Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 05-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Layout and measurements

Hi guys
Just been trying to do a few 2 plain bends over the weekend and a few large radius bump bends

I have bendtech pro but having few problems finding measurements just wondering what tools and ideas people have to get your measurements
ATM I'm trying to use a string line representing my tube but you touch something then the string falls down or moves then have to start again been thinking maybe I'll have to get some scrap rod and tack it all in place to find my angles Etc not only need to find bend angle but the plain angle

My other part a rear bumper I was trying to run my tube nice and flush around the bumper as the bumper is sitting on the floor I can't run a string line in it to see where my tubes running so just marked it for centre points of each bend but finding the tube is to far away from the bumper except bend points just curious how everyone else is marking there parts out so you can see exactly where the parts running to enter the measurements into BT

Anyone made any string line holders or anything just curious how you guys are doing the more complex bends or getting measurements in hard to acess spots
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 AM
Master Fabricator

This may help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock4XFab View Post
........... But here is how I set up to do all my measuring... I use magnets I purchaced from Ace hardware (see pic).. I place these on center line where all my tubes will start and end along with the intersection points( this sometimes becomes very creative holding strings in mid air). Anyway I then can measure by myself through all the points giving me all the coordinates to enter in to bend-tech................

Old 05-29-2017, 07:33 AM
Master Fabricator

another method
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfman View Post
This is what I used for my Bumper project:

It is a piece of cheap bathroom panelling from Home Depot, and a couple of plumb bobs. I dropped the plumb lines from each point I wanted to refrence, and also measured the heigth, giving me the points in 3 dimensions. After I marked all the points with a dry erase marker, I took a long straight edge, and connected the 2 end points of the bumper, drew a straight line between them, and measured every point relative to the starting point (My zero reference point, the beck edge of the drivers side of the bumper),giving me my X and Y coordinates, adding the heigth changes (Z coordinates) I measured earlier. I plugged all these points into my Bendtech software, and it came out like this:

This was my first ever bending project, and the first time I got to use my home made bender.