Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Trailer circuit testing unit?

I want to make a self-contain trailer wiring/light tester. I have some vague ideas on how to construct such but am looking for input.

Goal; A self contained mobile unit that tests turn signals, parking lights, 4-ways, brake lights, brake function and maybe the accessory line. Plugs into the front of the trailer via 7 pin plug. Use adapters for 4,5, and 6 pin connecters.

I'm picturing using a hand truck with a car battery at the bottom, whatever sensors and meters at the top, and a remote with about 25 feet of cable.
The remote would have 1 on/off/on switch for left/right turn, 1 on/off switch for brake, 1 on/off switch for park, and 1 on/off switch for the accessory with led indicators. I believe I can figure out the relays and flashers to get this section up and running.

I would also like a circuit to test the electric brake function, and this is where my electronics knowledge falls short. Would I use an ammeter to test the electric brake function? How would I interprete the readings? How would I wire it up?

Any help or comments on my ideas appreciated.

Richard
Old 03-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Sounds interesting. Keep it light, use a small motorcycle battery. I would think you would want the remote cord long enough to use on the longest standard trailer, 53'.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:15 PM
Master Fabricator

I didn't put any flasher module in the one I built as it's not really needed.

You will wonder how you lived without it for so long though.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Fabricator

I've been thinking about designing one and manufacturing it for a long time now.. The reason I haven't is I didn't like the idea of the unit having to pack a heavy/automotive type battery around. That and it seems kind of dumb to build a unit that requires a car battery charger to charge it..

I'll be honest I didn't look very far into battery/charging systems as far as what is available.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Master Fabricator

I think if I was building one now from scratch I might incorporate a cordless tool battery holder to power the rig with maybe a buck converter for step down voltage control.

Allot of us are using cordless tools and the batteries (lithium) are a great source of power.

I guess you could use a powersport battery (lithium) for the same result or even build your own from 18650 cells.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post

<snip>

I guess you could use a powersport battery (lithium) for the same result or even build your own from 18650 cells.
I was also thinking 18650 batteries in series as the 12v source. I would over-complicate it with an Arduino microcontroller to cycle through each of the circuits automatically. The microcontroller would allow you to generate a blinking light without the flasher.

Joanne
Old 03-22-2016, 11:56 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks, everyone, for the insights and encouragement. After posting I did think of using my ryobi lithium battery for a power source but I'm building one for an acquaintance who owns a tools and equipment rental yard, and will be building two of which he has first choice. So a more generic power source is needed. I'll use a small 12V utility battery probably. I had someone say that the electric brakes use ~3amps, so 6 amps per axle. Can anyone confirm? I should say this is on car hauler and rental type trailers.

I also thought of using an arduino but have no experience and probably don't have enough time to figure it out. Maybe later down the road.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Engineer, and Shop Monkey

How about build the basic box and then apply 12v terminals to the outside so the user could use whatever 12v source they wanted.

I was thinking one of those Jump Boxes from the big box stores, or whatever vehicle you had handy you can use jumper cables. Also the idea of a small motorcycle battery is not a bad idea.

But having a test box for the trailer is not a bad idea. Might want it to active brakes too. Include plugs for all major brands of trailers. 4 flat, 5 flat 6 round and 7 round.

Carl
Old 03-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysFlOoReD View Post
I had someone say that the electric brakes use ~3amps, so 6 amps per axle. Can anyone confirm?
That sounds about right with the controller maxed out. I have an ammeter in my truck right next to the brake controller, and mine typically pull about 8 amps (2 per wheel).
Old 12-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Master Fabricator

You are talking about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Pr.../dp/B00FJJWMUS
Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Yes. I don't think I could build it new for that price. Definitely not if I include labor.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:52 AM
Master Fabricator

I have that one and the one for doing commercial seven pin wiring. I also have the large commercial version so I can test air brake systems. I love that little tool when sorting out trailer wiring.