Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Workbench/Weld table productivity idea

This is not an original idea. I am not sure where I saw it first, maybe on here. Anyway, I did it in my shop and I love it so I thought I would share. It's a small parts/tools tray under the edge of my fabrication bench. It seems like I am always loosing my sharpie/center punch/whatever in the clutter. This tray gives me a place to throw it and even some spares of different colors so that I do not have to run to the toolbox for another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgSz1HmZ1ks

On another note, I am a YouTube junkie. I follow the likes of MrPete222, Kieth Fenner, OxTool, Diresta, Kieth Rucker and Abom79 religiously. The video above reflects my aspirations to contribute to the knowledge base available on YouTube. If you have time, take a look at some of my other videos and let me know what you think. All constructive criticism is welcome and I have more videos coming. If you like what you see or think there is potential, feel free to hit subscribe.

Regards,
Scott

PS: I know I say "Uhm" too much
Old 11-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Nice solution!

Here's a return idea: spring loaded center punch. I've fallen in love with these things; just push hard and an internal spring mechanism will fire off a nice punch. No need for a hammer. http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-T...h-89/202025674

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:04 PM
Master Fabricator

I did something similar on my old welding table. I found an old pull out keyboard from a discarded computer desk and affixed it under the table top. Worked well except it would get full of grinding dust and whatnot, had to vacuum it out regularly. I have thought of doing the same but making the drawer out of perforated sheet so the dust falls through. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

I see your push punch and raise it to THIS. They are a bit wierd to get used to because you pull and release instead of push but they hit far harder then the standard push punch.

Jaysin
Old 11-20-2015, 02:05 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice little detail for a weld table. I just made a grinder hook for mine today. I left you a couple comments. Gotta get your youtube rep up if we can!

Oh, and it's shiny Al! Bling!
Old 11-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Master Fabricator

I had a spring loaded center punch and wore it out. The only thing they do not allow you to do is to do an initial light punch to check for position and then come back with a deep hit.

I also have a set of the springtools punches. They are tucked away in their cases and I never think of getting them out. Maybe now I should pull them out and leave them in the new tray?

Thanks RougeFab, I like your ideas and also wish I had made that outside lip 1-1/4" instead of 3/4" so that I could better clip my tape measures on.