Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 06-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Day job fabrication

I have not been doing offroad fabrication for some time, but I have done some work for the day job. Im a heavy equipment operator most of the time. The company I work for builds anything so Im exposed to alot and do a wide variety of things. Sometimes things come up and they call on me to whip something up to help. I thought I would share some of these things since its still fab and I havent shared much the last couple years.

This first one I will show you was for a solar project we did. The large panels were shipped upright and we needed to tip them over to pick them one at a time for installation. These are huge heavy fragile panels. These pictures should finish the story...

Old 06-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Master Fabricator

This next one is just a big wrench. I installed a huge plate roll that we bought from an outfit out of italy for a shop we built for the water dept. The company from italy sent a guy to help us put it together. These large turn buckles needed to be tightened. The guy asked me if I had a wrench to tighten them since he could not fit his tools in his carry-on. I told him I didnt have one, but I could make one and bring it to work the next day. He thought it was strange that I had a cnc plasma in my garage at home.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Master Fabricator

This one was interesting. We are apart of a new hospital ground up build. Our company is contracted for all the communication and power infrastructure. The back up generators are a part of that. Usually when we install big generators, we get a huge crane and set them easy breezy before the roof goes on. Early in the project when the big iron was going up for the hospital, they dropped 2 "I" beams. The prime contractor told us that we could not install the generators until after the roof was on because they were afraid they would drop a beam on them. That means we have to go to more primitive means of rolling them in. We thought we could just build an approach, set them on rollers and use the fork lift or tractor to push them in. Customer says "no" to pushing them in. Now its becoming a pain in the ass. My boss says then we will pull them in. He told me to make some anchor plates to use a chain fall or come-a-long. So I made these.

A couple days before we were going to install the generators, there was a prepatory meeting and the QC said "your not drilling holes in my new concrete to anchor those plates. I dont want patches in my new concrete!"

So we cant use a crane, we cant push them in, and now we cant anchor into the concrete!!!
These things are big (34,000 lbs) and we have to install 3 of them through one hole.

My boss told me to go look at what we could do. There is a fuel trench to feed the generators. 2 foot wide and 2 foot deep. I thought about making a wedge. I drew this on the board in the office and he said make it happen.

So I made 2 wedges that would accept the anchor plates that I had made earlier and it worked out sweet.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Master Fabricator

This one I started this last week. The electricians are getting ready to start pulling wire at the new hospital project. Lots and lots of wire. When they order these medium sized spools they usually use a pair of jack stands with rollers mounted on top. The medium sized spools (3-4 foot) are not big enough to use our large trailers for wire pull. Using the jack stands is a bitch cause they fall over and slip to the side and jam up. My boss said we need to build something. he showed me a sketch he made and said build what I think will work, and make 2 of them. The goal is a skid that can be forked from any side and can hold 4 spools. I googled around and saw this and thought to copy some ideas.

I like that it was a top load. It also has a back stop so the shaft cant slide out. It also has a latch so when the spool gets light towards the end of the pull, it wont flop out of the rollers.

I started by building 2 skids...

Then drew up my version of the bearing supports and latch and made some parts.

I will finish this in a couple days and post more pics, and later when its in use.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Master Fabricator

Now that's thinking with your dipstick!!!

Seriously, though, fantastic work! I really like your solution for moving the generators. That could have turned into a serious pissing contest had you not come up with a resolution.

Did you get to keep the big wrench?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Master Fabricator

As if you haven't heard it before, your a talented dude!

And...is that a pile of potatoes on your bench?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post

Did you get to keep the big wrench?
Thanks Graham08. It was becoming a bit of a tense moment.

I thought it best to leave the wrench with the machine. Those tension rods support the top roll and the operator may or may not need it some day.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:59 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
And...is that a pile of potatoes on your bench?
Thanks bullnerd.

Yes those are potatoes! I grow alot of fruits and vegetables in the back yard. I had my daughter dig some out of a container we had them growing in. When we BBQ'd on memorial day I had my wife make some home grown potato salad. The ones on the bench are my little ones that will be my seed potatoes for later.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Master Fabricator

I finished welding and assembling one of the two today. It looks like it will work great and maybe hold up to the abuse of the job site for some time. Im curious how long until all the pins are missing and the latches are torn off. I put chains on the pins and an extra set of axles tucked in that are smaller if they need it. Time will tell. I was nervous about how much heat the bearings were exposed to. They are sealed, and very pricey. I welded them in instead of bolts so they would never get loose.

Last edited by ScooteK; 06-06-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Very nice! Well thought out!
Old 06-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Slick shit there brother! I like all of it. I, too, might wonder about someone that "just happens to have a CNC plasma cutter at home."

Love it.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

That's some awesome stuff there Andy! You're a talented problem-solver. They're lucky to have you! How old is your daughter? See looks a lot older than I imagined.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Master Fabricator

She is 7 Clint.

Here are the wire spool skids in use. The electricians love them.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Here is last week. The electricians on another job are trying to install some gear that is to tall to get through the door. I was told they needed to tip them on the side and roll them in the building. I was sent to that job site to make it easy for them to do it. I was told to make a huge furniture dolly or something. I looked at the gear and saw the chassis was strong enough to just add wheels. There were 5 pieces. 4 of them had different widths. They all bolt together when installed.

I put some rollers on the bottom to make it smooth tilting down and up.

They used a chain fall from an I beam in the roof to upright them.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Master Fabricator

nicely done andy!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:23 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Problem solver!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Master Fabricator

Another great solution!

You guys deal with some serious wire there! I don't imagine that stuff is fun to pull.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks guys.

Pulling those little wires (conductors) is hard if its by hand. They are probably using a little tugger. A power drum anchored down that you put a couple wraps of the pull rope around. When they pull the big wire latter (700mcm) they will use large machines.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Master Fabricator

So I happened to be at our yard one day and the equipment manager asked me to look at one of our old 10 wheelers to see if I had any ideas to fix the tail gate. It was so bent that the load would spill all over the road. I could fit my hand in the gap so Im sure it would make a huge mess. In years past we have just pushed it with a large excavator to bend it back in a bit. The truck is old and ugly so why not. It was the end of the day so I just told him to send it out to a shop and have them just build a new one.
Thats what I get for opening my big mouth. The big boss called me and asked me to just build it.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice work!