Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Master Fabricator

So when is this build going to be completed... has to be close!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Not far off in terms of workload but pretty far off in terms of time. I have no expectations set because I can't get the time in the garage.

Here is an export of the task list I've compiled in Gmail. Some of this is just random reminders for myself. I haven't structured it like I would a proper project plan mainly because I have no real deadline and tend to work on what I feel like working on in the moments I actually have time.

Finish exhaust welding and h-pipe
Tighten PS lines
Fiberglass and paint AC box
Fuel rail bolts
Loctite fuel line
Mount kickdown switch
Finish & paint coil bracket
Install VSS
Steam vent to radiator
Radiator and heater hoses
Assemble body components
Suspension
Swap rear leaf springs
Install shocks
Sway bar endlinks
Driveshaft lengthen
Mount condensor
Transmission cooling lines
Fan shroud/mounting
Fuel system
Install fuel pump
Plumb fuel lines
Install battery
Battery Mount
disconnect switch
Distribution posts
Main and starter wiring
Alternator wiring
Wiring
Fuse/relay center
Fuel pump
Order fuses + relays
OBD Port
APP throttle pedal
VSS
O2s
Gauges
Plug wires
Fans
ECM programming
Pre-fire
Fill transmission
Fill PS
Fill engine oil
Fill oil filter
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Master Fabricator

Only slightly longer then my project list. Only mine includes painting the damn thing.

Keep at it.
Jaysin
Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I have no real deadline and tend to work on what I feel like working on in the moments I actually have time.
After reading 460+ comments in almost 4 yrs. reading the list yet to be done.. I'm hoping it gets finished before I die .. ..

Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 PM

Thanks to your comments I put 30min into welding exhaust tonight, but ran out if gas (shielding) before I could finish. I do want to finish this before Frog Dog dies. Thanks for the motivation.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I put 30min into welding exhaust tonight, but ran out if gas (shielding) before I could finish.
Clint !!, My brother, My bro, My best friend forever... If I hadn't told ya once, I've told ya twice .. " Always keep a spare " ...

Old 03-16-2014, 01:00 AM

Exchanged the bottle on Friday and finished up the welding tonight. Just left the O2 bungs tacked in case the angles need to be tweaked. Probably shouldn't have even tacked them in until it was hung but I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Not sure what the best method is for adding the h-pipe. Was thinking it might take a few R&Rs to fit up a tube, mark where it fits, pull the pipes, cut out the holes, put the pipes back in, tack in the H-pipe, remove the pipe, weld, then finally reinstall for good. Sound about right?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Exchanged the bottle on Friday and finished up the welding tonight. Just left the O2 bungs tacked in case the angles need to be tweaked. Probably shouldn't have even tacked them in until it was hung but I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Not sure what the best method is for adding the h-pipe. Was thinking it might take a few R&Rs to fit up a tube, mark where it fits, pull the pipes, cut out the holes, put the pipes back in, tack in the H-pipe, remove the pipe, weld, then finally reinstall for good. Sound about right?
Assemble the two pipes into position.
Completely fit the cross-over.
Trace around the outside with a sharpie
Remove and cut a tube thickness inside the line you drew
Deburr
Re assemble and fit refit the Cross-over.
Tack hard in say 10 places all around.
Remove (if necessary) and weld Cross-over in place.

E
Old 03-16-2014, 01:18 AM

Thanks e. I think we're saying the same thing. I'm just not looking forward to all the crawling under the car to get things in and out.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Thanks e. I think we're saying the same thing. I'm just not looking forward to all the crawling under the car to get things in and out.
Prolly, it was a long day yesterday.
E
Old 05-06-2014, 02:08 PM

I am using a 4th gen Camaro alternator bracket with the "truck" DR44 alternator. The bracket needs to be spaced to match the truck accessory spacing, so I picked up a pair of 19mm L x 19mm OD x 10mm ID spacers from aluminumspacers.com. You can make them out in the photo below. I think technically they should be 20mm to match the exact spacing between the truck and Camaro accessory spacing, but I don't think the belt will be sensitive to 1mm and this was an inexpensive off-the-shelf solution. If it doesn't work out I will get the exact right size from Misumi.

