Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Master Fabricator

Great work, great info. Thanks for sharing, both of you!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Master Fabricator

Brief update...I got the filter secured to the top of the airbox:

Initially, I just had the clips on it (which are 304 stainless, 0.060" thick), but the filter is pretty floppy and I wasn't comfortable that it would stay sealed well. So, I added the stainless strips between the clips and the filter to provide a little rigidity. I haven't welded the clips to the strips yet...I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to.

The next thing up is a breather tank for the rear end. This allows the rear end to vent without losing grease everywhere. Here's the start of it:

It's a triangle because it's going to fit in the space between the main hoop of the rollcage and the rear down bar on the right side. I'm going to be trying out Jaysin's aluminum welding tips on this one.

Last, I took a step back and tried to get a little perspective on the whole car. I'm using this picture to help sort out the design of the bodywork:

Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Just so much badazzitry in one picture!

E

Old 08-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post

E
What he said!!

Good luck on the breather tank, not that you need it.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:39 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
What he said!!

Good luck on the breather tank, not that you need it.
Thanks!

Better cleaning definitely helps the process of aluminum welding, even with "clean" new aluminum. Like you said, it just flows and wets out better after taking the time to clean the oxide off the welding rod and material. I'm not sure why this never clicked before, because I religiously clean mill scale off of tubing. I guess "shiny" just equaled "clean" in my mind.

Anyway, when things are flowing together better, I was able to concentrate more on making good, consistent beads:

I have a couple of bumps where I got out of rhythm and a hole opened up on me, so there's just a bit more filler in those areas. Overall, I'm really happy with the end result. Plus, I was able to fuse most of the tacks without filler, which saved a bunch of time because I didn't have to file down big tack welds.

Here's the almost finished product with the filter and fittings installed:

I still need to add some mounting tabs, but after that it's full steam ahead on bodywork.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Master Fabricator

Those welds look like they wet in at the edges much better. An old dog can learn a new trick.

I'm just glad I could help. It's the fact that aluminum doesn't have a black scale to remove that makes people think it must be clean enough. I think it is why it is hard to get my students to realize the importance of cleaning aluminum before welding.

Jaysin
Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Junior Fabricator

I've got a buddy who says that his aluminum welding looks like a stack of dimes, with a nickle and quarter thrown in ever once and a while.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Dynamite work! I love the looks of the flat-filter airbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Last, I took a step back and tried to get a little perspective on the whole car. I'm using this picture to help sort out the design of the bodywork
I have some ideas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	novasprintcar.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	8217  

Ongoing 70 Nova build: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8160
Old 08-14-2015, 11:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post

I have some ideas...
Muhahahha! thats hikarious! See, I cant even type!
Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:

I have some ideas...
Hilarious!!!

I took the day off work to get in some bodywork. Here's a teaser:

More to come when I'm using a computer...
Old 08-17-2015, 07:50 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB View Post
I've got a buddy who says that his aluminum welding looks like a stack of dimes, with a nickle and quarter thrown in ever once and a while.
Yep, that's a pretty fair description of mine as well.

Finishing up the rear end breather. Attached to the car:

The business side:

On to bodywork...

I started with the hood since it's the hardest part, and has the most effect on other pieces surrounding it. I started with some sketches, then masking tape on the car to get a rough visual on what I wanted. After that, I made the top panel in front of the airbox, which allowed a little finer point on the masking tape to be sure of what I was doing moving forward. Here is that point in the process:

After that, I made the front panel. I used the brake to bump form the sides by making a number of small bends. Then, I used tank rolls in my bead roller to form the edges of both panels where they mate together. After some careful trimming and hammer/dolly work, they were tacked together:

I then did a posterboard mockup of the side panel to get a better read on how big the blank needed to be:

After more careful fitting, I had the left side in place:

I ended up having to do the hood sides in two pieces. The original plan was to do them in one, but it's not possible to make that combination of bends with my brake.

Right side. This went a little faster than the left.

Front view:

I finished welding it up last night. Now I need to get it secured to the car so I can finish trimming it up and start on the surrounding panels.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:57 PM

Nice! Why did you start on skinning it now? Are all the wiring/plumbing bits done? Seems like you would have gotten it running and done some hooning around the neighborhood before skinning it.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Nice! Why did you start on skinning it now? Are all the wiring/plumbing bits done? Seems like you would have gotten it running and done some hooning around the neighborhood before skinning it.
It's mostly so we only have to put the magneto in and set the timing once. I'm trying to get all the welding done before that point because welding on a car with a magneto in it is a good way to ruin the mag.

The wiring is really minimal on one of these. Just the two kill switches (dash and throttle) to ground the mag, the connection from the tach to the mag, and that's it.

Hooning around the neighborhood is tough without a clutch! My buddy has a starter setup that attaches to the back of the quick change, so we're going to use that to start it once we're ready. Much safer than push starting on public roads, and less likely to involve local law enforcement. Also much less fun...

Old 08-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Master Fabricator

After spending many hours in the shop this past weekend, I am happy to report the car was rolled outside with the body on for the first time. I am nearing the end of the fabrication work on this project and we're really close to hitting the track.

Here are a couple of in-process photos:

While they're all flat panels, it's sort of deceptive. Nearly every one has a stepped edge, rolled edge, or notch somewhere. I was trying to make access to the internals of the car as simple as possible while getting the look I was after.

A bunch of panels overlap and share Dzus fasteners and plates. This was partially to make everything a little stronger and seal the car up better, and partially to save weight of extra hardware.

Outside for the first time!

Charlie approves...

So does Grady...

On the scales for the first time. I'm pretty happy with the numbers, way lighter than the old car.

I have a couple pieces left to do, but this is really close to being a race car and not just a collection of parts.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Master Fabricator

This is your go cart on drugs!!
Old 08-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Pretty sick looking Graham! It looks like it would scare the bejeezus out me...in a good way! Just curious, how much did it weigh and what do you think it will be in race trim?
Old 08-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMike View Post
This is your go cart on drugs!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS3g View Post
Pretty sick looking Graham! It looks like it would scare the bejeezus out me...in a good way! Just curious, how much did it weigh and what do you think it will be in race trim?
Thanks!

Scales said 1390 total, 54.3% rear, 54% left. Guessing it will be close to 1440 or 1450 with fluids and shocks on it. It's not too bad, but I was hoping for a little lighter than that. We have to weigh 1600 with driver after the feature. The biggest handicap to getting there is the iron engine block (we're allowed aluminum...which is like 75 lb lighter, but not in the budget right now). I need to take a hard look at everything to see where I can find some lbs. One thought I had was making a second set of headers out of 18 gauge tubing. We'll see...I want to get to the track first, then see if we can drop some weight somehow.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Master Fabricator

She's a looker. Can't wait to see a video or 12.

Nice,
Jaysin
Old 08-25-2015, 07:07 PM

oooh sexy. Don't you dare put that thing into a wall!

What kind of graphics/paint do you have planned for it?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks great! Must be great feeling to have it this far along. Kinda sad for us, hate to see this build come to an end. I look forward to progress every time I turn on the laptop. Sure hoping you start a new build thread when this is done.