Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Yep, the white that you see is basically the primer or whatever they put down before the rubber undercoating. Its quite tough. If you dont reverse the wire wheel (and keep the bristles laid down and spinning in one direction) it wont even take it off.

Dan
Old 10-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Whats you're next task after the undercoating is finished? I'm really craving some juicedz4 fabrication goodness.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Master Fabricator

Subframe / chassis bracing. To what extent I havent 100% decided yet.

Then I need to finish up the engine bay welding / grinding

And hopefully get all that in epoxy primer before it gets really cold out.

Dan
Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Finished up the few areas I was previously unable to get to last night (under the seat, between the pinch weld and floor), and the rear wheel well, and the front and real "roll pans". So now the floor and the drivers wheel wells are done for the most part. I have a bit more to do around the spare tire well, which honestly, Im dreading trying to get in there, so Im going to ignore it for now.

Then I started mounting some critical features (front swaybar, gas tank, axle beam) so I can work on the subframe bracing which I ordered metal for yesterday.

Hopefully the next few updates will be a little more interesting.

Dan
Old 10-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Master Fabricator

Flipped the car the other way and got the pass front wheel well and rocker stripped. I finally got out my vibrating multi-tool with a scraper blade to tackle the scraping, and oh how do I wish I had sooner. It was SO much easier and faster. I scraped a big portion of the front well in 15mins. Anyway heres the boring results after wire wheeling and wiping down.

The tubing for the subframe bracing also showed. Im hoping to be done with scraping this week so I can start on that next.

Dan
Old 10-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice! That looks really clean underneath the undercoating.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Master Fabricator

It does. There are a few spots of surface rust and one very small hole in the rear seat pan, its like a random pin hole. Luckily. Sometimes you find lots of nasty surprises under this super thick rubber undercoating if it comes loose. Luckily mine was very well attached. Also the car spent most of its life in MA, which seems to use more sand than salt as Im STILL removing sand stuck to the cosmoline or paraffin or w/e the wax is that VW uses.

Dan
Old 10-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Master Fabricator

Almost done with the pass rear wheel well. Just need a smaller wheel to get in around the gas filler. And the part Im dreading, around the spare tire well. Its totally going to suck trying to get in there, so for now Im going to ignore it and start on the subframe bracing.

Started trying to get a rough idea of tube placement before I start cutting. Looks like Im going to have to either notch the tubing to get over the little oem subframe braces up front, or notch the braces themselves (then plate over or something). Im basically making a box with an X through it, except there will be no front straight across tube (although, looking at it now I suppose there could be). I also have plans (in fact I already rolled the tubing to clear the trans) to make another X up front on the control arm mounting points.

Dan
Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Master Fabricator

Finally, some real progress.

I rolled these bars months ago when the car was still together to be sure they would clear everything so it was mostly a matter of notching and cutting them to length.

The rear cross bar will be welded to the LCA / swaybar mounts. I was out of tubing so Ill need to grab another piece this week so I can finish.

Trimmed the drain holes on the lower rocker so that the tubing could fit tight along the entire rocker. (no pic), and tacked the tube in place.

Notched the OE subframe brace for the x brace tube. Im going to brace that area with a U shaped piece of 12ga to tie it all together so its not just welded to the edge of that OE brace. It looks like the x brace will be able to weld to the floor in quite a few areas, which was the plan.

Dan
Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Master Fabricator

That is pretty slick! A roll bender is quickly making it's way to the top of my wish list. The SWAG Offroad one looks really nice and the price is right. Which one do you have?
Old 10-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks!

I borrowed a HF one from a friend to do these. It worked pretty decent but I could see on larger dia or thicker wall tubing it would quickly become difficult. I think adding the SWAG plates to the HF one would be a good compromise considering how much it would actually get used. Though I could see using it more if I had one....

What I really need is a new tubing notcher. Ive had a HF one for 10 years now and while it does work its getting very beat (shocker). Any recommendations? Id love a Baleigh, but Id prefer not to spend ~$500.

Dan
Old 10-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Master Fabricator

I have the HF Roller with the swag plates and it made a 100% difference in ease of rolling.
He even added the power roller feature which is pretty cool because you end up with a power pipe threader as well, 2 tools in 1.

My notcher suggestion would be the notchmaster with the Swag Reach Around Arm.
Great quality, not outrageous price.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Master Fabricator

I have the Baileigh TN-250. It was worth the money to me, but I completely get not wanting to have nearly $600 tied up in a notcher.

I just looked over at the Trick Tools site and found this from JMR:

http://www.trick-tools.com/RaceLine-...6#.ViZLf36rTRY

It looks pretty versatile and the price is pretty reasonable, but I have not used one.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Master Fabricator

I looked at that JMR one yesterday. It does seem very nice for the price. At this point pretty much anything will be HUGE upgrade, hah.

I like that it does offset notches. I had to shim my HF one with washers to get the right angle / offset doing these curved tubes.

Dan
Old 10-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

So glad to see you back to fabricating. I love roll bent parts - too bad they will be hidden underneath.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
So glad to see you back to fabricating. I love roll bent parts - too bad they will be hidden underneath.
You and me both. Im likely going to powder this red to match the upper brace, so you may get a glimpse of it.

Ill have to get a nice pic from underneath on a lift when its all together.

Dan
Old 10-21-2015, 09:27 AM
Master Fabricator

Finished tacking up the front brace last night. Still need to add some flat stock in a couple places to beef up the OE LCA/swaybar mount that I welded to, but I need to blast the rest of the powder off first.

Then I tackled the large X brace. The basic structure is all tacked up. Im still debating if I want to add a front lateral tube or just leave it as is. Up next I need to add jacking plates and some plates here/there to tie it into the floor.

Dan
Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Switched gears and went back to working on the engine bay since I really want to get it in primer before the middle of winter so it will be easier to keep it hot for 24 hours.

I only have one pic but I did all sorts of random stuff including:

-removing more undercoating/chip guard
-grinding smooth OE spot welds
-welded up a couple holes in the trans mount
-grinding smooth the edges of panels that didnt align 100% correctly at the factory (for example inside the holes for the tie rods - the inner and outer panels were misaligned by 1/16 to 1/8" in places , not now :)) or that were deformed near the edges from overzealous spot welding etc.
-hammered out a few of the square recesses in the firewall and other random dings etc
-stitch welded a few small seams
-and put a few dozen more tacks on the lower core support panel. Which is my only pic.

Dan
Old 10-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Master Fabricator

Finished playing connect the dots on the lower core support piece and ground it smooth.

Then tackled the top side.

Still need to do two small pieces on the vertical part of the core support under the frame rails, as there are a couple holes there I dont need or want seen, then I think it will be ready.

Up next I need to pattern the wiper box / heater area so I can sheet over it in one smooth piece.

Dan
Old 10-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Do you think a 16V Turbo VW Cabriolet can compete for the Ridler Award?

Is this what Rallye shops due, or is this your own brain child.