Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Welders and Welding

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:41 AM
Master Fabricator

Miller Infinity Helmet?

Hey guys,

I am in need of a new helmet. I currently have an old, like 10+ years old, Miller Digital Elite. I have fixed the head gear several times, it has very little of the flame design left and a few melted places. It still works fairly well although the fact that it only has two sensors means that I occasionally get flashed when in odd positions and lately the "on" switch has been really finicky and I sometimes have to press it three or four times before it comes on.

Since I really like this old Miller helmet I am thinking about another. I am looking at their new line of Infinity helmets with the 13.4 sq. in. lens. I hear that it is one of, if not the largest viewing area auto helmets on the market.

I guess it's a bit heaver then their current line of Elite Helmets at 24 oz. (the Elite is supposed to be 19 or 20 oz.) but I would bet it's about the same or lighter then my 10+ year old Elite.

I was wondering if anyone out there on our friendly forum has one or has a review of one. Pros and Cons. Etc...

Plus Miller is running a rebate that's worth $45 bucks back too. The best price I have found is $263 and with the rebate that makes is just $218.

Linky.

Thanx,
Jaysin
Old 10-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Master Fabricator

Red face

For what it is worth

I had one in hand today .

All I can say it is really heavy and it seems to be front heavy .

The lens is really thick

I really had to crank the side screws in tight to hold it in the upright position

There are times I still have the hood up getting things in position 8 or 10 hour it would hurt.

If I had the extra money right now I would buy one just to see if I liked it

Because if it is uncomfortable it will sit unused . I know myself.

then to do the welding
Old 10-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Junior Fabricator

No hijack here,just a related helmet question;
You guys ever had issues where your helmet will darken down fine for mig but not tig?
Old 10-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheulen View Post
No hijack here,just a related helmet question;
You guys ever had issues where your helmet will darken down fine for mig but not tig?
Yes I have, but it was my 20 year old Jackson auto hood. Any of the new quality auto hoods shouldn't have any issue. Some of the cheap (Harbor Freight, etc...) don't like to darken below 20-25 amps. The cheapies aren't really clear enough to TIG with anyway.

Wyoming,

Thanx for the input. I need to weigh my old hood to make a better comparison of the advertised weight of the Infinity.

If anyone else has input post it up.

Thanx,
Jaysin
Old 10-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Master Fabricator

No direct experience with the Miller helmet, but I will say that it's 1 sq. in. larger viewing area than my Lincoln (Viking 3350, 12.5 sq. in.). Weight on the Lincoln is 20 oz, and I don't notice it as being all that much heavier than my old fixed shade helmet with a glass lens in it.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Red face

If I did not have a new Arc One hood still in the box and just replaced a cartridge in another .

I would have come home with one today !!

It took every bit of self control if I can make it through Friday I should be ok!!

Hoods are a personal thing but my Arc One Hoods have the large viewing area for me that is a must have.

This is the only hood that might be bigger and I have always been a Miller person.

then to do the welding
Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Master Fabricator

For what it's worth, I just replaced my Miller helmet that had to be turned on each time (auto off after 5ish minutes, real PITA, flashed if you forget). The new one is not Miller, would have to look at brand, middle of the road price-wise. It turns off AND on automatically, VERY nice upgrade. Also added magnifier so I can weld without reading glasses. Also nice upgrade.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:55 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post
If I did not have a new Arc One hood still in the box and just replaced a cartridge in another .

I would have come home with one today !!

It took every bit of self control if I can make it through Friday I should be ok!!

Hoods are a personal thing but my Arc One Hoods have the large viewing area for me that is a must have.

This is the only hood that might be bigger and I have always been a Miller person.
I take it that you liked it. For just over $200 I think I'll likely go for it. I might be going by a welding supply tomorrow and if they have one I'll give it a tryout. I'll post a review when I get it.

Jaysin
Old 10-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Master Fabricator

I just broke my headliner in my speedglas hood. I want something new, but too many choices!!!

I will probably just duct tape it again

Steve
Old 10-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Master Fabricator

I know the feeling when your head gear in your hood breaks. My current hood has had the headgear repaired three times. It always seems to happen when I am in the middle of a job so I just fix it and get the job done, but I never seem to remember to replace the headgear later.

So I stopped by a welding supply today and tried on a Miller Infinity hood. I like it a lot. It is a little on the heavy side but I guess that is the trade off for the HUGE viewing area of the lens. The sensors are positioned all the way out at the four lens corners and the guy at the shop said that the arc flash only has to hit one of the four sensors to trigger it. He told me that a number of cheap helmets with four sensors need the flash to hit at least two sensors to trigger. I would have come home with it but he wanted $100 more then I can order it for and wouldn't budge on his price, if he would have met me half way I would have bought it from him and I even told him that but he wouldn't do it. I like to support the locals as much as I can but I've got to watch the pennies too.

