Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 07-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Master Fabricator

How do you preserve that unique rusty bodywork appearance? Do you oil it or put clear on top?
Old 07-03-2014, 04:31 AM
Fabricator

It's not going to be coated with anything.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:02 AM
Fabricator

fast forward catch up time !

Made the final piece of the transmission hump. I need to trim some around the hole, then weld it in

Old 05-31-2017, 09:03 AM
Fabricator

I pulled the cab off the chassis so I could trim the hole for the trans hump, then weld the hump in. You can't see it, but i also finished welding the notch.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:04 AM
Fabricator

I'm going to shorten the lower section of the loop about 1"-2". I'm also adding rings for the exhaust to pass through and angle braces from the backhalf to the front frame stub.

some rework on a cross member. still needs a bit more modification.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:04 AM
Fabricator

welded most of the joints on the cross member and trimmed the bottom of the loop this morning. I still need to weld the back and bottom but i'll do that on the lift.

Friday I cut and fitted 2 pieces of steel to finish the floor. Today I tack welded them in place. I'm planning on putting a perimeter of angle under the floor along the back of the cab to support the back edge of the floor. I also finished the welds on the frame for the cross member and the angle reinforcements. The reinforcements made a huge difference in the rigidity of the frame. When picked up with the lift under the front half of the frame, it used to visibly flex a lot where the two halves met. Now it's not noticeable. Right now the cab is casters that i tack welded to the floor. That way I can move it around the shop easily.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:05 AM
Fabricator

To make a new column, I'm using steering column parts from 3 different dakotas, the original '41 column, some 3/4" DD shaft and one new u joint that I scored at Carlisle for 1/2 price.

I need to trim a bit more from the length and add a second support to the column housing

I'm going to make a support at the firewall with bearings in it so it all works smoothly.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Fabricator

did some more work on the steering column today and brake pedal bracket. Everything is trimmed and fitted. I need to add another support to the lower end of the column and add a flange to the shaft support that goes through the fire wall.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Fabricator

the column is now functional. I still need to replace some of the hardware and i may add some additional bracing, but it seems fairly sturdy.

I needed to have the master cylinder positioned in a spot that made it so the one mounting hole was not completely on the flat portion of the firewall. I also wanted to use the brake push rod I have as is, and not shorten it. I cut and bent a piece of 11 gauge and welded it to the firewall. The bonus is that it stiffened up the firewall too.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Fabricator

Installed throttle pedal then reworked the throttle cable and mount. I added an arm to the throttle lever so that it's a straight pull and requires more pedal travel to get to WOT.

Mounted the shifter. The linkage is not connected yet.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:09 AM
Fabricator

made the mounts for the fuel tank and dropped it in place.

I made some progress with the rear brakes too. I need to order a proportioning valve and then I can run the lines.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:10 AM
Fabricator

i didn't like the spot I was going to mount the surge tank as i had it set up in the above pics. so i came up with a new plan. I need to order a few more fittings to finish up the plumbing and then I will secure all of it with cushion clamps.

the low pressure pump

low pressure pump and return line

feed and return for the surge tank.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:11 AM
Fabricator

Oil pan fitting for future use

here you can see how close the steering shaft is to the Milodon remote filter adapter.

did a little exhaust work

and the brakes are mostly plumbed. I still need to connect the flex hose on the rear axle to the calipers.

finished up the brake lines and started prepping to install the Gleason Torsen diff and gears.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:12 AM
Fabricator

gears are installed. it took me way longer than I expected. I changed the pinion depth 3 times before I got a pattern i liked. Then it took about 8 tries to get the pinion preload to where I was happy with it. I also measured for the drive shaft so I can order it soon.

axle vent installed in the axle tube.

the passenger door would not latch. The common cause is broken springs in the latch. I removed it and opened it up and found both springs broken. I had planned on installing bear claws, then thought about buying new stock latches for about $200, then decided to fix it instead for about $25.00, I just need to order the springs.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:13 AM
Fabricator

Problem solved. Just bought an NOS passenger's side latch. Now I need to clean and lube the driver's side latch, replace a wave washer and reassemble it.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Fabricator

mounted the trans cooler. I still need to secure the hoses and get a few 10-32 lock nuts.

i mocked up the temp, oil pressure and volt gauges. These are 1 1/2" gauges. I can't find a fuel level gauge the same size.

I trimmed the stock mounting points off of a seat from a 1988 Dakota and then added extensions. Then added a piece of angle iron that connected the 2 extensions on each side as a mounting flange .

since the low pressure fuel pump and plumbing is on the passenger's side rear frame rail, i decided to put the battery on the driver's side rear frame rail.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 AM
Fabricator

mounted the ac condenser.

starting to sort out the wiring harnesses for the efi and the rest of the electrical system

Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Fabricator

more wiring

the ignition switch and headlight switch have been installed

Old 05-31-2017, 09:19 AM
Fabricator

i'm adding a passenger's side mirror. I started getting it ready today.

before

after

I ran some more wiring and mounted some relays for the fan, fuel pumps and main relay for the efi. Also mounted the MAP sensor. I still haven't decided where to put the coil yet. Also started working on the cowl lights. I need to modify the 1 wire sockets so i can use 1157 bulbs. I thought the sockets with the tabs on them were zinc plated steel. there were copper and brass so things didn't go well when i tried to take the clip off. the plan was to take the clips off and tack weld them to the new sockets. The clips got damaged and I can't use them. You can them in this pic where they are still on the original sockets. I guess i'll have to make new clips or figure something else out. the clips attach the socket to the back of the reflectors.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:20 AM
Fabricator

got some more wiring done this weekend. mounted both fuel pump relays on the passenger's side rear bed frame. The feed pump for the surge tank will turn on with ignition +. The high pressure pump is turned on by a ground signal from the computer.

I used convoluted tubing and plastic clips to run the wiring.

Also made a small bracket that mounts the trans dipstick to a header bolt.

remounted the original taillight with a dual filament socket added

and added one to the passengers side