Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Fabricator

Air compressor guard

My air compressor is from back in the 80's, although it hasn't gotten a lot of use. It was purchased used so I don't know if the PO removed the guard or if it never came with one. I had a little "incident" with an extension cord and the pulley so I decided it was time to see what I could put together to make it a bit safer all around.

This is my second time using riv-nuts and they sure are handy.

I feel a lot better about it now. It just seemed to be a serious accident waiting to happen.

Checking the fit before paint.

A quick coat of black and it's good to go.

Although it's not really fabrication, my little project did require some design, metal cutting and bending, and a bit of welding.

Joanne
Old 01-17-2014, 01:00 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks like fabrication to me. We all started somewhere. I should probably do the same thing, my little compressor doesn't have a gaurd either.

I see the one mount on top, are there at least three mounts? While I regularly see gards and whatnot with only two mounting points I have also repaired may that fatigue and break due to vibration, addind a third mount really helps to stop sheetmetal guards from breaking.

Keep it up.
Jaysin

P.S. I like your air cleaner.

P.P.S. How's that camp trailer of your's doing?

Last edited by JaysinSpaceman; 01-17-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Fabricator

Looks good.I also had a compressor that someone gave me with no guard.Scared my dog would stick her nose in it.Used a "Sportster" chain guard I had laying around.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Fabricator

Hi Jaysin,

Yes, I did use three mounting points, two on the bottom and one on the top. As you pointed out, I was concerned with vibration shaking it apart. I ran it today and there was no excessive movement.

The original owner had made up an air filter arrangement. After all these years the original foam was hard and needed to be replaced. I got on the K&N website and found one that would fit just right. Somehow it seemed quite appropriate.

My little trailer gets quite a bit of usage. I'm out exploring old abandoned mines quite a bit, often for a week at a time. Having a real bed is a joy.

Joanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
Looks like fabrication to me. We all started somewhere. I should probably do the same thing, my little compressor doesn't have a gaurd either.

I see the one mount on top, are there at least three mounts? While I regularly see gards and whatnot with only two mounting points I have also repaired may that fatigue and break due to vibration, addind a third mount really helps to stop sheetmetal guards from breaking.

Keep it up.
Jaysin

P.S. I like your air cleaner.

P.P.S. How's that camp trailer of your's doing?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
Looks good.I also had a compressor that someone gave me with no guard.Scared my dog would stick her nose in it.Used a "Sportster" chain guard I had laying around.
I like that idea!

My dogs also like to stick their noses where they don't belong. If it kicked on when their nose or tail was in the wrong spot, it could injure one of them terribly in the blink of an eye.

Joanne
Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Fabricator

Nice Job, Pretty clean too.

I like your air Filter, Im thinking to add one on my air compressor. Mine have a Protection, but I have made a Cage to protect all the compressor and also added new wheels to it.

I think now you need a new paint :)

see ya