Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 05-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Master Fabricator

Thumbs up

SImply Amazing!!! This is so cool. I only wish I was a 1/10 as talented as you.. You should be VERY proud of yourself.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope
SImply Amazing!!! This is so cool. I only wish I was a 1/10 as talented as you.. You should be VERY proud of yourself.
You're making me blush! WAY too flattering Thanks!

UPDATE

I wanted to post a few pictures to go along with the video above. I realize I haven't taken any pictures of the machine as a whole, so here are a few for ya.

(Below) First, this is what the prototyped user interface looks like. I labeled what the lights, buttons, and knob are for. The electronics aren't as complicated as they look; most of the work is being done by the PLC.

(Below) Here's the brains of the operation. I mounted the PLC in an electrical box from Home Depot. It's a bit of a wiring nightmare right now, but after the machine is disassembled for finish welding and paint I will do a better job wiring it up. I made connectors so I could use a standard computer printer cable to connect the user interface to the PLC. This really helps since I have so many wires going between the two.

(Below) Here are some overall pictures of the bender rolled into the driveway. I have a lot more plans for the cart like panelling, shelves, and doors, but the main bending assembly is pretty well finalized.

Last but not least, a picture of the mad scientist next to his creation.

Here is a list of the videos I've uploaded for those that didn't catch the above threads.
Initial Hydraulic Test - http://bender.xtremefabricator.com/BenderTest.wmv (2mb)
First Tube Bending Test - http://bender.xtremefabricator.com/BenderTestTube.wmv (18mb)
NC Controller Test- http://bender.xtremefabricator.com/BenderTestNC.wmv (5mb)

Ongoing 70 Nova build: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8160
Old 05-21-2006, 11:42 PM
OFN Member

Dude, those are awesome.....man that is where the money is....Making those NC controllers....if you could make those cheap for the Pro-tools 105....you could make a bundle.....I want one.

Chopworx.com
Old 05-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Glad to see you got the new encoder mounted OK, and the controler is working. Looks like you're ready to start bending some tube? or are you going to completely finish the bender first? As always excellent job!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Master Fabricator

cant wait

I cant wait to see after the tear down and completion. this project is awsome!!! the electronics are incredible. its so smoooooth now. and the loud ass beeeeeep! would help me. i have over bent pieces because i was talking to someone while bending.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithXtreme
Dude, those are awesome.....man that is where the money is....Making those NC controllers....if you could make those cheap for the Pro-tools 105....you could make a bundle.....I want one.
Thanks Keith! That's an excellent idea. I will give it some thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab
Glad to see you got the new encoder mounted OK, and the controler is working. Looks like you're ready to start bending some tube? or are you going to completely finish the bender first? As always excellent job!
Thanks Captain! I plan on bending tube this week for the bumper (can't wait to use that POB bracket!). After that I will be transporting it to campus where I will be showing it off at a senior project exhibit. Then it will be torn down for storage at a friends house over the summer. When I get back Fall quarter I will work on finishing things off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootek
I cant wait to see after the tear down and completion. this project is awsome!!! the electronics are incredible. its so smoooooth now. and the loud ass beeeeeep! would help me. i have over bent pieces because i was talking to someone while bending.
Thanks scoot! You'd have an awfully tough time overshooting your set angle with this bender. It doesn't just beep when it reaches the set angle - it also bypasses the hydraulics. You can pull the lever all you want - the machine wont advance beyond the angle you set it to. It will stop there and wait for you to retract or set a different angle. An indicator light tells you that the machine is in bypass mode. My girlfriend cranked out a perfect 180 on her first time ever using the machine!

Old 05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Man, that is absolutely amazing. <bow>

And for an encore, why not add spring back? Sure would be handy if you have a pile of consistent tube, and making a bunch of bend for something like a roll cage, just punch in the number like you do for BendTech. From that point on, just enter the angle you want and done. If you notice a trend to be 1/2* under/over or whatever, tweak it as you go to get consistent perfection. Next batch of tube is a bit different, tweak it once and perfection for the rest of the run. That would rock, and reduce the potential impact of too much mental "lubricant" (aka adult beverages).

