Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Fabricator

YJ Body Protection

This is my latest project, I designed and built front/rear tube fenders and rocker protection for this YJ im building. All of the sheet metal is 0.125" thickness. The tubing for the fenders is 1.500 x 0.120wall HREW bent using a 4.5" CLR. The tubing used for the rocker step is 1.750 x 0.120wall HREW bent using a 6.0" CLR.

Started off by laying everything out with Solidworks. Measure twice, cut once. This is the driver rear corner assembly w/ tube fender. I have modified the initial design shown here, and relocated the gas filler to the side like a TJ to make room for a license plate mount, more on that later.

This is the driver rocker assembly. It sandwiches between the body mounts, all 3 of them. There are provisions for rock lights built into the rocker sheet metal.

This is the driver front tube fender assembly. I designed these to be skins, and not actually replace the entire fender. This allows me to remove the tube fender and leave the factory inner fender in place.

This large assembly view shows how the three pieces of body armor interlock and work together. Also shown are the other assemblies ive designed and built for this YJ detailed in other threads. The tires shown here are oversized and not drawn to scale.

I sent the files over to my buddy, had them cut, then had another friend form the corners and rockers. From there i started installing them on the tub using 0.3125" hardware and 5/16-18 rivet nuts. I used hex cap screws for pre-assembly, I will use stainless button head cap screws for final assembly.

Passenger rocker sheet metal.

Rocker panel tied into body mounts. Later I will use a cutting wheel to make a provision in the underside of the rocker to clear a future roll cage mount.

Driver side sheet metal.

After i had the sheet metal test fit, i cut the front fenders with a cutting wheel.

Next I test fit the sheet metal pieces for the front tube fenders.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Fabricator

Bolted the sheet metal for the passenger side front fender in place.

Next I started on the tube work. Here are all the tubes required for this project, I used XYZ bend data created in solidworks, and fed that into a CNC tube bender, which in turn created perfect parts.

Here I tacked the first of 3 pieces onto the front tube fender.

The next piece of tubing was the wheel-well trim piece.

Next, I tacked the fender tube in place.

I used c-clamps to form the sheet metal and create a fender.

Here is the tube fender formed and tacked into place. All that remains is to finish weld and tie the tube fenders to the front core support.

This picture shows the tube work tacked in place for the passenger side.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Fabricator

Started on the driver side next.

Pictures of the driver side assemblies, formed and tacked, ready for finish welding.

So this is where I left off yesterday, I began by removing the driver side corner assembly. I prepped all the welded surfaces with 80 grit sandpaper and a scotch brite pad.

I clamped everything in place and commenced with welding. I tried to weld a little bit at a time. Im still practicing blending weld beads together to make them look seamless, i find this to be tricky with a TIG. Im trying to avoid warping the panel, which would cause re-install to be a real bitch.

Welded the tube to the fender, then the fender to the body panel.

A close up of the tube weld. I use scotch brite after welding to clean the weld, other than that welds are left untouched.

I finished the driver rear corner yesterday, between drinking beers and welding, I spent about 3 hours on this particular assembly. After I finished the welding, I sanded down the sheet metal with another pass with 80grit followed by a finish pass of 120. The next step is to install this assembly, weld in a patch panel for the gas filler, and relocate it to the side of the jeep.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Master Fabricator

Very sweet job.. nice to have a CNC bender available..

I'm just designing my fronts now, simler to yours but attached to a nose gurad.. Hope mine turns out 1/2 as good yours..

'rz Bro, Keep Up
Dog

Ohhh.. how did you find "solid works" in comparison...I have SE.4, thinking of upgrading..
Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Fabricator

Nice work and welds!!!!! I also made my own corners, flares, and fenders. It was a pain in the a$$ to bend the plate. I used a piece of pipe and heated the plate to bend it around the pipe.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Excellent work as always
I was just yesterday wondering what happend to you.....hadn't heard from you in a while. Keep us posted on your progress
Old 03-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Fabricator

Solidworks is nice, i have it installed on a laptop, so it doesnt like the large assemblies, Its really easy to use. I use inventor at work, i like it better, but mostly because its installed on a faster PC. Drawing tubing on the newer CAD software is nice, the older versions dont offer a 3D sketch option, so i could see it being a real pain to do tubing.

Ya I had a friend help me bend them with his press brake. One side turned out sweet, the other side had a bit of a warp to it. Fortunately, being 0.125" it wasnt too hard to work into shape by hand.

Thanks for the compliments, this is a work in progress, so I plan to keep the thread updated.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Fabricator

New Update

Update on progress from the past few months.

First a picture of the rivet nut installation on the driver side rear. I went with 6" center to center spacing on the fasteners. In the past i through-bolted a lot of this, which works so so, except its a pain in the ass to install. When trying to keep everything symmetric and evenly spaced, that results in quite a few blind holes. So I wanted to try rivet nuts, the steel 5/16 threaded versions have a pretty high pull out strength, which is good if I want to weld tow hooks on the fender and use it as a recovery point.

Laying out for the YJ gas filler.

Test fitting

Transfer cut out to tub.

Test fit everything, moving the gas filler was an afterthought when I realized how I much I dislike putting gas in a factory YJ. It also helped that a friend of mine convinced me to do it. So I welded in a filler plate, it was a quickie. Fortuanately for this Jeep a TJ license plate mount covers it perfectly, so that rough around the edges hardcore look was acceptable here.

A finished driver side rear corner.

Close up of the gas filler and tube flare.

Next I moved on to the passenger side rear corner. This was the corner that fit very well, so installation was about half the time. Plus I did not have to contend with the gas filler install.

Rivet nut installation on the passenger side. All fasteners again are 5/16-18

Close up view of the welder fender flare.

A finished passenger side rear fender
Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Fabricator

After finishing both rear corners, I moved on to building rocker protection. Fabrication was pretty straightforward. First I tacked everything together.

TIG welding the step to the rocker panel. Prepped everything with 80grit sandpaper and green scotch brite just before welding.

Close up of the finished step I added to each rocker. The step is 1.750 x 0.120 steel tube. The standoffs are 1.500 x 0.120 steel tube.

A finished rocker guard on the passenger side.

The last bit of body protection focused on finished the front tube fenders. I used as much of the factory inner fenders as I could. I also used them as a fixture to help hold the new tube fenders in place as I welded them. Everything was welded with a TIG. All tubing is 1.500" x .120 wall steel.

Test fit the passenger side and setup to fabricate the front grille supports.

A view from the front. Both tube fenders finished and installed. Added a couple gussets to support the fender at the grille mount.

Close of the driver side front flare finish welded.

Complete tube fender assembly, driver side. All tube fenders will be painted to match vehicle.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Very horny bro.. nice tig work.. ..wish I had the patiance

'rz Bro... Keep up;

Dog...
Old 07-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Junior Fabricator

There are too much patience on this work...but really looks nice and very aggressive... have you work the drawing as a DXF to a cnc machine?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Fabricator

Hi, i am jimmy ,Nice work and welds!!!!! I also made my own corners, flares, and fenders. It was a pain in the a$$ to bend the plate. I used a piece of pipe and heated the plate to bend it around the pipe.