Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum


General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 09-10-2014, 03:03 PM
BAILEIGH INC's Avatar
BAILEIGH INC BAILEIGH INC is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 1,323
Geat video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnqFnShSJvQ

[/quote]
__________________
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-11-2014, 01:25 AM
quadboy's Avatar
quadboy quadboy is offline
Junior Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
What the thickest metal you can or have bent ?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-15-2014, 01:36 PM
AlxJ64's Avatar
AlxJ64 AlxJ64 is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chesapeake,Va
Posts: 150
Saving my pennies and trying to sell some parts to pick one of these up. Would I be best to order direct through you guys Shane? Or go through a Vendor? Who's that special someone to speak to about the shop banner?

Btw, this is PowerwagonBuilder from Instagram, you shared my "Dirty Hands Anvil" last week and for that I thank you! I ended up selling 3 of them via IG messages and Paypal... money in your pocket for a new Baileigh Tool!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-15-2014, 02:14 PM
BAILEIGH INC's Avatar
BAILEIGH INC BAILEIGH INC is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
Saving my pennies and trying to sell some parts to pick one of these up. Would I be best to order direct through you guys Shane? Or go through a Vendor? Who's that special someone to speak to about the shop banner?

Btw, this is PowerwagonBuilder from Instagram, you shared my "Dirty Hands Anvil" last week and for that I thank you! I ended up selling 3 of them via IG messages and Paypal... money in your pocket for a new Baileigh Tool!
Glad to help the cause brother......

Call me direct for the hookup 920-482-3220
__________________
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Jhnyquest's Avatar
Jhnyquest Jhnyquest is offline
Fabricator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South West Michigan
Posts: 33
How thick of material can you bend with this?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 PM
TheBandit's Avatar
TheBandit TheBandit is offline
Instagram @chevyhotrodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 4,361
These specs say 16 gauge for steel 20 gauge for stainless:
http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/...brake-bb-4816m
__________________
Clint

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM
BAILEIGH INC's Avatar
BAILEIGH INC BAILEIGH INC is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 1,323


Insane.....
__________________
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Jhnyquest's Avatar
Jhnyquest Jhnyquest is offline
Fabricator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South West Michigan
Posts: 33
Impressive
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-29-2014, 10:56 AM
AlxJ64's Avatar
AlxJ64 AlxJ64 is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chesapeake,Va
Posts: 150
Mine showed up while I was out of town on a work trip. Getting caught up with day to day stuff, expect some future updates. I'm excited for this thing. Thanks again Shane and I'll have plenty of pics to share once I get back in the swing of things. I haven't even had time to finish unpacking it yet.

Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-17-2015, 10:11 AM
AlxJ64's Avatar
AlxJ64 AlxJ64 is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chesapeake,Va
Posts: 150
So far I love the versatility of this machine for making reproduction or custom parts for my WWII truck rest-mod... but for some reason I can't for the life of me... see the forest for the trees... on how to bend a small shaped hat with it.

The part is small, which may be the problem (thats what she said)...

The hat is 1" tall, with .5" wide leg flanges and a .75" wide center flange and I am using 16 gauge. Its a reproduction seat support flange for a WWII truck. Its structural and aesthetic so I'd like it to be correct.

Can I bend this on the mag brake? So far I end up with one leg that I can't get far enough into the bender because of the other leg hitting the brake leaf.... Advice... I really feel like a newb for asking this because Baileigh lists the "Stiffening Rib" in their "possible bends" portion of the manual but no real advice on methodology as they do for the hem or rolled stock bends.

Thanks in advance for your patience or mockery.

In all serious though, any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-19-2015, 09:14 AM
BAILEIGH INC's Avatar
BAILEIGH INC BAILEIGH INC is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
So far I love the versatility of this machine for making reproduction or custom parts for my WWII truck rest-mod... but for some reason I can't for the life of me... see the forest for the trees... on how to bend a small shaped hat with it.

The part is small, which may be the problem (thats what she said)...

The hat is 1" tall, with .5" wide leg flanges and a .75" wide center flange and I am using 16 gauge. Its a reproduction seat support flange for a WWII truck. Its structural and aesthetic so I'd like it to be correct.