In any case, that is so far beyond what I am even remotely capable of that I am completely humbled. Amazing work is an understatement.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit

(Below) Here's the brains of the operation. I mounted the PLC in an electrical box from Home Depot. It's a bit of a wiring nightmare right now, but after the machine is disassembled for finish welding and paint I will do a better job wiring it up. I made connectors so I could use a standard computer printer cable to connect the user interface to the PLC. This really helps since I have so many wires going between the two.

And after watching the NC video, I thought your girlfriend was the brains behind all this. LOL!

Once again, you have inspired me to get off my butt and go make something.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDog
Man, that is absolutely amazing. <bow>
Thank you!

Quote:
And for an encore, why not add spring back? Sure would be handy...
I have an idea on the back burner I can't wait to cook up. If it works as designed, you wont need to dial anything into the bender no matter what size or batch of tubing. The machine will automatically compensate for springback without any input or calibration from the user. Top secret...

Quote:
In any case, that is so far beyond what I am even remotely capable of that I am completely humbled. Amazing work is an understatement.
You are way too flattering! Don't cut yourself short. I am incredibly fortunate to have access to the tools and education to pull this thing off, but there are many people out there with great ideas and the potential to blow this project out of the water. More than a few of the brilliant minds here on OFN could do this if they had access to the appropriate tools and the time to do it. I am just very lucky to be where I am at and I can't tell you how much I appreciate my situation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBURES
And after watching the NC video, I thought your girlfriend was the brains behind all this. LOL!
She has been incredibly understanding throughout this project and she is genuinely excited about it too. I am lucky to have had such a great gal by my side for over six years now (that's right: high school sweethearts!). She is incredibly supportive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBURES
Once again, you have inspired me to get off my butt and go make something.
Keep us posted! I am really looking forward to what you come up with on this EB project. After seeing what the Poly Performance guys did for Wayne's Bronco, I am truly excited by the potential of your project.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Hellraiser

Bandit, I'll keep the pics and ideas flowing on the EB, but its sad to say it probbably will not quite be the caliber of the ones that Polly P has done. Time, budget, and resources, mostly budget, will set some limitations. But thats not to say mine wont be crazy and unique! A bit like your bender?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:25 AM

In a lot of cases with fabrication time seems to be more of a limitation than budget, but I definitely feel you when it comes to the PolyPerformance Bronco. That build has some big time bling expensive parts! I'm not lookin' for super fancy, but I have a feeling you are going to do some clean work and that's the stuff I like reading about!

UPDATE

I have started making the first few parts with the bender and so far everything is working great. The first project is a tube bumper for my Toyota. Here is a picture making a four bend, single plane part.

There is more information on the bumper buildup here:
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ad.php?p=10907

Old 05-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Master Fabricator

Awesome!!!
To follow up with what Keith said, the NC would be a sweeeet a$$ option to have. Seriously give this some thought. As well as you have planned this thing out, I am SURE you could devise something to adapt to existing bender such as the ones most of us have. A "simple" hydraulic, electric,NC, diagram and then let the buyer adapt it to their application.
I was going to post a link over on the Practical Machinist forum for your bender. There are a lot of guys over there that can appreciate this. i will post a link if that is cool with you.--Grant
Old 05-24-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Awesome!!!
To follow up with what Keith said, the NC would be a sweeeet a$$ option to have. Seriously give this some thought. As well as you have planned this thing out, I am SURE you could devise something to adapt to existing bender such as the ones most of us have. A "simple" hydraulic, electric,NC, diagram and then let the buyer adapt it to their application.
I think this is a good idea and within' my capabilities. I have been giving it some thought already and I have a few different ideas on how to pull it off.

Quote:
I was going to post a link over on the Practical Machinist forum for your bender. There are a lot of guys over there that can appreciate this. i will post a link if that is cool with you.--Grant
Sure, post up a link if you like. Just let me know where you post it so I can read all the bad things they have to say about me.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Master Fabricator

I posted it today. Here is the link.
BTW, this is a great site for all machining stuff. Plethora of knowledge over there.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cg.../1/22510.html?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
I posted it today. Here is the link.
BTW, this is a great site for all machining stuff. Plethora of knowledge over there.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cg.../1/22510.html?
Thanks jackalope. There were some very flattering comments made over there. Looks like a nice bunch of folks!

