Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Sorry Bandit..this is fun though....

Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootek View Post
Hey Clint, I know your busy and all, but do you have an update on the bender. Is it all painted and asembled? Any pics of it completed?

Oh, and can you send your blue print/files to everyone in the world so they wont ask anymore.
Yes Andy.....Clint is SUPPOSED to be busy with something else.....let's not get him sidetracked anymore....LOL J/K
Old 09-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

You guys are too much!

Well first off, thanks for all the well wishes and compliments. I am very flatterred by your comments.

I'm sorry to everyone requesting plans, but I simply wont be giving out my drawings. If you like this type of bender, I recommend you look into getting one of the RMD models or better yet, design and build your own version. You could always get some pointers from this thread and make improvements. Just look at the incredible benders that have been built and posted in similar threads right here on OFN!

As for the status of my bender, she's living a loanly life in the garage while I tend to a stack of other projects. Here are some pictures in it's current state of assembly.

I welded expanded metal onto the cart for shelfs. I used "flattened" expanded metal, which was just a bad idea. I recommend using the "non-flattened" kind instead because it's more rigid. This stuff tends to bend and vibrate a bit more than I would like. It looks fine though. I plan on skinning this in some sort of sheet metal, but I haven't decided on a finish (painted, polished, diamond plate, etc). I'm open to suggestions!

Ongoing 70 Nova build: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8160
Old 09-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Master Fabricator

I like the diamond plate look....it's so red neck, you just got to love it.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
You guys are too much!

Well first off, thanks for all the well wishes and compliments. I am very flatterred by your comments.

I'm sorry to everyone requesting plans, but I simply wont be giving out my drawings. If you like this type of bender, I recommend you look into getting one of the RMD models or better yet, design and build your own version. You could always get some pointers from this thread and make improvements. Just look at the incredible benders that have been built and posted in similar threads right here on OFN!

As for the status of my bender, she's living a loanly life in the garage while I tend to a stack of other projects. Here are some pictures in it's current state of assembly.

I welded expanded metal onto the cart for shelfs. I used "flattened" expanded metal, which was just a bad idea. I recommend using the "non-flattened" kind instead because it's more rigid. This stuff tends to bend and vibrate a bit more than I would like. It looks fine though. I plan on skinning this in some sort of sheet metal, but I haven't decided on a finish (painted, polished, diamond plate, etc). I'm open to suggestions!
Clint,

First off, I hope your health is well!!
Second, regarding the "skin", I think it would look pretty cool with some brushed aluminum or SS riveted to the square tube. I still like looking at that bender!! If I were you, I think I would probably be out in the shop at least daily, looking at it. Might not get any work done, but staring at it would be fun enough! ;-)

---Grant
Old 09-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Junior Fabricator

Thumbs up

WOW!!!, im new to this site, found it from another forum. I was looking into building a binder and i read the bandits Build and im really impressed. Great job, i am at a loss for words except for ,,, AWESOME........................................
Old 10-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Master Fabricator

is there s link to images for this bender i,m not seeing any pics of any kind
Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefrombc View Post
I can see them... pages and pages... try again?

Here are a few:

http://www.xtremefabricator.com/bender/bender1.jpg
http://www.xtremefabricator.com/bender/bender2.jpg
http://www.xtremefabricator.com/bender/bender3.jpg
http://www.xtremefabricator.com/bender/bender4.jpg
http://www.xtremefabricator.com/bender/bender5.jpg
http://www.xtremefabricator.com/bender/bender6.jpg
http://www.xtremefabricator.com/bender/bender7.jpg
http://www.xtremefabricator.com/bender/bender8.jpg

http://www.xtremefabricator.com/bender/

Last edited by Toyotero; 10-19-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Your probably not seeing them because your not a paid member. If a paid OFN member uses the "attachments" to post pics, unpaid members won't be able to view them.....just another reason to support the site!!!
I always say.."ya just might miss a life changing attachment!!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopars 4 Life View Post
Your probably not seeing them because your not a paid member. If a paid OFN member uses the "attachments" to post pics, unpaid members won't be able to view them.....just another reason to support the site!!!
I always say.."ya just might miss a life changing attachment!!

i don,t recall seeing anything when i registered about this being a paid membership site . it never asked of a donation or membership dues
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
i don,t recall seeing anything when i registered about this being a paid membership site . it never asked of a donation or membership dues
Being a paid member isn't a requirement, but it does give you extra privledges. Plus spending only $20 to help support this awesome site is money well spent IMHO.

