Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Master Fabricator

sorry for the double post... my bad
Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 AM
OFN Business Vendor

Oh I messed around and partied...plenty. But I always worked.

BTW - I owe Troy at the fab scool some credit, He gave me the idea to turn my intake around on the LS1 and run it into the cab behind the dash. Sounds a bit like a wind tunnel with the fiberglass top on but it works awsome.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Fabricator

Just find a fab shop and offer to help for free. Be humble and start out sweeping and cleaning. eventually they will teach you everything you want to learn and probably hire you in the end. I believe it's called unpayed intern. That's the good old fashioned way of learning.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Master Fabricator

chairman thats exactly how i started in my uncles auto machine shop i went to school to get my welding certs and ase cert but they didnt teach me anything i didnt already know i just needed the paperwork to up my pay but theres no replacement in my opinion for real shop experience... a bok cant teach you "tricks of the trade"
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Junior Fabricator

sorry to bring this old threat up. i used to go to baker motorsports to learn and work there. jon baker is the owner of shop. hes a awesome with great heart! hes been helping me out alot and have patient with me which its good! i ve learn alot thing from him! if anybody want to go his shop to learn! i would recommend you guys to him!

jon baker had relocate new place in Costa mesa, ca.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Junior Fabricator

AAFab,

I am glad you have a local resource like Jon to help you out! That is what our industry needs, people willing to pass on the knowledge that they have gained over the years. We (fabricators) are a small community. Is there competition between shops, school, and teams yes. But it is good for the industry.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Junior Fabricator

hello thefabschool. i m sure you remember who i am. i me the one deaf guy who came your shop few years ago. decide not to go because you refused provide me interpreter and made me to paid interpreter plus classes thats what turned me off really bad.

so i decide to go with jon cause he even provide me interpreter for few month till i realize i dont need interpreter anymore. because jon learn sign and start to use sign language all the time when i m around or not.

i ve always dream to go your school cause i know its good school out there but, i am happy where i learn from jon which it good enough for me.

so yeah. thanks for leave comment. dont forget your school is the bomb and best school out there. =-)
Old 05-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrasive Trader View Post
If your going for a resume I would do Fab, just more reputable I think. They do a lot more marketing, trade shows and have a better set up for guys like you. I think Baker is more for the DIY guys ya know?

If you go to fab, tell April that Tom from Roark sent you. That way I can hassle them about how much business I send them
Hey Tom mind if I tell them you sent me also? I just spoke to one of thefabschool's reps about attending after my graduation and im going in to get a tour of their riverside facility. Plus helps you out too ya know? lol