Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

Old 04-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
So what happened? That goofy IFS geometry didn't work out so he want back to a solid axle? Or are these two different buggies for two different purposes?
He said, he wanted a suspension that does not work, in the conventional sense, because that is what he needs to be competitive.
For what he is doing and as competitive as he is at it, specialization is not that bad of a thing...
To me it is like Front Wheel Drive: Defies nearly every bit of logic! Except for building cheep rigs! That is all you need to sell cars Cute and cheep Works around the world.
From my perspective for a general use rig or Street Trail the solid axle is the hands down best choice, for pavement the IFS it can be argued is better but not by much.
However. like the rest of this post that is my opinion.

E
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
He said, he wanted a suspension that does not work, in the conventional sense, because that is what he needs to be competitive.
For what he is doing and as competitive as he is at it, specialization is not that bad of a thing...
To me it is like Front Wheel Drive: Defies nearly every bit of logic! Except for building cheep rigs! That is all you need to sell cars Cute and cheep Works around the world.
From my perspective for a general use rig or Street Trail the solid axle is the hands down best choice, for pavement the IFS it can be argued is better but not by much.
However. like the rest of this post that is my opinion.

E
Interesting.

I agree on the solid axle vs. IFS comparison, even on pavement. The only form of racing I know that has the two suspension types in direct competition on pavement doesn't have a clear-cut winner in that comparison, either.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Master Fabricator

IMO It just didn't work,saying it worked too well is just plain silly,spring and dampers are key to being bounced around right? ..Did he part out his previous buggies??
I think IS can be super in a lot of cases but it's just too expensive (to do right)for most ppl
Old 04-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Interesting.

I agree on the solid axle vs. IFS comparison, even on pavement. The only form of racing I know that has the two suspension types in direct competition on pavement doesn't have a clear-cut winner in that comparison, either.
But I think generally IS is always out in front on Pavement,certainly is in these parts
Old 04-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Master Fabricator

My Opinion...
Tim is using the natural motions of the solid axle/suspension to move the chassis.
Most suspension is designed to do the opposite.

E
Old 04-01-2016, 05:35 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Vortec View Post
But I think generally IS is always out in front on Pavement,certainly is in these parts
I agree unless it is IRS in which case it is behind
Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Vortec View Post
Because most designers dismiss solid axles for circuit racing.

In the ISMA supermodified series, both IFS and solid axles have always been allowed. Last year's champ ran a solid axle car. Granted these aren't your typical race car, but the inherent simplicity and fixed camber of a solid axle has a lot going for it, especially if you keep the weight to a minimum.

If you stop and think about it, a lot of the design goals with independent suspension have to do with controlling camber curves and roll center heights, two things inherent to solid axles. Not that there aren't many advantages to IFS, but a solid axle isn't necessarily a huge penalty, either.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Maybe the behaviour of unsprung weight is good for this application. I still think that particular ifs geometry was doing more harm than good, but I'd love to hear the rationale behind it.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:01 AM
Junior Fabricator

Wouldn't it have been simpler to go equal length arms on his rock bouncer since it's not see speeds as seen on road racing or Baja. I have a little knowledge as to steering geometry as I can do vehicle alignments, certainly wanting to learn more.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder/wrench View Post
Wouldn't it have been simpler to go equal length arms on his rock bouncer since it's not see speeds as seen on road racing or Baja. I have a little knowledge as to steering geometry as I can do vehicle alignments, certainly wanting to learn more.
There may be a torque reaction in the link geometry that he likes which the parallel links would not give.

In this case torque reaction rather the Anti-squat/dive because I feel it is a better descriptor.

E