the roof from the talon, this is a easy task for me where i access to the tools and lots of help.

These are my concerns. Will the integrity of the welds that mount to the floor of the main cage be compromised from re welding again. I will be cutting the rear hoop as tight to the mounting plate weld as possible. The front i don't see an issue where ill be cutting about 2" away from the original weld. New mounting plates will be used and gussets placed from tube to mounting plates. (thats just me and my tendency to over kill things) but would it be needed? gonna add in cage to body dimple plates ect.

Let me know guys and if needed i can provide pics of specific areas as requested.

Greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Seems a little crazy to be cutting 2 roofs off ,im not familiar with your main car but if its a mono shell then youd be nuts to cut it ,buy or make a new cage would be my thinking
Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEGGERNAUT View Post
These are my concerns. Will the integrity of the welds that mount to the floor of the main cage be compromised from re welding again.
I don't really see an issue here as long as good welding technique is used. If the original cage was DOM, it was already annealed in the heat affected zone from the first weld, so the benefit of cold drawing have already been removed. The fact that you're using new plates, gussets, etc. takes care of whatever concerns I might have with doing something like this.

If you think about it, frames and cages get repaired or modified quite a bit by cutting at a weld, then welding new pieces in. I don't see what you're thinking about as being any different than that, other than being a whole lot of work.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:57 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
I don't really see an issue here as long as good welding technique is used. If the original cage was DOM, it was already annealed in the heat affected zone from the first weld, so the benefit of cold drawing have already been removed. The fact that you're using new plates, gussets, etc. takes care of whatever concerns I might have with doing something like this.

If you think about it, frames and cages get repaired or modified quite a bit by cutting at a weld, then welding new pieces in. I don't see what you're thinking about as being any different than that, other than being a whole lot of work.
This was my entire thinking as well. I got into a typical on line debate with some guys and it was a flat out no for re-use. Im just like this doesn't make sense to me. Like you said they get repaired all the time even in professional racing if damage is not to severe. Especially monster trucks and rally cars due to more prone to getting ****ed up. I did know the concern for the cold drawing but i do not know where that would not be an issue anymore, like distance away from original weld you can regain this. It is DOM cage from a convertible so no roof cutting there but the Talon is a unibody and would need the roof removed. I thought about drilling spot welds but even then it would not go in.The side panels curve in at the top so I was just thinking lopping it off with a saws all the fully welding it back on after. I know doing this compromises the structure of the unibody but thats where the cage comes in. Also welding the gussets from the cage to the columns would strengthen it back up. pics belong of the two cars

Old 01-16-2016, 07:52 PM
Junior Fabricator

have a close look at your screen pillar tops for spot welds where the roof sectoin is attached, likewise the b, and c pillars, taking the roof off to insert a fully welded cage isnt that uncommon in european builds......just think what a body shop does in a side impact repair where the roof is damaged....not rocket science, just bodywork and good welding
Old 01-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Master Fabricator

Why not cut the Cage?
Figure out where the feet will land and drill 4" holes in the floor.
Put the B-hoop in.
Then cut the A-B Top of Door bars off and load in the A hoop.
Put the A & B hoops in the exact spots and tack in the new over the door bars; then drop the A&B through the floor for access to making the final welds then lift the now 4 point cage up and put plates under the feet, add the kickers back in and presto a old cage in a new car.

E

Old 01-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Im with E,roof was not cut to fit the cage in first place..presume you don't have a bender etc ?