Can I bend this on the mag brake? So far I end up with one leg that I can't get far enough into the bender because of the other leg hitting the brake leaf.... Advice... I really feel like a newb for asking this because Baileigh lists the "Stiffening Rib" in their "possible bends" portion of the manual but no real advice on methodology as they do for the hem or rolled stock bends.

Thanks in advance for your patience or mockery.

In all serious though, any advice? Thanks!
I can help....send me a pic shenderson@baileigh.com
__________________
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-19-2015, 11:37 AM
fabcam's Avatar
fabcam fabcam is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 4,568
It is a 1" tall "U" bracket with .75 across the middle. Add .5 flanges on each end that flare out at 90 degrees. Basically looks like a cross section of a top hat (hence the term "hat section").

__________________
The Designers of Bend-Tech Products
www.Bend-Tech.com
Bend-Tech Dragon web site:
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-19-2015, 11:45 AM
BAILEIGH INC's Avatar
BAILEIGH INC BAILEIGH INC is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 1,323
It looks like it might be a little too small for the mag brake. You need around an inch lip or so (depending on the material tensile strength)
__________________
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 PM
fabcam's Avatar
fabcam fabcam is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILEIGH INC View Post
It looks like it might be a little too small for the mag brake. You need around an inch lip or so (depending on the material tensile strength)
How could it be done if the values were an inch or 2?
__________________
The Designers of Bend-Tech Products
www.Bend-Tech.com
Bend-Tech Dragon web site:
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-19-2015, 01:03 PM
alwaysFlOoReD's Avatar
alwaysFlOoReD alwaysFlOoReD is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Red Deer,AB Canada
Posts: 708
I use a light duty 10 1/2' brake bending aluminum cladding for windows and doors. The manufacterer spec for flanges is 3/4". I regularly get 1/2" by clamping the flange side and bending on the long side of the alum. sheet. On shorter lengths I can get to 1/4" flange. Perhaps that technique could be used here?

Edit; it just clicked why he's having problems. I take it that from the edge of the clamp to the outside of the bending arm is longer than the measurement B minus T-1 [material thickness]?

Last edited by alwaysFlOoReD; 01-19-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-19-2015, 02:17 PM
fabcam's Avatar
fabcam fabcam is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 4,568
Yea, it sounds like the reverse bending is forcing the material into the table or into the swing arms. Can I guy unbolt the extra rail so the material can lip over the end?
__________________
The Designers of Bend-Tech Products
www.Bend-Tech.com
Bend-Tech Dragon web site:
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 PM
BAILEIGH INC's Avatar
BAILEIGH INC BAILEIGH INC is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabcam View Post
Yea, it sounds like the reverse bending is forcing the material into the table or into the swing arms. Can I guy unbolt the extra rail so the material can lip over the end?
Yes it comes off, we are trying to make the part here and are struggling
__________________
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-19-2015, 03:32 PM
entropy's Avatar
entropy entropy is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 95-miles from the center of Oregon.
Posts: 8,354
Make all the bends in your brake to about 45 in the correct direction.
Take a piece of hard wood or Aluminum (stuffer) that is slightly smaller then the inside of the hat when finished.
Using an old fashioned vice with the inside of the top of the hat above the vice jaws (or the other way round depending on the vice) and simply squeeze the part into the "U" shape.
Flip the part over in the vice and position the part so that the vice jaws are right on the bend line and using an aluminum bar about 1/2" thick and gently work the bend to the 90 that you want for both flanges.
Tune up the bends as necessary and sand to remove any tooling marks.

Sorry can't help with the magpress
__________________
When did empirical knowledge get replaced by a theoretical education?

Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-13-2015, 08:31 PM
kazlx's Avatar
kazlx kazlx is offline
Junior Fabricator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 26
They are awesome. This project is nothing fancy, but way better than a finger brake.



Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 AM
BAILEIGH INC's Avatar
BAILEIGH INC BAILEIGH INC is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 1,323
__________________
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
Copyright 2012, Offroad Fabrication Network