Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Welders and Welding

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:27 AM
Master Fabricator

Cast Repair

Finished up a repair on a bellhousing today.

I was putting a engine in a GMC C6500 chipper truck when I found the top of the bellhousing had broken off.

Thankfully the piece was held on the back of the block with a bolt. We cleaned up everything and brazed the piece back on using Si Bronze filler with a tig welder.

The whole transmission hangs off the back of the bellhousing in this truck. There's no rear trans mount at all. I wanted to put a reinforcement on the repaired area as I didn't want it to crack later on. I drew it up in CAD and cut out it on our CNC plasma table. After I cleaned it up, I bent it to fit the curve of the bellhousing in our press brake.

I brazed it all up. I think it will be stronger than the original casting now as I've almost doubled the material thickness where the stress is.

I think I got a pretty good bead of filler material but some places I had a hard time getting it to wet into the casting at the edges really well. I think the casting was outgasing where this was happening near the corner. It got real black and sooty right there. I was running on AC with 90% penetration.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Master Fabricator

repair looks great but...
What causes a break there with 6 bolts remaining in the housing.
Even W/O a trans mount there should have been more damage the rest of the way around...

E
Old 06-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Master Fabricator

It has 5 bolts holding the engine and trans together. There's a plate adapting the bellhousing to the engine. The top center and two bottom side bolts go through the block. The other two bolts thread into the adapter. Two bolts hold the adapter to the block at the top. They were both broken so only the top bolt and two side bolts were holding it together.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock93 View Post
It has 5 bolts holding the engine and trans together. There's a plate adapting the bellhousing to the engine. The top center and two bottom side bolts go through the block. The other two bolts thread into the adapter. Two bolts hold the adapter to the block at the top. They were both broken so only the top bolt and two side bolts were holding it together.
Details that ya cant see, thanks for the whole picture

E
Old 06-24-2016, 08:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Your repair looks great! I really like running Si-Br, but haven't done enough to get really good at it. I run it on AC, also...it looked like crap when I tried running test beads on DC. DC gets the base material too hot and I wind up melting it instead of just brazing.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks. I learned to run it on an old transformer machine with no balance adjustment so doing it with an inverter machine that is completely adjustable makes things easier. I still really haven't found the perfect settings for Si Br as I don't use it all the time. I think I'm doing pretty well with it. I managed to braze up a sprocket that had split in half on a stump grinder. I didn't take any pictures as the customer was waiting on it as an emergency repair. It was supposed to be temporary while he could order another sprocket. I talked to him Friday and he mentioned it's still holding up three weeks later. He has a new sprocket but hasn't swapped it yet. This is great stuff to use for repairing these kinda of things that aren't really that weldable. One thing I make sure to do is V out any cracks/splits. I also clean the part really well.