Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 11-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Design it so that the returns are tangential to the ID that way any air that is picked up will be (theoretically) centrifuged out. Look at a Dry Sump tank for ideas.

E
Oof... You're right... Hrmm, let me see what I can do with that idea. I'm slightly limited on space but yea, thats the way to do it. Let me see what kind of goodies I can scrounge up.

Thanks gents! Greatly appreciate it!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Master Fabricator

So this is what I've come up with so far on this...

The can is that 5" HREW but I bead rolled to lips into it. I had an old remote oil filter and canister mount that came with another WWII truck I had. It wasn't correct but I thought it was cool so I kept it around. I am reusing the design of it for the PS res mount but had to make longer clamp arms. Made a little die for the press to bend the new ones. My TIG welding still kinda sucks but I'm getting better!

Old 11-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Nicely done. Love the custom tool.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:09 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Nicely done. Love the custom tool.
Thank ya! Its turning out fair I think. Not perfect but hey, never built something like this before.

Not bolted in tight, and not finish welded but ya'll get the ideas.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice. That's the coolest PS reservoir I've ever seen!

And your TIG skills don't suck that bad. Practice, practice, practice.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:50 AM
Master Fabricator

Oh great... You can't use battleship wood on this! You're going to get the purists all agitated again (still)...

Just kidding. Man I don't know many people that have talent like you and STILL want to do better. It makes my day to see this thing still moving along! Keep it going!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:31 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.S.F.W View Post
Oh great... You can't use battleship wood on this! You're going to get the purists all agitated again (still)...
Hah! Too late! Over on Pirate4x4 there is a Gen4x4 thread and a few other guys are talking about modernization of these trucks, Civilian, WC, M37s, etc, and a couple of grouches are pulling the "Historical Preservation and Education of the Youth"... Umm, kids aren't going to a museum to look at old trucks; but if they are in traffic and see one they are going to say "Hey!! what is that, its pretty darn cool?"... and probably look it up on their smart phones because thats what kids do these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.S.F.W View Post
Just kidding. Man I don't know many people that have talent like you and STILL want to do better. It makes my day to see this thing still moving along! Keep it going!
I wouldn't call it talent, I'd call it persistence. I have an idea of what I want this thing to be in my head, but a lot of the details are gray and are being worked out along the way. I just need to continue to learn and improve my tool set and skill set to kick this project along. Speaking of which, I did recently purchase a 1943 Bridgeport Mill that needs some loving.

In regards to this project, not much to report on. Just running hoses, fittings, etc. Not really all that exciting. Waiting on my wiring components to show up so that I can hopefully get this engine to fire for just a few seconds as I'm actually yet to hear this thing run.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Master Fabricator

Well whatever it's ... Talent, or persistence it's impressive!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:58 PM
Master Fabricator

I have actually started on some wiring. I'm using a 37 pin Amphenol for the firewall bulkhead connection. Will I use all 37 wires? Doubtful; but wiring them all up now for eventual functionality. The connectors have a low amperage rating meaning most of these will just be switching wires to other relay stuff under the hood. I'm still waiting on my 20 circuit Infinitybox system to show up and one of the primary power cells will control the goodies on the tail end of this thing.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Have you come across a good tech guide for those connectors to help with terminal selection and assembly / assembly tools? It seems like there are a million variants of those mil-spec connectors, bodies, shells, etc.

What is the function of the Infinitybox and how do you plan to use it?
Old 01-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Curiosity, so I looked at the price. OUCH!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:03 PM

Okay I looked a little further and realized it's an ISIS system. Similar functionality to what OEMs do with body control modules and sort of integrates modular circuit protection and allows for functions like dim-on/off lighting, remote start, etc. It has a fuse/relay system, some microcontroller functions, and databus. Still curious how you plan to use it on this build and what functionality you're trying to get out of it. I'm a tech/automation guy, but I've always felt like they were a bit overkill.

Here's an overview of ISIS:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/interio...iring-systems/
Old 01-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Have you come across a good tech guide for those connectors to help with terminal selection and assembly / assembly tools? It seems like there are a million variants of those mil-spec connectors, bodies, shells, etc.

The mil-spec ones are either solder in or use a special pin crimp tool which is expensive so I found as many solder in ones as I could. As for designations and figuring out sizes and interchange, its based on shell size number, which mine are 28s, and then there is a designation for each piece of the shell and connector, and then Pin numbers. Mouser.com is pretty good at helping you break down the id stuff and sort through what they have. I got all mine surplus through auction because they are very expensive new, but my stuff is NOS.

As for the Infinitybox... the thing its best at so far is being almost a month beyond is delivery date. 3-4 weeks is now 8 weeks... So without having it in hand I don't want to start too much layout of bulkhead.

It is overkill, for sure. One of the big things for me on it is space. Sneaking in upgrades down the road like power windows, programing for things like the blinker cutting off after 60 seconds if I forget to leave it on. I can use all of my old original switches wired to ground circuits so the amperage and voltage is fairly low and simple for each switch. A lot of the circuits are already pre-planned similar to a Painless kit. The guys at painless were kinda rude when I talked to them at an Auto show back a few years back. Yes, the system is expensive but its got good support. They are changing their name from ISIS due to things going on in the world as well.

There is always a "better way" to do something and there is always a "different" way to do something, very rare are those two things the same. If I don't try something new, I might regret it. Maybe I'm caught up in flashy computer gadgets and this is a terrible idea. Only time will tell... if it ever shows up to my door.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Master Fabricator

20 Circuit Infinitybox system arrived finally. Again, yes, overkill. But look at the truck, whats not overkill?

Old 02-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Master Fabricator

I look forward to your usual detailed posts on just how this assembles and works.

E
Old 02-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Master Fabricator

Theres more to it than I will use, but the cleanliness of the system, controls, inputs and functions are worth it in my opinion. The wiring will actually be fairly simple and on par with the painless systems and possibly even easier.

Learning new tricks... Looks much better than the Clecos.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks real nice. Are they hard to put in?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaner View Post
Looks real nice. Are they hard to put in?
Not really, its certainly a "feel for it" that I need to refine. Easier with two people.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Started spread sheet pin locating my wiring system and will be building some mounts for the control modules here next. In the mean time I got the brake pedal assembly prototype put together. Should work. The position of the cross bar is adjustable on the MC pushrod, the hanger to push rod swing is fairly flat, the pedal toe position is not fully set, and the upper hinge points are modular so that if my pedal mechanical ratio is too far off from my Hydroboost setup I can dial it one way or the other.. However, all of the math is based off of pedal ratios, pressures, and hydraulic volumes using multiple hydroboosted vehicles as design base lines and I built this system to fall within those numbers considering my hydraulic advantage base on volumes, travel of MC and then the mechanical advantage of the pedal hinge, length, and push rod ratios. And yes thats an old brake controller under the dash, was there from the previous owner and I just haven't removed it. Not really sure why either.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Master Fabricator

More rivets. Not the best at this, but learning slowly. Buck bar got away from me once or twice. Oh well. Truck is not perfect, I'm not perfect; we match. 22 guage, 1/8" steel annealed rivets, 4x hammer. Should support, cover, and mostly protect the front PowerCell and locate it fairly near the Cummins ECM.