Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Suspension Badland Buggy Suspension

Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Fabricator

What is the Technical Name for this setup

I have seen this rear leaf spring setup before ad wondered about the technical aspects behind it. Anyone know what it is called or where to find info on this setup? I am referring to the rear leaf sprin arrangement

Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Master Fabricator

That is a 1/4 elliptical suspension. To give you a better idea most trucks rear suspension and older solid axle trucks had 1/2 elliptical suspension. Another form is a 3/4 elliptical suspension... That's where you take a main leaf bolt it to the frame of the vehicle above a standard 1/2 elliptical leaf and connect them with a shackle. If you look at the old horse drawn carriages they had a full ellipitcal suspension. I'll try to find some pics for you a little later to show the difference.

Paul G.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Master Fabricator

Youve already posted pics of the 1/4 elliptical suspension (with a 4 link) so here's the other type leaf suspensions.

Your standard (or not so standard) 1/2 elliptical suspension.

http://www.bajataco.com/swayaway/twopointfive-rear.jpg

Here's a write up on 3/4 elliptical.

http://longhornoffroad.com/pages/wri...ggysprings.htm

Here's an example of full elliptical suspension

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/images/fullelip.jpg

Hope this answers your question. Also like all suspensions there's pro's and con's to each.

Paul G.

Last edited by tbd85hilux; 05-27-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Fabricator

Thanks a bunch, I am pulling together all the information pro's/ con's for a 1-ton conversion on my CJ7 and just wanted to get as much information as I could before going to far. I had planned on the standard leaf spring in the rear, but wanted to weigh all options. Thanks for the information.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Fabricator

I'll say one thing & that is that the suspension set-up on the 40 series in the 1st post looks terrible, the way it is reacting & unloading to such a small step-up looks scarey !!

brooksy
Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Fabricator

The reason it looks so scary is because he doesn't have limiting straps. You typically add travel limit straps to this type of suspension. Kind of like the center limit strap used on a lot of 4-link setups. Cheap way to go and not have to throw out the cash up front for coils. Can always go to coils later because the 4-link is already done.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Fabricator

just for fun here is another pic of a 1/4 elliptical setup

Old 01-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Master Fabricator

There's been a couple threads on this.. I think there kinda kewl and want to try one with my jeep .. I've only seen one up close and personal from a friend near me.. it's a daily drive as well and has no issues with it as he says..

Cheer'z

Dog....
Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweed View Post
The reason it looks so scary is because he doesn't have limiting straps. You typically add travel limit straps to this type of suspension. Kind of like the center limit strap used on a lot of 4-link setups. Cheap way to go and not have to throw out the cash up front for coils. Can always go to coils later because the 4-link is already done.
I can see your reasoning but it isn't really correct. Limit straps are for limiting travel not to control suspension ride quality or set-up. The rear leafs are definately not set-up for the weight of that rig as you can see the leafs are causing the front to unload which is forcing the rig to lean heavily to the less incline. The rear suspension is overiding the front suspension.
But hey it's all good as by the look of the pic the set-up looks fresh so the bugs may not have been sorted at the time of the pic.

brooksy
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Master Fabricator

I would bet the ride on that first Jeep pic is a little on the bouncy side too as I don't see any shocks out back. I have a friend in Arkansas that runs a 1/4 elliptical setup on a CJ5 that is very well set up and works extremely well (coil overs on front if I remember right).

It also appears (I do have old eyes though) that the 1/4 springs may be on a pivot at the frame end which is not the way I have seen them before and might explain the extreme body lean.

Last edited by Wonk; 01-02-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Fabricator

From the looks of the picture the body lean is due to the front end not flexing. If you look at it the axle is straight in comparison to the body. The rear is doing all the work. It's kind of like an ifs toyota with the sway bar hooked up, the front stays straight, and the rear does all the work making for a very unstable ride.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Fabricator

Hey guy's you should this build post up on Pirate. He has a whole right up on it and includes additonal modes he made since then. The hardest part is getting the spring rate right. I know I am still working on mine.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweed View Post
Hey guy's you should this build post up on Pirate. He has a whole right up on it and includes additonal modes he made since then. The hardest part is getting the spring rate right. I know I am still working on mine.

Got a link?