Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > Introductions/Connections

Introductions/Connections Introduce yourself, your rig, your skillz....Get Connected with someone

Introductions/Connections Introduce yourself, your rig, your skillz....Get Connected with someone

Old 09-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Master Fabricator

Question Axle choices

now be gentle I'm new to this. I'm wonderin how do toyota axles compare to Dana axles? would the toyotas be in general comparable to Dana 30's or 44's in strength?? I see alot of people runnin the toyota axles but only dana 60's so I'm curious how they rate or compare. Thanks for your input

Dave
Old 09-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Master Fabricator

By observation because I don't mess with Toyota's after I blew up my first one, I am always stunned that it takes a Dana 60 to tun a 38" tire and yet the far smaller Toyota can get away with it.

I do not think that comparing a D60 to a Toy is even close to equal and size on size the comparison is more likely to the D44 series.

I'm sure that it also depends on which Toy axle is being compared.

I would say increasing in strength...

Sub D44 et-al
D44 & Toyota Isuzu, etc.
Various Portal
Dana 60
Rockwell
Superunobtanium.

Curious what others think.
E

Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Master Fabricator

thats a good point in that I don't understand how toyota axles can run big tires with a
8" ring gear and work but in the danas you need to go up to the 60's. I'm lookin at building a single seat along the Pimpin budget buggy but thinkin about using a dana 44
drivers side diff in the rear amd passenger side diff in the front. I ran 38" swampers on a chevy luv and dana 44 rear axle and had no problems but prior to that I exploded the spider gears on the stock luv rear end which seems no different than the toyota axle, tho that happened from a hole shot on dry pavement but the dana held up to such silly things.

Dave
Old 09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Master Fabricator

To understand this a little better you also have to look at the other mods that people run. It's not so much the axle as the upgrades that are available and the driving type. Typically Toyota guys are used to low power with high gearing. The rigs are typically lighter too. I've had issues with axle shafts but there are plenty of upgrades. I was popping factory birfields with 33's, 4.88 gearing and dual cases. When I upgraded to 35's and 5.29 gearing I also upgraded axle shafts. I ended up putting in a D44 shaft conversion. I haven't been pleased with them and am going to be upgrading again to a set of Dirty 30's from Trail Gear.

The technical... I saw a comparison one time with a d35 and a d44. The Toyota axle fell right between the 2. The final rating for the front was about 200hp with 35's while the rear was rated for 250 hp with 35's. I feel that this is true to an extent. Horse power doesn't break axles... torque does. so the more you add to vehicle the harder you are on the shafts.

The up side to the Toy axles is the housing is A LOT smaller and a lot more cost effective then a D60 or above. Plus they are lighter. so as long as you keep the weight down the yota axle's do pretty good.

Paul G.