Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Need a new pipe notcher

Hi all-

I am tired of repairing my worn out pipe notcher. It is a 15-20 year old "joint Jigger". It worked good for what it was. I only paid $150 or so for it.

So it is time for something new. I could get the same type on E-bay, but I am looking for something better.

I don't need the notcher to do any weird type of off-set notches, all I do is straight pipe.

On the old joint jigger, I had to replace the part where the drill chuck attached to the shaft. I ended up threading the shaft, so I could just screw a new one on once it started slipping. I saw one where you remove the drill chuck, and thread the shaft to the drill. This eliminated the chuck. Anyone use this?

The old one was mounted vertically. Some of the better ones--Baileigh, JD2 are mounted horizontally. Any suggestions and why>

I usually notch from 3/4 pipe to 2 1/2 pipe.

I am about to start on 300 linear feet off aluminum pipe handrails with 3/4 pipe pickets, so I need to make a decision quickly ish.

Budget is up to 600-700 dollars

Thanks for the help

Steve