Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Master Fabricator

I really like that attic space. I wanted the same "room-in-attic" trusses like you have, but my buddy that got me the trusses warned me that they're *really* expensive. Since I'm just using my attic for storage space, mine are spread web, with a 2x6 bottom chord.

Nice work thus far!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
damn nice, very jealous of the overhead room
yeah my two car garage sucks compared to what u got. i want to move in .... i will bring my tools and can learn to share
Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Expedition Vehicles Aust.

Great place to sleep when you are in trouble with the wife!
Better get a beer fridge and a TV up there!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Master Fabricator

Thats a damn sweet shop and awsome work. You will like the radiant floor heat. I put it in my shop when I built it an love it. The only thing I wish I would have done differently was put a pit area for run off from wet/snowy vehicles/snowmobiles. I use a shop vac to suck up water and sucks. The floor dries very quickly though.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Junior Fabricator

Dude I have a pretty big and nice shop 30x60 or so I thought until I saw yours man this thing is sweet I now offically have shop envy LOL good job on the nice shop
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks guys.

No real progress. Im hoping to get the power wire pulled out there in the next few weeks.

Dan
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Super tidy work Dan,thats a lovely building
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Master Fabricator

Two weekends ago I finally got real power ran. It was much easier than expected (I had thoughts of it getting stuck while pulling etc), but with help from a friend and my wife and daughter it went super smooth.

Last week I managed to start wiring some outlets and switches etc. Currently I just have two outlets working, but its coming along. (yes I need to sleeve the ground wire green, I just keep forgetting)

This weekend I framed up the little "rooms" in the rear of the barn, which the ceiling of will serve as a storage area. The first section in the corner will be for the floor heat system as well as the compressor. The second is for the parts washer, sink and fridge, the third is still "for rent" and the last little section under the stairs will be for the engine hoist, stand, jackstands, etc. Also started on some framing to partially close in the stairwell between the two posts shown in the second pic.

Dan
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Master Fabricator

Nicely done! I see you mounted your panel upside-down...we did this in my house and it saved a bunch of grief trying to bend 4/0 cable around the inside of the panel.

I like the storage loft and the rooms under it. You can't have too much storage.

That's one hell of a stairway! I had to put a landing in mine because I didn't have enough room to fit it in place with a reasonable pitch.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks. It only makes sense to mount the box upside down if the wires are coming from below. I think that set of stairs is something like 21' long.

Been getting a ton of framing done the last few days.

Finished up the purlins, window blocking and outlet box mounts on the southern wall.

Half wall going up the stairs

Wall at the top of the stairs

Im hoping to have the rest of the purlins up by the end of the weekend, then time to crank on the electrical.

Dan
Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Master Fabricator

No updates for a while here. I have about 1/3 of the wiring done, which isnt very exciting to look at.

Today they brought in gravel to make the parking area along the north side of the barn for my camper and landscape trailer. So I now have another 1300+sqft of driveway or so. Hoping this weekend to get some topsoil delivered so I can taper most of it into the lawn and get some seed going.

Dan
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice! glad to see more updates! I will be living vicariously through you and your shop as it exceeds mine by miles!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks great! That's what I have left on my shop build, too: drainage and landscaping, and some updates to the driveway.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Finally got part of the driveway back filled last week. Took almost 4 yards of dirt to do that one little area. Im going to need a LOT more to do the north side.

Ive also been working a TON on the wiring. I think in another week or so Ill be basically "done", other than wiring in the final lights (which I cant do until the ceiling is in), etc. I dont really have many pics yet. Ill snap some when its finished.

Lights in the rear "rooms":

I also added a separate 100A subpanel box in the opposite rear corner. Its saving me a ton of wire and work as the compressor, welders, hot water heater, lift, and half of the upstairs outlets are closer to this point than to the main panel. Also if we ever get a generator I can put it behind the barn and have a full 100A run all the way back to the house.

Dan
Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Borrowed the neighbors Kubota yesterday and cleaned up the stones at the back of the building. When they put the parking area down the side it went a couple feet farther than I wanted (as shown by the larger dirt patch). I also had a pile of other gravel left over (from what I used down the south side) so I spread that out along the back as well. It only goes half way as I will eventually be putting up a "shed" back there to replace my current pos shed. Anyway, this stone area will be home to a 200 gallon rain "barrel" that Im working on as well as the propane tank for the heater and probably rusty car parts. *Yes, I realize the gutter is going up hill, this is only temp until I can get the rain barrel going*

I also started installing the upstairs lighting. I scored 14 these for $10 each with bulbs, plus he gave me a box of probably 15-20 spare bulbs. They are all 2-bulb T8 fixtures that were apparently removed from a local high school (some still had spit balls on them, lol). Charlotte HS for anyone local reading this.

I have 12 of them mounted and two wired up. These two turn on from the bottom of the stairs so that I can find my way to the storage area at night without having to turn on 12 lights. The other 10 will turn on via two switches at the top of the stairs.

Dan
Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Master Fabricator

Keep the updates coming!!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Awesome. Some day I would like to do something like this.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Yesterday after work I cranked out more wiring.

- Installed 7 more outlets in the "fabrication area".
- installed a second outside motion light
- finished wiring up the upstairs lights, and boy are they niiiice. I cant imagine how bright it will be once there are nice bright white walls up there. These pics were taken at 1:30 am so it was def dark outside.

I just need to run two lines for ceiling fans, and add outlets for the TIG welder and compressor and I THINK Ill be done.

Dan
Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Very Nice! In my opinion you can't have too many lights!

My shop is only 24x32, and has 12 banks of 4, 4ft florescent bulbs.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Fabricator

very nice shop, what is the siding on it? how much did the concrete floor cost you? i think instead of a house i would be happy with something like this and just live upstairs, lol.