Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:24 AM
Master Fabricator

Got a new bandsaw

I found a new to me bandsaw and was able to talk the financing department (wife) to let me get it. It is a Cosen SH-1016 mitering bandsaw with a 1 inch blade.

The only thing I don't like about it is the crank handle for closing the vise. I might look for a way to add an air or hydraulic cylinder for the vise closer. The saw already has a hydraulic pump and cylinder to raise and lower the head.

What do you think?

Steve

Old 07-31-2016, 10:47 AM
Designer & Builder

Very good looking saw.
Every time I use my saw I wish I have a powered vise of some sort. It only needs to move for clamping about 1/16". I would think adding a pancake cylinder to the existing moveable jaw and then add a lock to keep the moveable jaw in place. Keep in mind I'm usually cutting 10-30 of the same parts. A long cylinder just to move the movable/clamping jaw would probably stick way out past the machine frame, but that's not saying it can't be done. Hydraulic would be preferred for larger material holding and is somewhat easier to control speed on.
I like the idea of keeping the original jaw functional since not all material requires the same clamping force.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice looking saw! Every time I've seen the brand Cosen mentioned it's been in the context of higher-end industrial quality equipment.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Spent two days using the new bansaw. I have been using a cold saw to miter with. Now i think I have been converted.

The saw has a auto open function. Once the cut is finished , the saw raises to a set point.

Now to get the clamps to open after the cut!

Steve
Old 09-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Designer & Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambled View Post
Spent two days using the new bansaw. I have been using a cold saw to miter with. Now i think I have been converted.

The saw has a auto open function. Once the cut is finished , the saw raises to a set point.

Now to get the clamps to open after the cut!

Steve
The reset lift is so handy, I added that to by little Jet band saw, and on my big saw I installed an air lift cylinder the lifts the saw arm to an adjustable stop but is activated by a toggle switch right now.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Master Fabricator

This saw uses hydraulics to raise and lower the head. It has the screw for opening and closing the clamps. A cylinder, solenoid valve, pressure regulator, and a few relays is all I think I need to convert the clamp to hydraulic.

Steve