Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 AM
Master Fabricator

Homemade lift springs

I found a site
edit; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=90824
that showed how to reverse spring eyes, and the way that is done is to bend the springs so the arc is reversed. I figured that if you can bend the spring backwards, then you could also bend the spring MORE than stock. I've done that on one spring so it matches some others I have that I'm using for another project. It wasn't hard, I used a 12 ton hydraulic press that's worth ~C$120.00 at P.A.
Some pics so you get a better idea of what I'm talking about;

I put in the reverse bends that you can see ~ 6" in from the ends

I moved the spring about an inch each time and used about 4 strokes of the jack handle after first contact.

original curve

half done

finished

I moved the spring about an inch each time and used about 4 strokes of the jack handle after first contact.

It works as proof of concept. I have heard that they won't last as long as factory lift springs and that makes sense but its cheap. I'll be trying this on my b-II when I get a chance.
Oh, and be very careful!! I broke the first spring I tried this on and wacked a finger pretty bad.

After that I made sure that my hands were not in line with the direction the spring would go if it breaks. That was simple, I just moved the jack handle over a few inches

Richard

Last edited by alwaysFlOoReD; 01-10-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Master Fabricator

this whole concept screams bad idea to me
Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Fabricator

I am not sure but I think that when you are working the metal aren't you suppose to heat the metal before you work it???
Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocflip201 View Post
this whole concept screams bad idea to me
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom's Day Custom View Post
I am not sure but I think that when you are working the metal aren't you suppose to heat the metal before you work it???
I tried and failed, I need to learn about quenching before trying to use heat again. A couple of years ago I noticed a spring get bent while loading scrap and it stayed bent. That stayed in my head so that's why I tried without heat. I'll see how it stands up and report back when/if I see deformation.

I also edited my 1st post to provide a link to one of my research results on bending springs.

Richard

Last edited by alwaysFlOoReD; 01-10-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Master Fabricator

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1143638AAYDuWD
Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks for the link. That filled in some knowledge [re; inside radius > 25 x thickness] that I was lacking but does not give me any reason for thinking it's a bad idea for lift springs.

Richard
Old 04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Junior Fabricator

I did some re-arcing on leafs a while back and it didn't work so well for me. I arced a set of 1996 f-250 fronts to match a 6" lift set I had bought and got the bend perfect. they had about 350 000km on them and were totally shot so I did it as a experiment to see if it would work. they saged back down in about an hour. Thats not to say that it doesn't work though. An older guy that hangs at our shop used to run another machine shop in my town and he ran a spring re-arcing shop in the 80's. I guess it was quite comon back then to do this and worked like a charm. the thing i think is how they make leafs compared to the older ones. they use different matterial and form the leafs and then the heat treating gives them their springieness. the older ones used better quality steel that had a higher carbon content that gave them the spring qualitys. It's been a couple years since I read up on all this but i found it pretty interesting. I would bend them cold as the heat is going to change the temper in them and probubly affect the spring