Sorry for the delay, but here's a bit of an update.
I had my brother and his mate over on Saturday. The picture below shows the plating plan pretty crudely, but hopefully it will convey the idea. Still working on those cardboard prototypes...
* Plates will be welded to the floor and side of the chassis rail. The mount itself will be welded to these.
* Only slightly thicker material will be used e.g. 2.5-4mm. Any suggestions on thickness?
* Perimeter welded in. The circles denote plug welds, but I really have no idea on hole size or spacing.
* An identical plate to the floor plate will be added on the interior. This plate can be made larger than the underneath plate if deemed useful.
Also knocked up a little practice piece to get myself back into the swing of welding.
Some stringers on a bit of 2.5mm flat bar:
Some stringers on a bit of 1mm sheet (old BBQ lid):
Close ups of the 2.5mm lapped to the 1mm sheet:
Please be kind. I definitely feel like I need a fair bit more practice before I move to the car, but it felt like progress. A few thoughts:
* Feels like I'm depositing too much in general. Tacks are all way too big. Generally bulbous look. Will try and see if I can get a lower deposition rate going while still feeling hot enough.
* Still having difficulty "finding the arc" after starting. Kind of guessing what's happening for the first second or two while my eyes adjust. I think I'll keep trimming my stick-out for each start and actually resting the wire precisely where I want it to start. Also look for ways to improve seating position and lighting.
* Absolutely no idea how to plug weld :/ The holes were pretty big though ~12mm. Tried to do it in a continuous motion, but really didn't work. I was quite off to the side instead of directly above.
The box for the trailing arm to live in and how it attaches to those plates is a still a work in progress. Quite difficult to draw due to the funny angles involved.
I'll try and get something together ASAP.