I also made a very simple wire harness hanger from a cushioned wire clamp and 3/4 x 1/8 flatbar which I drilled and twisted 90 degrees to mount on the lower alternator bolt.

Most of the engine wiring runs through this section along the top of the frame and then over the inner fenderwell where it will be hidden leading to the ECM.

Here is the exhaust shown tacked together, although I finished welding it now and it's currently being stored upright in the garage until I get the driveshaft retubed. I've decided not to put the H-pipe into it myself and plan to take it to an exhaust shop after the car is running because I have just plain had enough of crawling around under the car. I'm looking into a set of pre-bent tailpipes from Jegs which I can only assume are made by IMCO.

Next up I bought a "SureFit" AC condenser & drier kit from Vintage Air that included mounting brackets and prebent tube from the condenser to the drier specific to this car. It includes about the largest universal parallel flow AC condenser that can fit in this space (14x24) which should be great for AC performance, but the mounting and positioning with the VA brackets is unacceptable for me. Here are some photos after installing it with the VA brackets:

With this mounting the condenser was shifted way over to the driver's side and there was contact/interference at the bottom driver's side corner between the condenser end tube/cap and the core support. Even when I spaced the thing out at the bottom to clear, having the lower bracket at the middle allows the whole condenser to rock a bit and I'm sure it would end up rattling against the core support in this mounting configuration. Not to mention the air flow is far from ideal with a good portion of the driver side of the condenser masked by the core support and the passenger side end cap blocking flow to the radiator.

I talked to VA a few times over the phone and sent photos; they say my positioning is per instructions and looks the same as their install, but couldn't understand why I'm having a problem. I wasn't very impressed with the tech support and they seemed to be more interested in telling me how this should work fine as is than offering to help resolve the issue or improve their own product. So I gave up on VA's help and started down my own path which should improve the overall fit & performance, but isn't plug & play like what I thought I was buying.

I had some 3/16" aluminum bar sitting around so I made a few simple brackets on the bandsaw & drill press.

With my revised mounting, the condenser is centered on the radiator opening and sits about 1/2" away from the radiator itself. It is supported at the four corners and I suspect will offer better cooling capacity. Unfortunately I will have to make more custom lines, but that shouldn't be a big deal and I can at least use the condenser and drier that came with the VA kit. I would like to add some rubber isolators at the 4 corners - I just need to find suitable hardware.

With that out of the way, I am now on to figuring out how to mount the transmission and/or power steering coolers, but that is the subject of another thread for now. My goals are to get the transmission lines ran and then work on the fan shroud so I finish off wiring.

Last edited by TheBandit; 05-06-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:38 AM

Finally picked up a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal and started working on my fan shroud. Originally I planned to use the plastic shroud from the Volvo (see this post), but it positioned the fan toward the passenger side and, as it turns out, I need the fan shifted toward the opposite side for cold air intake clearance. I have virtually no sheet metal tools: a jigsaw, hand shears - that's pretty much it. I don't own a brake, bead roller, shear, or any of the fun stuff. So I decided to try my hand at forming with clamps and hammer. I cut a piece of 3/4" oak plywood to use as a form, routed two edges with a 3/8" radius, and got to work.

Here is the first bend, going over the 3/8" radius edge. This is WAY under clamped. The result is that the part shifted on the form and I had to tweak it a bit afterwards. I added more clamps for future bends.

The radius bends (well the second one I did anyway) turned out great. I used a rubber mallet staying right on the edge of the from, working end to end over many blows, finally ending with what you see above. I left extra on the ends and used hand shears to trim to length once done. I also used a jig saw to cut the fan opening.

On to the next, more clamps this time. This one is over a hard edge (no radius). I wanted radiuses on all four edges, but I didn't have room due to the diameter of the fan and where the flanges need to be for mounting.

