Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 07-06-2008, 01:42 PM
OFN Member

I have their link and have heard good things about them....I just did not see any Sedans on their site...I will order a catalog....Thanks

This is the one I am looking at.....if this big deal I have brewing goes through I might just get it....I dont like the way they z'ed it but it can be changed....

Tell me what is your opinion on this....its close enough to drive and pick it up...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230267933322..

Chopworx.com
Old 07-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Theres a bunch of good sedan bodies & 1/2 finished Model A rat rod projects on Ebay too.

Dqracer
QuickEngineering.net
Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Master Fabricator

I live nearby Brookville Roadster. I have been to there facilities to help with a die forming issue on a rear quarter. I toured the place and must say they are good at what they do. I have a catalog and could get you there info if you want.
If you decide to make a purchase from them, let me know if I can help in anyway.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Master Fabricator

one thing to add about Brookville roadster. They travel to all of the big shows and swap meets. They use this to sometimes deliver large parts, so I would check on that if you were to buy a reproduction body or something.

Back on topic.
I have always wondered how you do your glass windshield and all after a chop. I think on Spike today they showed it and I missed the show. This seems to never be mentioned.................
Old 07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
OFN Member

Good question, I believe if the chop is done correctly the front is just cut at the top, the door windows at the bottom...but I do not know about the rear sides and back...

Also post some more pics of the channel, if you could.....

Chopworx.com
Old 07-06-2008, 03:12 PM
OFN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopars 4 Life View Post
Awesome thread Twister!!! Scooter said something about quartering a roof..is this like stretching or shortening it to make the tilted A pillars line up??
Keep it up!!
Brian
Isnt that where instead of cutting the roof completely off they leave the rear attached and cut a pie shape out along the side dropping the side and front....I seen them do that on American Hotrod.....

Chopworx.com
Old 07-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Awesome thread Twister!!! Scooter said something about quartering a roof..is this like stretching or shortening it to make the tilted A pillars line up??
Keep it up!!
Brian
Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Yes, quartering a roof is exactly that, you cut it length wise down the middle & side to side , you have 4 pieces, then you position ,line up and level each 1/4 section over the pillar base it was cut from , then you fab up sheet metal to fill in the X in the roof. sometimes it is easier to go to a salvage yard and cut the roof sheetmetal out of a full size late model sedan with a similar curvature to its roof panel and use it as the filler piece for the whole roof panel.
I've chopped a few street rods thru the years , its can be a scary deal .. and ya need to know when to say "No" to the customer if his Chop job is to crazy to do..(later model stuff with curved glass)

Dqracer
QuickEngineering.net
Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Cool..I bet that new stuff would be crazy!!! I'm mostly surprised that a oldie with a regular roof can even be found!!
Thanks,
Brian
Old 07-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Tese are some pics of the last chop I did, sory about the pics they are before digital cameras ,and scaned from polaroids....LOL (kids ask whats a polaroid..? )
The truck is a 52 Dodge, I built a custom frame, with all the drivetrain from a
84 300-Z Turbo Nissan, I took 4 inches out of the top, notice the back 1/4 windows are curved , I made the cut right under the windows, so the bottoms would line up with the side door glass bottom sills. This truck never made it to the street, as the customer got a divorce and he sold it when it was 85% finished , just needed paint and interior, its a shame,allot of wasted work..LOL I think the truck caused his divorce..

Dqracer
QuickEngineering.net

Last edited by Dqracer; 01-13-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dqracer View Post
Here ya go..Keith.. http://www.brookville-roadster.com/ bring your big check book...LOL they have excellent bodies though, probably safe to say they are the best..
Brookville makes a nice Roadster steel body, no coupes or sedans that I know of! As far Model a doors its a pain in the A$$ only because the door overlaps the body in the top, rear, and bottom... its not a flush fit like modern cars. Also a problem with the narrow doors, and running boards. It just makes it clusmsy to get in and out. Watch the hidden door hindge only because of the window clearence. It all can be done! Just depends on how bad you want it? Now the 32 and sucide doors, it's an automatic!

Ive got a V.W. Body all over the shop floor right now, and DQRacer is right.Know when to say no! Ive done a lot of chops over the years. It can all be done with the right tools and some basic metal working skills... and sometimes some big stones! lol Next on the cutting board is a 1947 Lincoln Zephyr.

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 07-07-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Don't have the huevo's to start cuttin on a Zepher,,, good luck and may god bless all the tools in yer shop...LOL

Dqracer
QuickEngineering.net
Old 07-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithXtreme View Post
Isnt that where instead of cutting the roof completely off they leave the rear attached and cut a pie shape out along the side dropping the side and front....I seen them do that on American Hotrod.....
Theres a lot of ways to skin a cat! The wedge shaped chop is referred to as a tapper chop... and there is a few variations of that. I strongly suggest a photo chop or if you can, a photoshop chop before tring the real thing. It just gives you a better feel for what has to happen to get it to all fit back up when done. when you do a photo chop be sure to do a front and rear chop also...
Old 07-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Fabricator

here is a pic of the 5.5 inch chop i did on my 42 chevy cab.

chops are fun, there is no right way to do it, just have to get it all to line up when its done
Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Master Fabricator

I have been following this thread and have gotten my little 4 yo son into the "spirit". Our plan is to find something like the old model A and rat rod it. He saw one I took a picture of and thought it was the coolest thing! I definately need to do my research, but this is without a doubt, at the top of the MUST DO list!

This kind of work almost deserves it's own category. I friggin' love rat rods! Bare bones bad ass...Period.

Great work all!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Junior Fabricator

Just wondering how to properly channel a Model A

Cool rod man. Just wondering if you have any more pics of how to properly channel a Model A. I have one but somebody cut the bottom of the car off and I have had to buy all new sheet metal to replace what was cut off and now I want to channel it and mount it to the frame. Can you offer any advice on how to do that? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL TWISTER View Post
When a car is channeled, it usually means you cut the floor out and slide the body down over the frame futher. This car was channeled 5 inches. Ill dig out some pics of that.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddog1 View Post
Cool rod man. Just wondering if you have any more pics of how to properly channel a Model A. I have one but somebody cut the bottom of the car off and I have had to buy all new sheet metal to replace what was cut off and now I want to channel it and mount it to the frame. Can you offer any advice on how to do that? Thanks.
The key is to get the body all cropped up to the height you want it. Making sure you have all the clearances figured out. Ie tranny, driveshafts, bell housing, etc. Trew up the body on the frame then its just a matter of tying it all together. It really is very straight forward. With out a s/m brake and some basic Sheet metal tools it could turn into a real project for ya. These pics were saved on a computer that is froze up ant the present time so I dont have any more pics right now. Go to the Hamb http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=12 or the Killbilit forum http://www.killbillet.com/ do some searching and you will find your answer.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddog1 View Post
dude, your brake booster is in the wrong place :)
Old 02-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Junior Fabricator

Thank you!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Master Fabricator

Wow, you were digging deep to find this one. Your welcome, I guess?

Your first post for real? Welcome to the OFN...