If you wish to become a paid member, just click on 'USER CP' up top of any page, then click on 'Paid Subscriptions" over on the left, near the bottom.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Hey Capt..don't you need to be a paid member to view attachments?? I've told people that before, and I just hope I was shootin them in the right direction..I'm pretty sure you have to be though....

Shoot..how about this.....mikefrombc, can you see the following pic....?

EDIT..can any "non-paid members" see the pic??
Attached Images

Last edited by Mopars 4 Life; 10-22-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:57 PM

The pictures in this thread are not forum attachments - they are linked in from another website. You should be able to see them unless you have some sort of site blocker that isn't letting them get through.

My understanding with regard to forum attachments is (1) anyone with a free USER LOGIN can see attachments if they are LOGGED IN and (2) you have to be a paid member to attach items to a post.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopars 4 Life View Post
EDIT..can any "non-paid members" see the pic??

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
My understanding with regard to forum attachments is (1) anyone with a free USER LOGIN can see attachments if they are LOGGED IN and (2) you have to be a paid member to attach items to a post.

Correct.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Master Fabricator

hmm..cool..I don't remember why I thought that....
Thanks Corban....

Last edited by Mopars 4 Life; 10-23-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: duhhhhhhhhh
Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Master Fabricator

well for some reason i can finally see the images , very nice bender you built , how much was the components for the electronics ?? ( i haven,t read every page yet ) .

as a machinist can of offer one suggestion when you dial up the vice on the mill always dial the solid jaw on the vice never the one that moves on older vices they can be worn and it may not be 100% square to the solid jaw .

roughly how long did the project take ?? i just started sketches for my bender and have machines some of the parts , and have 1 die finished and the other started gotta love cnc , took 4 mins to do the profile on my 1 1/4" die
Old 11-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Thank you mikefrombc. I honestly can't recall what I had into the electronics on this, but I can tell you the PLC was donated by a Cal Poly alumni and that would be the bulk of the cost to reproduce the electronics.

My beginner status running the mill definitely shows in many of the pictures. You are keen to point out the dial indicator going across the moving face of the vise. Interestingly enough, you are not the first person to point it out in that picture. It definitely need to be on the fixed side.

I think if you look at the posts you might be able to determine the exact amount of time, but I spent roughly one quarter (10 weeks) designing and one quarter (10 weeks) building in my spare time. Somewhere in this thread I mentioned the hours I logged at the machine shop, but I don't remember any more. It was quite a few! Nowadays I would do a lot of things differently, but at the time I was learning basically every process from solid modeling to making a drawing to dialing in a vise to boring a hole to welding and the whole nine yards... I wanted this project to be a vehicle for learning and it certainly was that!

Today I work designing and building automated manufacturing equipment. If you've ever watched How It's Made, that's the sort of stuff I'm involved in. I love my work and I never would have gotten to this point without projects like the bender to learn from.

Best of luck with your bender and I hope to see some pictures on here soon!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Master Fabricator

no problem

i,ll post some images when i get further along i may do it all from the seat of my pants with limited sketches or i may get a buddy to help me do it in solid module either way it,s getting built very soon just gotta gather materials
Old 08-09-2009, 12:12 PM

REGARDING REQUESTS FOR DRAWINGS OR SOLIDWORKS MODELS
Over the years since I originally posted this build I have received dozens of requests for the drawings or SolidWorks models of this tube bender. While I am happy to see others building their own machines, I can not share my detailed design for duplication. Please understand there is simply too much liability. If you are considering building your own version of this machine (or any bender for that matter) start a posting on this forum. You can be sure I will respond with as much help as I can offer, as will many of the other very talented members here. Thanks for understanding - Clint aka TheBandit

Old 09-27-2009, 03:48 AM
Junior Fabricator

I found this thread from a link that jackalope posted on WeldingWeb. I just wanted to say that your project is absolutely inspiring. As everyone else has said, fantastic job!