I added another bend to the shroud to make the upper flange, but didn't take any photos in process. Here it is mocked up; I still need to do the lower flange.

Well that's where I'm at. The top needs to be trimmed and I think I'm going to fold it over on itself to make a non-sharp edge.

Last edited by TheBandit; 07-10-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Master Fabricator

You have to be proud of that shroud right, it looks like a really nice piece.

I want to try embossing the empty spaces like in the "shroud 101 thread".
Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Thank you. I am proud of it, but mostly excited to learn and try out something new. I have very little experience with sheet metal so I am stoked it looks half decent despite my inexperience and crude technique. I have to thank Jaysin for inspiration. He posted this great thread describing how he made his shroud which made me want to do radius bends and also this awesome video showing people making something from virtually nothing using very simple hand tools.

I had plans to try debossing it using a press form (see this thread) but have since abandoned the idea after realizing the fan needed to be offset to one side and that the debossed area will likely be obscured by cold air intake etc. In the end it probably wouldn't be seen, so I will save my time for other things. I am still considering adding flaps in that area to allow air flow when going down the road.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Master Fabricator

Two big thumbs up!! Your fan shroud turned out excellent. I am really glad you decided to just go for it. I am also very happy to be a bit of inspiration for someone and the fact that the Third World fabrication videos helped is just that much better.

Good work Bandit!

Jaysin
Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 AM

Another task in progress is the transmission cooler and lines. If you recall the car had a set of coolers mounted by the previous owner as shown below:

I have since put in a Griffen radiator with an integral cooler, so I am going to just use one of the two auxiliary coolers in series with the radiator. Below is the mounting I've devised. I put the cooler with ports at top and bottom so air will more readily bleed out (inlet bottom, outlet top). I bent 3/4" x 1/8" flatbar by hand in the vise and did the z-bracket on my press brake.

I added a few holes on the side of the z-bracket, but I don't think they will have much effect. For the plumbing, I am using the same 3/8" steel tubing I used for fuel lines. You can see the lines going into and out of the radiator in the photos below of the fan shroud. I had to use a hard 90 degree fitting at the top port of the radiator for cold air intake clearance. Otherwise the bends are about 1" CLR.

For the lines going back to the transmission cooler, I have very little room to work due to the AC compressor, bracket and tensioner. I decided to try running hardlines along the outside of the frame rail. I ran one of them and it looks okay - photos are linked below because I did not resize them appropriately for the forum.

http://cjnn.xtremefabricator.com/ima...ly6swap748.JPG

http://cjnn.xtremefabricator.com/ima...ly6swap749.JPG

My plan is to add bulkhead fittings and a bracket on top of the frame rail near the back then run braided hose over the top of the headers to the transmission. Hopefully I can tear this all off in a few years and put in a 3rd pedal / six speed.

Last edited by TheBandit; 07-10-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
Two big thumbs up!! Your fan shroud turned out excellent. I am really glad you decided to just go for it. I am also very happy to be a bit of inspiration for someone and the fact that the Third World fabrication videos helped is just that much better.

Good work Bandit!

Jaysin
You just made my day! Seriously.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I have to thank Jaysin for inspiration. He posted this great thread describing how he made his shroud which made me want to do radius bends and also this awesome video showing people making something from virtually nothing using very simple hand tools.
Yes that was the thread/instructional I was referring to, a great source of info.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks great! Being able to make cool stuff with primitive tools is the mark of a good fabricator. I think that not embossing the shroud was the right call. Sometimes less is more on these things.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Not really an update, but since we bought a new home, I spent a day getting the Nova into a rolling state, slapped on the sheet metal with a few bolts, and zip-tied everything up so it could be moved. Pushed her out into the street and called AAA for a tow.

It's been way too long since I've seen it on all fours from more than 3 ft away. Here's a look from the side.

We are all moved in now and working on home renovation projects so I expect she will continue to collect rust and dust most of this year.