Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 06-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Yeah now comes the hard part... painting it without any drips
Old 08-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER"B&quot View Post
Yeah now comes the hard part... painting it without any drips
You said it! I get back into town in September. I can't wait to get this pumpy cleaned up, skinned, and painted.

I'm thinking about powdercoating the cart black and painting all the other parts and panels with some industrial yellow paint. It might look a little gawdy that way, so I'm open to suggestions. One thing I would like to incorporate is some polished diamond plate, but only as a trim and I'm not sure where.

It's been sitting in storage for a few months now. I miss it desperately!

Ongoing 70 Nova build: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8160
Old 08-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithXtreme
Dude, those are awesome.....man that is where the money is....Making those NC controllers....if you could make those cheap for the Pro-tools 105....you could make a bundle.....I want one.
Me Too!

Awesome bender!

'course I had to watch the NC test twice for some reason
Old 08-15-2006, 09:55 PM

Thanks Jason!

One of the challenges for incorporating an NC control or readout on the Pro 105 is attaching a sensor. Because the mian die can be repinned, whatever is used to measure the angle can't be attached to the main die arm like on my bender. It would have to attach somehow to the die itself. I have been brainstorming ways to solve this problem, but the reality is I will be too busy with school and life over the next year to make any progress. If anyone has an idea, your input is welcomed.

I think it would make a killer product if I can pull it off.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Junior Fabricator

Thumbs up

beautiful work, its always nice to have that equipment handy also...
Old 09-07-2006, 03:19 PM

Thank you ezmoney!

Old 10-10-2006, 06:24 PM

As you can see, I haven't been able to work on the tube bender as planned this quarter. School is going to kill me (22units & a master's thesis).

Fortunately my first week back in school, I got to design and bend a few parts for my buddy. I made the first bend for him and had him do the rest. It was really neat to see someone else using the machine. He was really impressed with the combination of Bend Tech and NC control. Here are some pics.

I got a really cool phone call last week from my senior project advisor. The mechanical engineering department at Cal Poly wants to send me to a student project expo in Soule Korea to show the bender. I will be joining two other students and two professors. How cool!

Today I ordered another die from Keith (www.xtremecrawlers.com). I got a 1"x4x240 round tube die. Hopefully it will complement the 1-3/4 I already have. First project for that die will be a handle for the bender's cart!

Old 11-02-2006, 02:23 PM

My new die arrived yesterday (1"x4"CLR 240). Thanks Keith for the great customer service and quick shipping!

There is one unexpected issue with the die. Apparently for 4" and smaller CLR the Pro 105 dies use a smaller drive pin (3/4" vs 7/8") and the drive pin hole is situated close to an edge on the main die. Even for a 7/8" hole, I have to enlarge it significantly to accomodate a larger drive pin on my bender. But this hole is so small and so close to the edge that I would machine away the side of the die if I tried to enlarge it to the required diameter.

Looks like I have some brainstorming to do...

Old 11-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Fabricator's Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit
My new die arrived yesterday (1"x4"CLR 240). Thanks Keith for the great customer service and quick shipping!

There is one unexpected issue with the die. Apparently for 4" and smaller CLR the Pro 105 dies use a smaller drive pin (3/4" vs 7/8") and the drive pin hole is situated close to an edge on the main die. Even for a 7/8" hole, I have to enlarge it significantly to accomodate a larger drive pin on my bender. But this hole is so small and so close to the edge that I would machine away the side of the die if I tried to enlarge it to the required diameter.

Looks like I have some brainstorming to do...
The smaller radius dies do use a smaller drive pin. The pin will not go thru the swing arm as usual. It just goes into the die and the swing arm will push the pin around its radius. Check out the 105 kit die instructions http://pro-tools.com/die-assembly-link.htm on page 9 of the instructions. It will give you the idea.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 PM

Thanks Jody, but I believe the instructions that were shipped with the die say the smaller pin still goes through the swing arm. This is a 4" CLR die. I think only 2 and 2-1/2 CLR dies use the method you just described where the pin is pushed by the side of the swing arm.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Mad Welshman

This thread should be used as an example of why school is a good thing and just what is possible given hard work, commitment and determination.
You have my respect sir.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:47 PM

Thanks Loopy. I really appreciate that comment.

Here is some more video footage of the bender that I took while bending parts for my exo cage.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1441790523

Old 11-18-2006, 02:10 AM
What the hell is Metal?

Nice it just gives me goose bumps watching it do its own thing around the tube.

Contemplating switching to hydro. Not sure I can deal with the guesstimation on the spring back for every bend etc. I think I like having to muscle the tube around and feel the degrees going as I bend.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilde Kustumz
Nice it just gives me goose bumps watching it do its own thing around the tube.

Contemplating switching to hydro. Not sure I can deal with the guesstimation on the spring back for every bend etc. I think I like having to muscle the tube around and feel the degrees going as I bend.
Thanks Wilde Kustums. I think you'd find the springback issue isn't a big issue. After measuring the first few pieces I bent, I quit worrying about variation in springback because all the tube I have bent has been the same. If I had a different batch of tubing, different size, or different grade, then I'd have to keep track of springback a little more carefully. That's where Bend Tech's free Springback Chart would come in handy.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Junior Fabricator

Hey I didn't know you were doing this for your senior project. I'm out of the loop. Good Work, even Mikey could use it!

-Cory
Old 02-01-2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks Cory! It was a damn giant senior project. I'm happy to be pretty well done with it for now. It's sitting in the corner of the garage collecting dust while I work on my health and other projects. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it again one of these days. It needs a lot of finishing work.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Junior Fabricator

how do i get one of these... haha.. seriuolsy.. when ar eyou going to start selling them?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Master Fabricator

I hope my bender works as well as yours. I love the hydraulic hard lines. I am going to do that on my hdro cart as well. Your whole project and post was what inspired me to even give my idea a try. Thanks Clint.

Darrin
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Master Fabricator

Well I'm new to this site and just finished reading thru all the seven pages on this thread. And what can I say that hasn't been told before? Pretty much nothing.

Just allow me to say that this is one piece of great machinery you've built. Everything is superb about it: The whole idea, the design, the machining, the electronics, hell, even the hydro tubing bending work is excellent! You're going to become one hell of an engineer.

Two thumbs up to you and let me treat you to a virtual , you've earned it...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Master Fabricator

All I have to say is, HOLY CRAP!!!! That is one AMAZING project. I just read thru the entire thread like Alejoint, and I am more than impressed.

I soo want to learn how to do mill and lathe work. I am humbled by your skills and abilities. My hat goes off to you.