Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasloki View Post
Vegas. Curtis Steel is the place. Primarily industrial, tons of virtually every kind, SS, AL, brass. The local industrial hardware place has 4' sticks of 1 1/2" .095 DOM for the outrageous price of 35 bucks.
There are about 30 steel yards in Vegas that come up when searching for Steel Tube. I do believe that I would let me fingers do some walking while on the phone I done some talking. If I can get it 150-miles from somewhere you surely can get it in a little place like Vegas

Last edited by entropy; 09-16-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: phatphinger
Old 09-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Fabricator

The other guy was the pic guy. I get REW from Curtis for about 25 bucks a stick, round 1.75 x .095. Fine for what I do in the local NASCAR series but the guys in SCCA or NHRA need DOM and 4130. The NHRA goes as far as to dictate the process when doing a cage (tig). IIRC the DOM is about 5 bucks a foot and the 4130 is about 7 bucks a foot.

Last edited by vegasloki; 09-16-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: wrong prices
Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
There are about 30 steel yards in Vegas that come up when searching for Steel Tube. I do believe that I would let me fingers do some walking while on the phone I done some talking. If I can get it 150-miles from somewhere you surely can get it in a little place like Vegas
There aren't 30 people that sell steel on that scale here in town. These are the guys they just don't stock DOM or 4130. They have several acres of product. That's why I was surprised they didn't have some laying around. Most of the smaller guys are smaller batch/higher cost or they are industrial supply joints or ornamental fab shops. And several have gone out of business in the crash. There used to be a lot more off road fab shops and customs fab shops but those shut down in the downturn. There are a couple of circle track fab shops but we all go to Curtis. I can get it, as much as I want every Monday. I just have to order it by Thurs.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Junior Fabricator

How about finding a good steel yard in San Diego. I googled and found about four or five went to go check em out and they were trying to sell me Schedule 40 pipe in place of 1 5/8 OD that I asked for.

ok thanks for the answers guys. Now as far as building a couple of steering links what kind of material would you recommend
Old 09-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Fabricator

Check out Superior Industrial Supply in El Cajon. It's a satellite of a place here in town that stocks small batch DOM and 4130. Even though it's primarily an industrial plumbing house they do stock some sticks of each kind. They sell by the foot, they are online at http://www.getpipe.com

1222 North Magnolia Avenue
El Cajon, CA 92020
Main # (619) 440-5900
Fax # (619) 440-5903

Can't help on the steering links. I'm a circle tracker, not a 4xer.

Last edited by vegasloki; 09-16-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: opps, left a w off of the url
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflacoramirez28 View Post
How about finding a good steel yard in San Diego. I googled and found about four or five went to go check em out and they were trying to sell me Schedule 40 pipe in place of 1 5/8 OD that I asked for.

ok thanks for the answers guys. Now as far as building a couple of steering links what kind of material would you recommend
Pop your linkz question out in to its own thread and be sure to tell us what it is for...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Ok can anyone provide me with a picture of DOM tubing up close so its easier to identify?
My pen holder

"Seam" is on the bottom

Seam side

Last edited by Jokenring; 09-16-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:24 AM
Junior Fabricator

Thanks I now feel a little less ignorant
Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Hi I'm new to this fabrication world and would like to know if any of U guys could tell me how to Identify the types of tubes.

I've always bought them at the same store but one of they guys told me that this was DOM and another told me the tube is HREW. From what I read it seems like this is HREW from the purple stripe of the weld. however i've heard that DOM also has somewhat of a seam.

The seam is only visible in color no difference in thickness or weld residue on either side. I looked at schedule 40 pipe today and that had residue from the weld on the inside.

And also is schedule 40 pipe strong enough? it seems to be very cheap
I wouldn't use pipe on anything structural or safety related i would just pay the extra couple bucks.

I have a section on my site that go's over the Three Types of Tubing (4130, DOM and Mild ERW) it covers the basics. I think you might dig it.

heres a picture i took with my phone of 4130 DOM & Mild next to each other

these are the most common colors of these types of tubing. But ive seen DOM from india and CHINA that is really bright like MILD steel.

Pro Fabrication Techniques.com
Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Junior Fabricator

(I hope I'm asking this in the right section....)

I use fluxcore on a Lincoln 135, so when is too much heat too much? I'm welding 1/8 mild steel tubing and grinding the weld area down to clean and prep it. I have discoloration through the welds, and then i burn through. So I grind out the slag and fill the new hole in with the weld puddle (wire is .035 fluxcore---->lincoln). Am I wrong in doing this?

I am making a flatbed framed out of 2x2 1/8" mild steel for my pickup

Last edited by blu88; 11-23-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Master Fabricator

are your using shield or none... also if you prep your tube to thin you will blow.. you should also try to pull instead of push your weld may help some

Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Junior Fabricator

shielded wire? yes

I have been pushing the weld, thanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Junior Fabricator

I have a question on keeping things (brackets, tabs) level square, etc.. what tools are you guys using for this? How can you make sure your link brackets are the same on each side for example? or shock mounts?
Old 08-04-2016, 02:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Hey guys is there any threads anyone can point me in the right direction to try problem solve what's wrong with my mig. Or maybe someone can help it worked fine until I lent it to someone (yes I know first mistake right there)
Now while I'm welding I'm cranking along laying a nice weld then all of a sudden the wire will ball up in the weld puddle splatter for a second or 2 then start welding fine again Iv replaced the tip insulator and shroud could this be a drive wheel or wire insert problem where should I start looking?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Master Fabricator

I'd look next at the liner the wire feeds through. It may have got kinked in transport.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Master Fabricator

I pulled the feed rollers out and cleaned them cas they were pretty dirty apon cleaning them found that it is only a 0.8mm drive roller and I'm running 0.9mm wire so will get another roller tomoro the guys I lent it too must have swapped the roller as Iv only ever used 0.9mm wire