Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 10-29-2016, 01:52 AM
Designer & Builder

Bend Tech!!!! Yes!!!

So I haven't used BT too much but I needed a tube bent to fit my crazy idea for a cage bottom. 6 bends. It fit perfectly. Make an amateur look like a pro.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Fabricator

Nicely done!
Old 10-30-2016, 09:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Thats awesome Rory...them back to back bends are nice... what CLR dies?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:06 PM
Master Fabricator

For sure nice job, I tell people it's too easy to design something you can't even build.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 PM
Designer & Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrler View Post
Thats awesome Rory...them back to back bends are nice... what CLR dies?
1.75 X 5.5 CLR, it was as close as possible with that die.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

How many bends and planes do you have on that one?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Designer & Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
How many bends and planes do you have on that one?
6 bends, and I guess really only two planes. I should have kick the last one back at a 30 and down so I could claim 3 planes. LOL. I have to make a mirrored copy for the left side next. Then in my opinion the hard tubes are next, the cage.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Master Fabricator

Is there any video out there of guys using bend tech in a shop ie taking the measurements from the car imputing to bend tech taking to bender and producing the part be interested in watching a few to see how the program works Iv watched a few bend tech vids but it's only just of the computer program I'd like to see how guys measure plot and plan for multiple plane bends and notches
Old 12-21-2016, 12:11 AM
Designer & Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducas99 View Post
Is there any video out there of guys using bend tech in a shop ie taking the measurements from the car imputing to bend tech taking to bender and producing the part be interested in watching a few to see how the program works Iv watched a few bend tech vids but it's only just of the computer program I'd like to see how guys measure plot and plan for multiple plane bends and notches
Cool idea. I just measured key locations, made a sketch, then added the data to BT. I have most of the cage done, when I do the bumpers I'll see what I can do. But that's not in the near future.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Will bend tech tell you if a bend is not possible, ie if your bends were to close together does it know? Or If you were doing a bend right at end of a tube does it know how much tube is needed to go through the backing block?
Old 12-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Designer & Builder

Quote:
Will bend tech tell you if a bend is not possible, ie if your bends were to close together does it know? Or If you were doing a bend right at end of a tube does it know how much tube is needed to go through the backing block?
From my experience no it does not recognize bends too close together, as I could just barely get the bends I did but it worked. The issue was the clamp fitting the tube since the tube was arcing away from the die. With the length I had a tube come out just about too short because of not enough material on the end. Bend and learn. But I'm a newbie, Cris might be able to answer this better.
I am like most customers I've dealt with, I wanna run the machine and I want it now. Who has time for videos or reading? Yes I've got stuck and reviewed the Help topics and found the answers. Read the instructions last if there is no way out, right?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:35 PM
Master Fabricator

I think it will show you a problem exists, if you are smart enough to catch it. There are provisions for changing bend angle and direction also. Say if you have two bends close together in the middle then you can bend from each end of the tube towards the middle.

Look in the simulations.

Edit: In 7x go to custom part then "Part Details" then "Bend Order" in that window you have the 5 different options for bend order. Sometimes you can solve the interference by bending from the opposite direction. It will take a little goofing around to see if you are clear or not though. The software does have the "manufacturing ability" feature available in the higher versions starting with SE.

Last edited by CarterKraft; 12-21-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Bend-Tech SE has this ability. You put into the Die library with each die the min distance between bends and the min distance needed on each end.

http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 12-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Master Fabricator

Does your spring back increase as your bend angle increases? Ie 15deg bend to 20 deg (5deg Spring back ) but a 90deg bend go to 98 deg ( 8 deg spring back) ?
Old 12-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Does your spring back increase as your bend angle increases? Ie 15deg bend to 20 deg (5deg Spring back ) but a 90deg bend go to 98 deg ( 8 deg spring back) ?
I have seen it both ways. Depends on bender and material. I haven't tracked to find the absolute equation.

FYI Bend-Tech will allow you to do either.

http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 07-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Yes. Spring back increases linearly with increasing angle of bend.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
we have used BT pro every day for the last 5 years or so (as well as other add ons)
Interesting what you asked there, as we do a lot of roll cages for track day cars (I assume you have a US equivalent of guys that just want a cage for a car to zoom around a track in that isnt an actual race series or "racing")
Most are one offs, some strange cars from classics to modern stuff, so every build is a start from the beginning kind of thing. I never build an assembly in BT for that, but start generally with the main hoop behind the driver, measuring manually with a wooden fold out ruler which gives both dimensions, and if I measure the angle I fold the ruler out at the corners, we also have the angledata. We then make that part, measure off that for the next, BT it in the computer, and on like that until the job is done, piece by piece. I suppose most people do it that way if its something you do for a living as it is really easy to make one mistake that impacts on all the other bends - or maybe I am just not clever enough to do an assembly or a one off inside a vehicle body

Last edited by Punk Steel; 07-07-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: error
Old 07-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
this is another black art that seems different for everybody, but we seem to get 2 degrees springback of just about any tube we bend - if it is bent beyond 10 degrees. This has always been the case for us for almost a decade, but that is our machines (JMR based but heavily modified), others may vary of course so its suck it ans see, then input the data into BT to compensate ( we dont for a silly reason, our main bender with its hydraulic mod is quite fast, so it helps us not overrun the anlge, we get there, then flick the motor a couple of times to take up the last two degrees...