Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
The hardest thing to build is something that has 'Race Car' performance expectations that will be driven on the street. You have already compromised the priority of engine cooling with the silly AC system thus allowing me to easily say; of course that is a good location!
LOL. Yes I am taking a hit for mounting that big condenser on there, but it sure is going to be nice having chilled air in the cabin. I have been wanting to get the AC working on this car since I've owned it. Fortunately I did invest in a big Griffin radiator which I think will be up to the task of cooling this despite the handicap.

I don't have race car expectations, that's for sure, but I would like it to handle more like an OEM sports car - something that doesn't ride like a rock, but can enjoy powering through the occasional corner.

Quote:
I also understand that there is only so much real estate on the core support to hang Coolers off of but I would try to get the AT cooler into its own air stream if I could; even if I had to duct that air in through the bumper and dump it under the chassis after the splitter.
I have looked around and there really isn't a dedicated air stream to put it in. The bumper has some openings about the right size for these coolers, but they are needed also to feed the radiator so no matter what I do, I'll be robbing some air from the cooling stream.

Quote:
Have you ever had an issue with the PS heating? Like trying to parallel park in a spot that is 'just' big enough? Parallel parking is about as brutal as it gets on the street. I've never had a healthy Saginaw PS system in a car over heat, road or track.
As far as I know, I have not, but I also haven't tracked the car much. I had heard some groaning/whining from the system occasionally, but I always chalked that up to an old PS pump (now I have a new one with the LSx). It seems like a lot of the "pro-touring" crowd has jumped onto the PS cooler bandwagon, but most probably know as much as I do about this which is virtually nothing. There are a few people who I know track their cars and have reported issues with steering that were resolved with coolers or better pumps. I did find some discussion here about that.

As you mentioned, most PS coolers are smaller than these and it seems the tube & fin style is more prolific, possibly due to lower pressure drop despite reduced cooling capacity. The C5 Vorvettes used a single pass tube & fin unit (image) and the C6 just use multi pass tubes without fins (image. I have read it's a popular mod to add larger coolers to those cars, whether that is out of necessity I don't know.

Quote:
In the end only you know that you need
I wish that were true, but unfortunately I just plain don't know what I need yet. After thinking through this more, it is probably better that I start out without a cooler and keep an eye on things, maybe check the PS fluid temperature after running it hard and see where it stands.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM

For mounting, I'm thinking about the below simple-to-execute mounting using 3/4" x 1/8" flat bar for the driver side of the cooler and a z-bracket (not shown) for the passenger side. With this arrangement, the cooler would be spaced from the condenser by maybe 1/2" or so.

Last edited by TheBandit; 05-05-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Master Fabricator

One minor point that you should check on.
In the past I have been told by power steering guru'z and Hydraulic type peoplez that you do not want to run a stack plate cooler on a PS system only the Tube-Fin type. What I have been told is the Stack Plate can not flow like the Tube-Fin and system failure can result. With the AT or Engine Coolers it is not an issue because both of those operate at significantly higher pressures and volumes... True not? I will not swear to; but I do not use anything but T/F type coolers in the PS.

E
Old 05-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Master Fabricator

FWIW, my wife's DD Chevy Trailblazer has a cute little tube/fin P/S cooler on it. I don't know how effective it really is, but I figure if GM spent the money to put it in the system, there was a good reason.

Here's a link to the part on Rock Auto...sorry for the small pic.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...881&cc=1432188
Old 05-06-2014, 01:19 PM

Those single loop tube & fin coolers are integrated into lots of OEM PS systems now. I think they are using them to achieve high life from the hydroboost/steering fluid to improve the service interval, the same reason oil coolers are standard now on many OEM applications. I'm sure it doesn't hurt the reliability of the pump and connected components either. All reasons for me to consider adding a cooler, but possibly not of the plate & fin type.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:44 PM

Got started on that idea:

WIP of course. The z-bracket needs to be cut down some to fit around the lower condenser outlet and I'm thinking it should be drilled a bunch to allow airflow from the side. Or maybe I should just cut a pair of narrower legs out of it and forget about supporting the full edge?

Last edited by TheBandit; 05-08-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Master Fabricator

I like it. I don't know that it will really make that much difference, but I prefer supporting the whole edge like you have done here. I'm sure drilling will help with airflow, and it will also look cool.