Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Old 12-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Fabricator

Help!!!

Well I have a 2004.5 Dodge 1 ton dually slt quad cab diesel 4x4. The steering gear was wore out and leaking and the shocks were shot. So I bought a Thuren fab suspension kit. It consists of 4 remote res king 2 1/2 " shocks with a fox shock steering stabilizer as well as Thuren 3" soft rate coils and bump stops and limit straps and anti sway bar. Now when I first installed this stuff it was unreal!!! But ever since the steering gear went things have gone south. I had a borgeson steering gear and intermediate shaft installed and It was almost un drivable! So I took it to a private garage and they told me the steering gear was bad , so I returned it and got another and they put it in. It all seems good until you hit a bump and then the steering wheel it self dosen't move but the wheels dart one way or the other. Could it be that my power steering pump is not producing enough pressure or the other way too much? If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Oh yeah To all of you on the forum Have a Cool Yule!!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Sounds like Death Wobble and I'll guess based on the Dodges i have seen, you need to repair replace the Panard rod & brackets and the tie rod ends. Also you should add the steering get box brace kit.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Sounds like Death Wobble and I'll guess based on the Dodges i have seen, you need to repair replace the Panard rod & brackets and the tie rod ends. Also you should add the steering get box brace kit.
NO brackets to replace. Everything is new! Ball Joints are prosteers from dynatrac, it's got the updated 2008 steering , new trac bar or panhard bar .. so I'm at a loss?
Old 12-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Fabricator

Front end alignment get check out
They had a recall for that steering too
Also make sure you pan hard bar comes with one bushing and one joint because I found that a track bar running 2 bushing setup has alot of problems with death wobble and I xj had alot of problems with and almost killed my a couple of times..
Old 12-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked one View Post
NO brackets to replace. Everything is new! Ball Joints are prosteers from dynatrac, it's got the updated 2008 steering , new trac bar or panhard bar .. so I'm at a loss?
Well... Check every bolt and just because it's new don't mean it wasnt made in China on a Friday...
I would have someone turn the wheel slowly R & L just enough to load the steering and suspension. I hear ya that everything is new and should be tight BUT... Something ain't right and it don't cost nothing to look "Again".
Seen one where the P/side lower frame bushing was oval'd and did the DW Dance, everything in the steering was replaced and it still did it. Found it replaced the bushing and POOF problem solved.
I'll agree with taking it to a pro, but looking don't cost nothing.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Make sure that the gear box is bolted to the frame...

Old 12-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Dodge has had problems with there Steering boxes since 97. I have had 3 2010 truck in 4 months come in with issues. normal driving is fine around town. Crank it up on the hwy to anything above 60 you had better not hit a bump or your headed for the ditch. SCARY as hell. everyone including the new one out of the box had play in the sector shaft.

http://rock4xfabrication.com
1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823
Old 12-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock4XFab View Post
Dodge has had problems with there Steering boxes since 97. I have had 3 2010 truck in 4 months come in with issues. normal driving is fine around town. Crank it up on the hwy to anything above 60 you had better not hit a bump or your headed for the ditch. SCARY as hell. everyone including the new one out of the box had play in the sector shaft.
I realize that. I can't even get a dodge box up here they are back ordered so I had to buy a Borgeson steering box and intermediate shaft. I wish you all could drive it!!! It just feels like the pump over pressures or something? It just get's loose and the wheels don't wobble so much as dart? If that makes any sense??
Have a Cool Yule! Jef
Old 12-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Well... Check every bolt and just because it's new don't mean it wasnt made in China on a Friday...
I would have someone turn the wheel slowly R & L just enough to load the steering and suspension. I hear ya that everything is new and should be tight BUT... Something ain't right and it don't cost nothing to look "Again".
Seen one where the P/side lower frame bushing was oval'd and did the DW Dance, everything in the steering was replaced and it still did it. Found it replaced the bushing and POOF problem solved.
I'll agree with taking it to a pro, but looking don't cost nothing.
I will for sure!! I first got it back from the dealership and was completely disgusted with their work!! Drove it home and had to put a 1/2 liter of fluid in it. and I found out later that the the high pressure line was only hand tight!! now I know why they call them technicians instead of mechanics now. HOpe Santa was good! Jef
Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Junior Fabricator

I agree with "new meaning nothing." When I put the lift in the wifes Grand, it ended up with DW. An alighnment got rid of most of it. I had to replace the swaybar due to a weak bushing. I put in a brand new Rough Contry. Fixed'er right up. About 2 weeks later the DW was back. When I checked the frontend I noticed that the tierod joint on the swaybar had slop. The joint had litteraly blown apart inside. It had less than 300miles on it and hadn't been off-road yet. Contacted RC and they sent a new joint. They sent the wrong one. I got one from TRW that fits better than the original and comes with a lifetime replacement warrenty. No more DW.
Had it in my XJ when ever 1 lower control arm bolt would come loose after a hard day of running. Didn't loosen much, but enough the arm could move about an 1/8th inch. Took me for ever to figure that one out. lol