Jaysin
Old 10-24-2015, 05:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Red face

I hope you know this is all your fault!!

I could have walked past these hoods several times a week with less then a casual glance.

I don`t need a new hood but this one sure holds my interest .

It is a shame more counter people won`t play lets make a deal .

The only downside is this is a new product bound to be a few bugs that need worked out.

Then there are far worse things your friends could turn you on to.

Best of Luck with this endeavor !!!

then to do the welding
Old 11-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Master Fabricator

Red face

Well did you buy one yet??

I have been fighting the urge on a daily basis.

It seems to be wearing off

then to do the welding
Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Master Fabricator

I did and it took a bit to show up but it finally came in and I have 1:04 hours arc time under the hood. Why such a specific number you ask? That is because the hood tracks both it's power on time and arc on time. Really trick.

I will say that it is a bit heavier then I am used to and it liked to fall down until I got it adjusted. But it can be down all it wants and you hardly notice because the viewing area is soooo big, it's like wearing a clear face shield.

So far I love it. Give me a few more days and I'll do a full review for all you guys.

Thanx,
Jaysin
Old 11-10-2015, 02:10 AM
Master Fabricator

How clear is the glass?
Old 12-17-2015, 04:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Red face

Well it has been long enough ??

Either you hate it and are so embarrassed to share your feelings .

You had it sitting on your desk at school and one of the trigger pullers knocked it across the room !!!

You love it so much your buying all the ones you can find to create a shortage so you can sell them for $999.99 and people think they are getting a super deal.

then to do the welding
Old 12-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Master Fabricator

So sorry. Life has been nuts lately and I just plain forgot about the review. The short answer is that I really love the new helmet, but as with all things there are some pros and cons. I don't have time this morning to do the full write up but I will do it very soon, in fact I made a note and stuck it to my computer to remind me.

Soon,
Jaysin
Old 12-17-2015, 06:34 PM
Master Fabricator

If anyone cares- My headgear broke again! More duct tape!

If I did not like the speedglas so much, I would get one of the new millers.

I just hate change.

Steve
Old 12-17-2015, 11:38 PM
Master Fabricator

So, my review of the new Miller Infinity Helmet.

I have now had this helmet for about a month and a half and I have put a fair amount of time behind it. All of the time has been MIG or TIG (I do very little stick welding).

First things first, the viewing area is F'ing HUGE. I literally forget the hood is down and find myself manipulating and moving parts around without putting the hood up, this is much different from every other hood I have owned. Secondly, the lens is very lightly tinted when not active so it is not only a big area but easy to see through as well.

The sensitivity is great. I tried some TIG at about 7-10 amps just to see and it hasn't flashed me once. I haven't done much out of position welding with it yet but I know that I have shaded at least two of the four sensors and it triggers reliably every time.

The new Miller headgear is super comfortable and will even fit my giant dome with a beanie on, that's a lot of head to cover. That said, the headgear seems very slender and lightweight and that makes me think that it might be prone to breakage, not that I have broken it. The material it is made of seems very flexible and tough though so I am hoping that it should hold up well.

As for the weight... This is one spot that it gets a bit of a negative. It is rather heavy for a modern hood, i guess you have to give up some weight for that BIG viewing area. However, the mechanism that keeps the hood raised seems to do a good job. I had to tighten it considerably right out of the box but I haven't had to touch the adjusters since. I would say that if you weld production 8-10 hrs a day it might be a bit hard on the neck muscles but not so heavy that a person couldn't get used to it.

The arc on time tracking is a neat feature. It would be a good tool to see how much of a day of fabrication is spent actually welding and then adjust your hourly rate or project price if need be. As a note, I spend less then 2 hrs arc on time in an 8 hour day of fabbing on average, just lots of layout, cutting and fitting.

For the money I don't think it can be beat and I think it will serve me well, but if I had a perfectly good auto helmet I don't think I would run out to buy one unless you really need the larger view area. I think that someone that does a lot of cage or under car work could really benefit from the fact that you don't have to get the hood perfectly aligned to be able to see your weld with the big viewing area.

Would I buy it again? You bet. Will I recommend it as a replacement to others? Again it's a, You bet. Would I drop the coin if I didn't need a new helmet. Not likely, but I am a cheap bastard.

All in all, I knew it was going to be heavier then my Miller Elite so that is not a surprise. I am very happy with my decision to take the plunge. I hope this might help someone make up their mind when shopping around for a new hood.

If I have any issues in the long run I will post them up here. I doubt I will though as I am not very hard on helmets like some people are.

Thanx,
Jaysin

P.S. If you have any questions that I didn't cover please feel free to ask.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice review. Thanks. Price: $260-$325
Old 12-20-2015, 03:17 AM
Master Fabricator

$260 - $300 seems common. I got it with the Miller rebate for $215.

Jaysin