Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Source for Leaf Spring Bushings??

Hey Everyone,

I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee with a Rusty's 4.5" lift kit. The bushing on the shackle end of the rear leaf springs recent wore out. My buddy has the same issue with his Jeep and when he inquired with Rusty's about replacement bushings they couldn't give him a part number or an application that would work. They said that he would have to grab the dimensions and source them somewhere. Unfortunately none of the local parts stores are willing to search for anything... If you don't have a specific application.. don't bother calling. So here is a picture of what I'm looking for...

1 1/2" Outside Diameter
2 1/2" Long
9/16" Sleeve

Anyone have a source where I would be able to get replacements from?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 08-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Master Fabricator

Red face

You could try PST I have to look for a link they are in NEW Jersey I am having problems getting bushing for a Koni sway bar.

Another thought with all this people on here Some one should be able to make you a few out of the correct material . Or be a good excuse to get your own lathe

just a thought .

Have you tried any of the spring shops they may be able to match it up by size.

then to do the welding
Old 08-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Master Fabricator

I agree. I would turn them down on a lathe first. But, If necessary for a small ammount, You could make a mold and pour your own. They sell the stuff you mix up. Google "motor mount repair" or "urethane mix". The import guys have been using it to repair those rubber motor mounts for years.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Master Fabricator

You just need a new bushing for the shackle end of the leaf? Something like this? http://www.quadratec.com/products/56001_06.htm

Not that I'd necessarily go through them, but that's what you're looking for right? Leaf bushings are readily available through a lot of suppliers. Just check the measurements of some stock bushings and I bet you'll find some the right size. If yours aren't the same size as stock XJ bushings (which it seems most aftermarket companies still use the stock sized bushings) you could also try checking the sizes on other 2.5" wide leaf spring rigs, like YJ's, S10's, etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 AM

I will check on the shelf in the morning, I have a YJ bushing on the shelf from energy suspension... or you could source energy suspension and they may have the application online. Or check Day star

http://rock4xfabrication.com
1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823
Old 08-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Master Fabricator

I think Traxman25 has a large selection of urethane bushings.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 PM

I only stock a couple of sizes. I don't have anything exactly like that, but I have 1.26 OD .75 ID. on the bushing itself and sleeve them for to 1/2" bolts.

I probably could get that size but it would take a week for me to have them here.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Master Fabricator

I think I'm going to check with a few of the manufacturers... I'm sure someone could lead me in the right direction... if that fails I will check the local spring shop... if that fails I'm going to work on putting something together myself... I think I have some 1.5" tubing lying around somewhere, I found a link to some polyurethane bushings.. I'm thinking if I can find a sleeve I could make up a two piece bushing... Still brainstorming though... thanks for the info!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Can anyone forsee any reason why I wouldn't be able to convert these to a 2piece poly bushing ("T" style) and just omit the outer sleeve? Back when I worked at the restoration shop 90% of the leaf spring bushings I replaced were 2 piece with a sleeve in the middle. The only time I remember seeing a bushing with an outer sleeve was on control arms... From what I remember the inside of the spring eye on my jeep was relatively clean so I don't understand why the outer sleeve is necessary...

Actually this is kind of what I am running for the moment... I found out that I had the wrong bushings this past Saturday after I had already cut one of the old ones out. Fortunately for me the XJ bushings were too big only by the width of the outer sleeve... To get the Jeep back on the road I cut the outer sleeve off and pressed in just the rubber and the inner sleeve... I think this should last long enough to find a proper replacement.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Well I thought I would write a little conclusion to this whole mess... I ended up doing some searching and found two things:

1) Eaton Detroit Spring http://www.eatonsprings.com/downloads.htm has a pdf under "leaf spring accessories" that gives specs and part number for rubber leaf springs. All I would need to do is find something that closely matches my measurements.

2) I found some information regard leaf spring bushings from a Jeep YJ (late 80's to mid/late 90's Leaf Sprung Wrangler). I found the part numbers on NAPAonline.com and, using their measurement, confirmed that they are nearly identical to what I need for my setup.

I think I will go route number 2.

In the mean time, thanks to all for your input!