UPDATE

Today I took my bender to a senior design expo on campus for it's public debut. Since I started my project, the curriculum has changed such that people no longer do individual senior projects like mine. Instead, companies sponsor projects that are worked on in groups (usually four people teams). During this expo, students bring in their completed design projects and the companies come to campus to see what the students have come up with. It was kind of like a giant science fair with about a hundred or more people mingling about. Although I am not a part of the new curriculum, the faculty extended an invitation for me to show my bender there.

I wish I could have seen some of the other student's projects, but I was kept incredibly busy showing people my tube bender. It was a big hit with the folks that came in, including students, faculty, and representatives from industry. I talked to so many people, my voice gave out after a couple hours and I could hardly speak when it came time to make a demonstration.

Many people were very curious, asking all kinds of questions and even taking pictures with their camera phones and digitals. More than a few people spent a lot of time looking over each detail. It's amazing what people pick up on having never seen the machine. I had questions running the gamet from very technical to "what does this thing do?" The most frequently asked questions were "you made this all yourself?", "do you have a sponsor", and "how much did you spend on this?". Nearly everyone I talked to told me how impressive they thought the project was.

I did dozens of dry runs to show people how the machine worked, but I couldn't afford to just waste tubing making countless bends over the period of four hours. So I advertised two full demonstrations where I made complete parts involving multiple bends. The number of people that gathered to see these demonstrations was amazing; I was completely surrounded by a wall of people wanting to get a view of the machine in action.

Both demonstrations went very well, although I had a larger crowed at the second one. During this second demonstration is when it really hit me that this machine was a success. I loaded a piece of tubing in, lined up my POB bracket, explained how the machine worked, and dialed in my desired angle. As the machine advanced, people watched closely and I heard a few people comment on how smooth/fast it was. When the machine reached the desired angle, beeped, and stopped, there was a brief pause of silence... then suddenly applause broke out. Heads were nodding and congratulationes were shouted. I can't begin to tell you how great it felt to get that reaction.

All in all the expo was a success. Among the companies I talked to was Haas Automation, who's representatives showed a strong interest in the design. I spent about ten minutes with them going over the machine and they had nothing but good questions and good things to say. I think I made a lasting impression on them, which is important since they are among the companies I would like to persue a career with when I graduate.

I did not get any pictures from the expo, but there was a photographer there that promised me some digitals. I will post them up as soon as I get them.

Last edited by TheBandit; 06-02-2006 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Way to go. That's got to be a kick ass feeling knowing YOU designed and built this thing from start to finish and that BIG WHIGS take notice! Awesome work!!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Myself I'm not to supprised at the reaction you recieved at the expo. I think you deserve every bit of praise, congratulations , complement, and recognition you get. I feel, and I'm sure others feel the same, that you've accomplished one hell of a job on the design, fabrication,execution and documentation of your bender. I'm thinking that once the word spreads of what you've done with this bender, you'll have no problem finding a job that you want.

I can't say much more other than...Excellent Job!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Congrats on a job VERY well done, though I must say I'm not at all surprised at the expo response. You earned and deserved it...
Old 06-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Congrats on a job VERY well done, though I must say I'm not at all surprised at the expo response. You earned and deserved it...
X's 2

You have not only built and designed a BAD to the BONE piece of equipment. You have given us the satisfaction to be able to read and view your accomplishments. Hats off to you my friend
Old 06-14-2006, 03:33 PM

WOW you guys are SO NICE! I feel so completely flattered - can you see me blushing?

Thank you so much for all the kind words. I'll keep saying it because I mean it - your support is what kept and keeps me going!

I am so glad people have enjoyed reading this. It was absolutely my pleasure and I greatly enjoyed sharing this project with everyone. There are SO MANY incredibly talented people that have all been a part of this project through their comments, suggestions, ideas, and encouragement. The amount of talent on this forum superceeds me and I have benefited greatly from everyone here. THANK YOU!

Today I bring good news. I turned in my senior project report (the technical report explaining my design, testing, and results) and received an A on this project! As far as the college is concerned, this project is complete and was a successful exercise of the engineering practices I have learned. This gives me a great sense of completion, even though I have much more work to do to make this "finished" in my eyes.