Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks great,here it's no more than 200mm pipe centre and pipe is usually laid closer to surface,steel usually about 1/3 of dept from base ,pipe is also usually returned beside itself if you get me so you dont have cold spots near end of runs,different ideas everywhere i guess,would solar tubes help you out in winter there?
PS if it's PEX it doesnt have oxy barrier but no issue really i think,you'd just need to use a good additive or keep floor system seperate
PEX AL PE is the norm in Europe

Last edited by 350 Vortec; 09-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Master Fabricator

It definitely has the O2 barrier.

I used the leaf blower to blow a majority of the dust out today. Man it was everywhere. Then my daughter and I hosed it all down and squeegeed it out. Looks sooo much better. I also got the last little bit of concrete splatter off the trim.

They are coming in the am to measure for the stairs. Hopefully they dont take too long to make. Its a pain accessing the upstairs by ladder.

Dan
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm curious,could you post a pic of where the overhead door meets the floor?And where the little step in the floor is in relation?

Just had my 3040 floor done and not too thrilled with the way they did it.there was a miscomunication between me and the contractor.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Fabricator

nice !!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
I'm curious,could you post a pic of where the overhead door meets the floor?And where the little step in the floor is in relation?

Just had my 3040 floor done and not too thrilled with the way they did it.there was a miscomunication between me and the contractor.
Ill get a pic tonight. I TOTALLY forgot about this when I was out there yesterday.

Didnt get a ton done on it this weekend. I spent most of the day saturday scoring some free cabinets, drawers, a table saw and dust collection system for the shop.

Yesterday I poured a step in front of the man door on the south side. I TOTALLY forgot to get this ready before they poured the garage floor so I had to put my mason hat on and do it myself.

I also drove in two ground rods for the electric service. Luckily I was able to borrow this guy to drive them in with. Worked like a champ, even in my super bony ground.

Dan
Old 09-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Fabricator

The rotohammer is great but the best is a backhoe with a skilled op, just push them down and be done, like 10 sec!

What was spec for your area? 5/8" x 8' rod and 12" under grade? Do they require you to bond the building skin to the panel as well?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
The rotohammer is great but the best is a backhoe with a skilled op, just push them down and be done, like 10 sec!

What was spec for your area? 5/8" x 8' rod and 12" under grade? Do they require you to bond the building skin to the panel as well?
Unfortunately I dont have a backhoe or an experienced operator for it.

Yes, as far as the size and depth of the rod. He didnt mention bonding it to the skin.

Ive been working on interior purlins this week. No pics to show for it yet.

Yesterday after work my daughter and I stared building a rolling bench. I figured if I built it now I could use it during construction and then have it for after as well.

It still needs some more cross bracing and the top and shelf but its coming together nicely. I tossed a scrap piece of osb on it last night and it worked out awesome. The work surface will be 3'x6' and its ~38" tall.

Dan
Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice, Very Nice Shop.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Lots happened today but I didnt get time for many pics.

The gutters were installed this am. Hopefully that will keep some of the mud off the side of the building until I get the stones done.

I ran the ground wire from the panel box to the ground rods, covered them up with soil and got a decent start on the stones down the south (yard) side. I got about 2x as far as the pic here shows.

I also had a friend shear me a free piece of 3/16" diamond plate to use under the door as a kick plate. You can just make it out in the stones pic above. Ill get more tomorrow. (for the record I really dont like diamond plate, but it should hold up really well and it was $0)

After I got tired of digging up sod, setting bricks and shoveling stones I cut out the tops for the rolling workbench. They are just made from some 3/4" particle board with grey melamine (I believe) on both sides. I scored two sheets free from a friend of mine. The edging is a dark blue (looks much lighter in the pics) that I purchased from www.t-molding.com. Its pretty simple to install, just cut a 1/16" groove around the edge with the router and pound it in. Its a nice look for 50 cents or so per foot. I still need to attach the panels, but I need to collect the pocket drill jig from my dads first.

Dan
Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Junior Fabricator

Your shop is surely a source of envy! Great one!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Master Fabricator

Saturday my daughter and I finished up the stones down the south, yard, side of the barn. I still need to back fill with dirt, but I think Im going to wait until spring so its not a mess of dirt all winter.

Also, we finally got a chance and enough guys to lift the 21' long stairs into place. So nice to be able to walk up now.

Not much else is happening out there right now. Ive been busy with other things.

Dan
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Junior Fabricator

That is an awesome build.I am getting ready to get the ball rolling on a 30x30 pole barn down here in NC.I had a 30x30 stick garage built back when I lived on L.I. NY. I was spoiled.I have a two car attached garage now with my whole shop in it.Your build is an inspiration! Great Job !
Old 11-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Fabricator

That is a great looking shed, what plans do you have for the interior fitout ?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Junior Fabricator

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have into it so far???

Looks AWESOME!!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Fabricator

Whatever you do, don't go to places like http://www.garagejournal.com/ for ideas as you will never finsh the fitout. Life was so simple when I was happy with a dirty concrete floor :)
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnFab View Post
That is a great looking shed, what plans do you have for the interior fitout ?
Im going to do the inside with the steel white liner panels. However, Im going to do the bottom 40" or so with the same light grey I used on the upper part of the outside to break it up a bit and keep the bottom "cleaner". Ill probably use a dark blue for the Z trim between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdesigns View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have into it so far???
Looks AWESOME!!
$48,977.47 , exactly. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGOOMBA View Post
That is an awesome build.I am getting ready to get the ball rolling on a 30x30 pole barn down here in NC.I had a 30x30 stick garage built back when I lived on L.I. NY. I was spoiled.I have a two car attached garage now with my whole shop in it.Your build is an inspiration! Great Job !
Thanks!

I have a little more work done in the last couple weeks, but no pics yet. Ill snap some the next time its light enough out.

Dan
Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Master Fabricator

So a while back I stumbled on a deal for some cheap laminate flooring for 29 cents / sqft. I bought just under 1k sqft to do the attic shop area of the barn and the other part of our basement someday. Since the upstairs of the barn will mostly be a wood shop, I wanted something that would be easy to clean up sawdust. This fit the bill.

I did most of the install over the week of Thanksgiving as I was off, and just finished it up last sat (I need to get some finished pics yet).

The wall is to create a storage area at the far end, its ~!6x16, leaving me with 32x16 for the shop area.

A few in progress pics:

Ill try to snap some complete ones next time Im home and its light out.

Dan
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Fabricator

Looks great
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Master Fabricator

damn nice, very jealous of the overhead room
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Pics of the finished laminate

Dan